Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teleport in BR

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't use a special mechanic, but if a player does something as stupid as teleporting to avoid the dungeon or teleporting and assassinating and if he does not realise how stupid that is, I have other people, more poweful people, follow his example. Rhuobhe, Chimaera, Gorgon for starters. The PC gets killed and everyone learns from the experience.

If I realise that the player is considering such an action I give them a warning. They stumble upon some story of a teleporting assassin and how everyone was pissed off at them and how the entire Council or Gorgy teleported in and killed the assassin with ease.

I prefer intimidation and punishment to extra rules

Downloads
    Uploads
    if a player does something as stupid as teleporting to avoid the dungeon or teleporting and assassinating and if he does not realise how stupid that is, I have other people, more poweful people, follow his example. Rhuobhe, Chimaera, Gorgon for starters. The PC gets killed and everyone learns from the experience.
    What exactly is stupid about using the spells at your disposal to avoid uneccessary danger and accomplish your mission as efficiently as possible? Your better off just removing the spell from the game, because that would at least make sense.

And my lonesome evil Clr7 will destroy without leaving home all Seaharrow and kill archduke Aeric Boeruine.
    Maximum 6000gp. Lesser Planar Ally. Succubus.
    She teleports into Boeruine castle, casts Suggestions at hundred guards... if some of them succeded at Will save, she teleports to another chamber and repeats Suggestion.
    Then my army will kill archduke and destroy his city.

best regards, Clr7, new tyrant of Boeruine
    A non-teleporting summoned fiend can do that almost as easily, leaving out the part where you negotiate with it and pray it doesn't make its SR check and eat you, so what are you arguing here? And anyways, fiends are notorious for getting what THEY want out of a deal and leaving you high and dry. That centuries+ of experience edge they have in such matters tends to beat pompous clerics.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thomas_Percy schrieb:

>This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.

> You can view the entire thread at:

> http://www.birthright.net/forums/ind...=ST&f=2&t=3026

>

> Thomas_Percy wrote:

> And my lonesome evil Clr7 will destroy without leaving homeall Seaharrow and kill archduke Aeric Boeruine.

>Maximum 6000gp. Lesser Planar Ally. Succubus.

>She teleports into Boeruine castle, casts Suggestions at hundred guards... if some of them succeded at Will save, she teleports to another chamber and repeats Suggestion.

>Then my army will kill archduke and destroy his city.

>best regards, Clr7

>

It is the deitys choice which lesser Planar Ally you receive as I

understand, so it is not given that it will be a Succubus.

The cost would not only be in gp, but also 100XP.

You can´t be a cleric with the Good domain, doing that as calling an

evil creature means you´re casting an evil spell.

Few gods would aid an attempt at assasination - Haelyn or Cuiraceen

would certainly not support assasination attempts of legal rulers.

As assaulting a castle with perhaps hundreds of soldiers, servants and

guards, and assasinating one of the major leaders of Anuire is a

difficult task IMO I would say that it would not count as

"nonhazardous" and require a greater gift than normal.

bye

Michael

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's stupid to avoid a dungeon by teleporting because then you are not really playing and if the Dm was counting on spending a couple of real-time hours in the dungeon, you just ruined the day

teleportation can have its uses, but not to avoid a dungeon or to assassinate people...

you can use the spell once you get out of the dungeon to return to the city and report to chambie or something like that

it's just my opinion nobody needs to agree with me

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by A_dark@Mar 12 2005, 06:13 PM
    It's stupid to avoid a dungeon by teleporting because then you are not really playing and if the Dm was counting on spending a couple of real-time hours in the dungeon, you just ruined the day

teleportation can have its uses, but not to avoid a dungeon or to assassinate people...

you can use the spell once you get out of the dungeon to return to the city and report to chambie or something like that

it's just my opinion nobody needs to agree with me
    To avoid a dungeon or not to avoid a dungeon is simply a matter of taste and
    the campaign - teleporting is a mighty tool for a wizard and who would expect a
    wizard to not use his tools in the best way?

If a dungeon is between the party and the target of the quest, then the party
    can either fight through the dungeon to get to the target (and collect the loot and XP on the way), or they can teleport directly to the target.

Both ways are valid, I would for example prefer the latter way if some imposter
    sits on the throne and the guards are deluded in thinking they defend the true king.
    Fighting through the loyal royal guards because teleporting is stupid?

For making Teleport less useful in avoiding situations the DM wishes the PC´s to go through I would like to mention the way the game Daggerfall from Bethesda uses Teleport: You cast the Spell once to set an anchor at a location you already visited and with another casting of the spell you can return later to that location.

That is much more restrictive than simply knowing the location from divination as required by Teleport in D&D.
    Michael Romes

Downloads
    Uploads
    To limit a Teleport = to limit all creatures with Teleport as a typical ability, demons for example.
    To limit a Teleport = to limit all this scheming NPC mages, viziers, demons... typical villains.

Downloads
    Uploads
    To limit a Teleport = to limit all creatures with Teleport as a typical ability, demons for example.
    To limit a Teleport = to limit all this scheming NPC mages, viziers, demons... typical villains.
    That's exactly the point. As a DM, it gets hard for me to justify to myself "why wouldn't the villain, an acomplished mage or an ally of one, use teleport to 'port in and off a rival?"

With low-risk teleport, I often end up without any good reason at all.

Take the Gorgon, for example. Why would he risk facing a united band of heroes gathered to attack him with all their allies, cohorts, and followers on the open field, when he could (as any master strategist would desire) easily use teleportation to control the time and place of battle himself. Control the time, place, and go in fully prepared while his enemy is weak...this is called sound strategy using the tools at your disposal.

If the Gorgon was some goody-goody LG ershegh who only fights honorably, OK there's a good reason. But this is the Gorgon! One of the baddest, meanest, most ruthless masters of war and combat that Aebrynis has ever seen. As soon as it's a good time to harvest a bloodline, why wait?

Prepared with spells and items, the Gorgon has little to fear from a whole castle full of low-level guards. One-on-one he will crush anyone alive in very short order.

Less obvious, but imagine a group of enemies: say Guilder Kalien, Caine, and a few of Kalien's cohorts (who will be up to 2 levels below Kalien), ranging from 7th-12th level, decide to rid themselves of a common enemy. A nasty little group, who could very easily teleport into the depths of an enemy castle, dispath the few guards in the way, and take out the enemy regent before he knows what's going on. A little stealth, poison, sneak attacking, magic...game over, man.

What witnesses?

Very VERY powerful - my enemies don't need this to be a reliable ability to be challenging, even to epic-level PC's.

Frequent use of teleport also tends to shortcut a story, which is annoying.

If teleporting is dangerous, it's far more interesting: you won't use it unless the potential gains are worth the risk. Dilemmas are the meat of good roleplaying.

Osprey

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Osprey. You said much more clearly and concisely what I tried to explain...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm all in favor of limiting teleport and the like but the point I was making is very few people are high enough level to cast the teleport prevention spells. Increasing the number of mid to high level clerics and whatnot to counter the wizards makes the problem worse, not better, as the overall amount of magic floating around increases. So now you have a whole lot more people capable of casting things like Planar Ally and other high level summon spells, and spells like gaes/quest which can cause quite a bit of havoc. Not to mention the increase to the number of people capable of raising the dead, formerly a true rarity in Anuire since only 9th+ level priests of Kreisha, Nesirie, Sera and Ruornil could even cast it (in 2nd)

EDIT:
    say Guilder Kalien, Caine, and a few of Kalien's cohorts (who will be up to 2 levels below Kalien), ranging from 7th-12th level
    When did Kalien gain 8 levels?

Downloads
    Uploads
    When did Kalien gain 8 levels?
    I was positing a more advanced game, where the PC's have reached similar levels. If the PC's are low-level (1st-3rd), they're probably not worth the notice of any teleport-capable mages (or fiends, etc.) in Cerilia.

I know Kalien isn't 10th-12th level in 551 MR (according to the Atlas). But if your PC's start in that time, then Kalien will probably advance at a similar pace to them. He's one of the most ambitious and dynamic NPC's in the game (evidence: he's one of the all-time favorite characters for PC conversion and NPC villain status in Birthright - ask around if you don't believe me).

Also, I've always thought Kalien's level in the Atlas far too low given his extensive and accomplished record of plotting, diplomacy, and espionage. It's like the designers were saying, "Well, he hasn't really gotten out and killed many monsters, so where would he get the XP?" Silly.

Thread Information