View Poll Results: What types of magic should be used in Birthright?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. 3 tiered system -standard (PHB)/battle level/realm level. (Battle magic is different – either separate spells or metamagic std ones {TBD}. Realm and unmodified std spells have no effect on Battlefield)

8 47.06%
  • 2. 3 tiered system -standard (PHB)/battle level/realm level. (Similar to the 2nd ed system with std, realm and special battle spells affecting battle)

9 52.94%
  • 3. Abstain

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Downloads
    Uploads
    800 ft is a long range. However ranged weapons, such as the Anuirean
    Longbow can shoot up to 10 range increments. 100 ft. * 10 = 1000 ft. The
    archer would of course take the penalty for the additional range
    increments of 8 * -2 = -16 to attack. But when most average NPC archers
    on the field can hit PC´s only with a natural 20 anyway that makes no
    difference.
    ah yes one of the 1001 things wrong with d20.

I would recomend using the varient on page 25 of the dmg for automatic hits and misses in most casses.

but still with a defensive spell the wiz is effectivly immune.

and archers are not going to be in the front lines.

but I don't think it's any more ridiculous than an 800' range for a fireball (or the ranges of long-range spells in general).

Spells are magic MAGIC
    MORNINGSTAR

Downloads
    Uploads
    Normally it would be time to close this poll. But since this was a run off poll and it is currently essentially tied I'll leave it open for another week in hopes of gaining some separation here. Please chime in for discussion so others can make and will make a vote, or change yours if you see fit.

Here are the current results:

What types of magic should be used in Birthright?
    1. 3 tiered system -standard (PHB)/battle level/realm level. (Battle magic is different – either separate spells or metamagic std ones {TBD}. Realm and unmodified std spells have no effect on Battlefield) [ 6 ] [46.15%]
    2. 3 tiered system -standard (PHB)/battle level/realm level. (Similar to the 2nd ed system with std, realm and special battle spells affecting battle) [ 7 ] [53.85%]
    3. Abstain [ 0 ] [0.00%]
    Total Votes: 13

IMO using a variant is kind of counter productive. What I mean is that in order to do a decent write up of all the standard PHB spells would take between 15 and 20 pages (without any artwork). That is quite a lot of material that may be or may not be used. A modified only approach would add maybe 2 to 4 pages (similar to what is already in the BRCS-playtest with some other text, increased casting time, more spell components, assistants, etc.)

Regardless currently a good hunk of people would be dissatisfied with the one or the other.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Regardless currently a good hunk of people would be dissatisfied with the one or the other.
    Consensus would be nice, but I can vouch for the stubborness of many of us in our various opinions. <_< Sometimes the dissatisfied will remain so (I know I have at points), but the project should keep moving forward - even if it steamrolls a few dissenters... :P

I&#39;ll settle for majority on this one - better that than a divided issue crippling our already-slow pace.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I&#39;m going to close thispoll.

Here are the results:

What types of magic should be used in Birthright?
    1. 3 tiered system -standard (PHB)/battle level/realm level. (Battle magic is different – either separate spells or metamagic std ones {TBD}. Realm and unmodified std spells have no effect on Battlefield) [ 8 ] [47.06%]
    2. 3 tiered system -standard (PHB)/battle level/realm level. (Similar to the 2nd ed system with std, realm and special battle spells affecting battle) [ 9 ] [52.94%]
    3. Abstain [ 0 ] [0.00%]
    Total Votes: 17

Basically it is a deadlock - a single vote difference is essentially no difference, IMO.

We&#39;ll revist this one after round duration poll is completed.

I&#39;m going to be OOC for about a week. They are forcing me to take a business trip to Sand Diego next week. Can&#39;t really qualify as a boondoggle since the Padres are not in town so no baseball game to see.

About a month ago they forced me to take a training trip to Myrtle Beach too.

When I get back I think it will be time to close the battle round duration poll. At that time I&#39;ll put up a summary of these recent polls so everyone can see how they potentially mesh together. It is also my opinion that at that time determining how magic on the battle field works will become a more apparent system in order to fit into some game mechanics that can be used. I still feel that using standard magic with no modifications just doesn&#39;t fit into a system that has a round of greater than 6 seconds (or at least much greater, as in 1 min or more) since the 2 mechanics just don&#39;t fit together.
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information