View Poll Results: How long should a battle round last? (i.e., a round on the battlefield)

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. There is no such thing. All combat is resolved in 6 second rounds (same as a standard combat round)

1 5.88%
  • 2. 10 minutes

7 41.18%
  • 3. 15 minutes

3 17.65%
  • 4. 30 minutes

2 11.76%
  • 5. Other - please specify

4 23.53%
  • 6. Abstain

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Battle rounds

Downloads
    Uploads
    I mentioned Breastplate because the 2E Rulebook mentioned that Anuirean
    Infantery and Pikemen are often equipped with a breastplate that is worn
    over a long leather coat.
    That's some expensive gear for a regular infatryman. Honestly, it's more the level of equipment (using the D&D equipment costs and stats) I'd expect for veteran medium infantry than for regulars.

In the lightly armoured units you mentioned, I would expect commoners in
    levy and experts in scouts instead or at least in higher numbers than
    warriors.
    Levies aren't soldiers, they're farmers and townsmen, so of course they're probably Commoners. Scouts might be Experts rather than Warriors, though veteran Scouts might be Rangers instead (depending how restrictive you are with PC vs. NPC classes - me, I don't make PC classes so incredibly rare as the DMG does). Same way I'd expect more elite infantry or knights to be Fighters rather than Warriros. But that's my personal preference, not something I'm advancing for the BRCS.

Light regulars (infantry, archers, pikemen, cavalry) probably are Warriors for the most part, though. Scouts and levies are more the exception than the rule as far as "typical" soldiers go.

>As an aside, chain mail and scale mail are probably far more common than breastplates for medium troops, because they`re far cheaper while granting the same (or close to the same for scale) AC bonus. Only high Dex (16+) individuals benefit from the increased mobility of a breastplate, which won`t include most low-level warriors.
    >
    But Chainmail is even heavier than Breastplate (40 instead of 30 lbs.)
    which brings the soldiers towards carrying a medium load and reduces
    their speed.
    Yeah - medium load for medium troops is perfectly appropriate. My movement example was for light troops, using them to demonstrate the upward limit of foot troops. Medium troops have medium armor/encumbrance, so of course they have a lower base speed (20' rather than 30&#39. That still leaves them able to march quite a distance in 10 minutes (2000', or 20 x 100' battle squares per 10 min. turn).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Time to close this poll. Here are the results.

How long should a battle round last? (i.e., a round on the battlefield)
    1. There is no such thing. All combat is resolved in 6 second rounds (same as a standard combat round) [ 1 ] [5.88%]
    2. 10 minutes [ 7 ] [41.18%]
    3. 15 minutes [ 3 ] [17.65%]
    4. 30 minutes [ 2 ] [11.76%]
    5. Other - please specify [ 4 ] [23.53%]
    6. Abstain [ 0 ] [0.00%]

While 10 minutes seems to be the majority opinion - there are is sufficient disension (and a large Other group) to spurfurther discussion before a subsequent vote.
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information