Downloads
    Uploads
    In the BRCS the ships have two different speeds listed. One is for long-distance movement, while the other was for tactical movement. Just wondering if anyone has dual-movement rates for a Birthright campaign with land units.

There was a wonderful article in the Dragon about 10 years ago about this same subject. It also listed the topic for foraging and supply caravans. I have since had a problem with cavalry being faster than infantry on long marches.

In a tactical environmnet, the horse would outrun infantry. But once you start getting over 3 or 4 days, a long distance runner can outpace the horse. DnD explains that rule by damage from force-marching. Humans force-marching only go with subdual damage, but horses take lethal damage.

I only used it as DMing small armies. Has anyone experimented with dual movment in a home campaign?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by destowe@Mar 29 2005, 04:52 PM
    There was a wonderful article in the Dragon about 10 years ago about this same subject. It also listed the topic for foraging and supply caravans. I have since had a problem with cavalry being faster than infantry on long marches.
    This I don't buy.

The term "cavalry" is not precise enough. Are we talking about late-medieval knights with their attendant bagage, or Mongolian horse-archers, or something in between? The former may be a bit on the slow side using strategic movement, but most types of light cavalry will easily outride and kind of infantry on the strategic scale.

B
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    As far as I understand it, it is a question of supplies. IF the cavalry can find a way to stay supplied, they can move much faster than infantry. If the cavalry is foraging everyday, then they will be grossly slowed down. If on the other had, the cavalry carries 5 days of food for the rider, is in lush grassland to feed the horse, and can stop ever 5 days, plunder a village to resupply and then move on, they will move much faster than infantry.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Thread Information