Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Gorgon

Downloads
    Uploads
    The weakness in this is that why hasn't he at least conquered a wide RADIUS around Kal-Saitharak? Well... I didn't say the plan was completely perfect.
    It may not be perfect, but it's one of the most interesting new ideas I've heard as an explanation for the Gorgon's inability to conquer Anuire. I'm not sure if I like the 5% per province idea per se, but the basic premise that the Gorgon is tied to his seat of power in Kal-Saitharak is really very good. There are a lot of variations on that theme that could be played out - like time away weakens him, rather than distance. Or just monkey with the distance factors a bit (I think 5% per province is a bit harsh - if I used that idea I would tone down the penalties somewhat).

Heh heh, it might do very well to explain how the Gorgon got all that xp to level up so high, though - if he's only fighting enemies at a certain percent of his full strength, then he's effectively a lower level character, which means lower CR creatures should still grant him some xp awards when he defeats them. Very pat. B)

Downloads
    Uploads
    In a message dated 3/31/05 11:18:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,

brnetboard@BIRTHRIGHT.NET writes:

<< IMC, I`ve had the big G take a different tact: he marched from the

Gorgon`s Crown into the lower Giantdowns, easily sweeping aside the pathetic Watch

and the few settlers there. Occupy, invest, then build highways, straight from

kal-Saitharak to the doorstep of Dhoesone...now the Gorgon has a whole new

front on Anuire. >>

Thought about that once, when I was running the Giantdowns, but I could never

get the Players interested in taking the reins, so I could watch them try to

buck up the Dhoesone-Tuarhievel alliance.

Overall, I`m in the camp that thinks he comes out to "harvest" and is

playing god with "his" continent. Although, I wonder if he is concerned about

the Serpent, Raven and Magian? If he weakens himself visibly, one of them might

dump a big realm spell on him.

Lee.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Gorgon is also a general at heart. Military victories are important to him, and while he alone might be able to wade through a few units of Anuirean knights, he might lose hundreds of men in a battle. Generals have this incredible love of controlling large battles, but most of them do feel the remorse of when their men lose or even win a Pyrrhic victory. The Gorgon, far from being chaotic evil, probably plays on this very much.

Another thing to wonder about is the Realm of the White Witch. With the Crown separated from it by the speedbumps that are the Giantdowns, would the Gorgon be nervous about a large military undertaking in Anuire with such a powerful nation behind it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another thing to wonder about is the Realm of the White Witch. With the Crown separated from it by the speedbumps that are the Giantdowns, would the Gorgon be nervous about a large military undertaking in Anuire with such a powerful nation behind it?
    I doubt it. The White Witch had a hard time taking just one province of the whole Giantdowns, and can&#39;t really hold it very well since she&#39;s relying on a disloyal captain to do so. The WW has too many enemies of her own - it seems Ghuralli is too strong for her to conquer, never mind the far superior forces of the Gorgon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In a message dated 4/7/05 11:11:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,

<< Another thing to wonder about is the Realm of the White Witch. With the

Crown separated from it by the speedbumps that are the Giantdowns, would the

Gorgon be nervous about a large military undertaking in Anuire with such a

powerful nation behind it? >>

I`d say she has a way to go to get into G`s league.

Lee.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The white witch has a ways to go before she is in the same ball game as the Gorgon and I don&#39;t think even If the Gorgon luanched a major attack she would dare to incure the Gorgon&#39;s wraith. But if the White witch strengthened her realm and added some more income or land to her kingdom she might get bold enough to stand against the Gorgon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For long-lived awnshegh and other heroes or villains of renown, it&#39;s not just a question of domain strength, either...personal power, and how one measures up one-on-one, eclipse the size of one&#39;s income or domain or armies...though domain and bloodline can be pretty important too. As a regent, the Gorgon is nigh-invincible (just try to get into an RP bidding war with the big G, and watch what happens), and as a personal combatant, well...history tells the fates of his foes well enough. The greatest fear anyone, particularly one with a strong bloodline, must possess is the fear of incurring the personal wrath of the Gorgon. The White Witch would very rapidly end up as just another victim, one more spark of bloodpower on the path to godhood.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Though the Gorgon seems invinceable, there are ways...
    In the campaign I played in our DM used a cinematic approach, after all Birthright is more enjoyable as an intrigue filled roleplaying game than a rules heavy wargame.
    After finally reaching 18th level, the Gorgon attacked our party. At a festival for a visiting noble, an NPC we thought had died suddenly changed into the Gorgon. He killed most of the group without hesitation and then teleported away.
    My PC, the regent of Diemed, along with the new PC&#39;s went around to other kingdoms trying to gather armies for an assault on Kal-Sitharak. The Gorgon&#39;s armies met ours in northern Mhoried.

*our group had played through the sword of Roele adventure and along with the mended artifact we found the standard of Roele in a dungeon in the 5 peaks. when the Gorgon saw my items, he challenged me to single combat, I accepted and the DM laughed as he began destroying my PC. I got a lucky hit against the Gorgon, but the awnshiegh, angered, tried his gaze attack on me. and failed. On his next attack the Gorgon brought me to 8 hp. My PC failed a reflex save and fell to the ground. Suddenly an explosion occured and the DM said that the long lost bloodline of Roele filled my PC and gave me the effects of Divine Wrath. I got 40 temporary HP and then the Gorgon smacked me and brought me to 2 HP. Then he tried his gaze attack on me again.
    At that moment the High mage Aelies (played by a PC) gast mirror reflection on my helm. The spell turned on the awnshiegh and turned him to stone. I then used the sword of Roele on him and cut off his head.

Granted, this might not have worked had we played close attention to the rules, but it made for a challenging and satisfying encounter with the creature and it was an excellent end to our 6 year bright campaign.
    So I recomend killing the Gorgon after a well crafted storyline that relies more on player inteligence and strategy than on powers and rules.
    History does not remember soldiers, it remembers Kings.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well i guess I will have to admit that the Gorgon is beatible being that It is possible still not very likly but possible. But leting my mind wonder to the Gorgon again and seeing how there are not very many high level PC&#39;s or NPC&#39;s at the point in wich you start play leads me to these&#39;s thoughts. Either PC&#39;s and NPC&#39;s hardly ever reach high levels because of the militaristic side of Birthright that so many problems get solved with armys rather than adventures, not saying that there is not a whole slew of adventuring to do but some of the best hero canidets get sucked up into the services of regents and don&#39;t reach there full potental. or before they become to much of a threat to the Gorgon he kills them.
    Now from what I know of the History of Birthright I haven&#39;t herd all that much of the Gorgon personaly killing hero&#39;s but I&#39;m sure he does kill his share. So if that is true I would belive that first the Gorgon would try to tempt the PC to try and be stupid enough to come into his domain, but deciet trickery or out right chalenging his manhood and once the pc is there he kills him. But this won&#39;t work on all our Birthright hero&#39;s so that would leave me to belive that he would have them killed by other means than his own hand. Now he wouldn&#39;t want them to be killed in a way that would denie him self there blood so I would belive he would send one of his many luetents/assiasins to do the Job and latter when his lacky&#39;s begine ploting aginst him or need to be replaced he&#39;ll get his blood.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In a message dated 4/9/05 4:20:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time,

<< Granted, this might not have worked had we played close attention to the

rules, but it made for a challenging and satisfying encounter with the creature

and it was an excellent end to our 6 year bright campaign.

So I recomend killing the Gorgon after a well crafted storyline that

relies more on player inteligence and strategy than on powers and rules. >>

I concur-- I had dreams of ending my Giantdowns campaign with the death

in battle of Ghuralli, and did so. Super villains just about demand a

climactic final drama of some kind. I`m aiming my current party of sidhelien at the

Lamia.

Lee.

Thread Information