View Poll Results: how should the regents skills provinde a bonus to domain actions?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Based upon total skill modifier

9 69.23%
  • Based upon total ranks

2 15.38%
  • No bonus from skills

1 7.69%
  • Other (please specify)

1 7.69%
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Their has been a discussion about this in the Chapter 5 posts on page 3&4. When I say 'based upon', this need not be the actual skill modifiers or ranks. The most common suggestion has been dividing either by 5, to achieve the actual domain action bonus.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Deja vue...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by CMonkey@Aug 25 2004, 09:58 AM
    Deja vue...
    eh?
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is hard to vote in this poll since I don’t think it is asking the question well enough. If the domain action check is a skill check I’d say add all modifiers. If this is talking about a bonus to a different check then I’d say use the skill synergy system (i.e., only based on ranks).

I’ve been doing some lurking recently and noticed some things going on and I want to share some of my experience with. Based on the processes I’ve gone through so far with the BRCS and getting revisions done there are some things that people should keep in mind. Basically I want everyone to avoid the pitfalls that have happened in the past and help get the system streamlined.

First start with broader issues and then narrow things down. This will keep people from getting caught in the weeds when they are trying to scope out the forest.

Have polls as you go to narrow things down. Try to ask questions that relate to a specific topic/point. Leave the poll open for at least 2 weeks but not more than a month. Too short a period of time doesn’t give enough people a chance to look things over while too long a period leads to stagnation.

On the current Chap 5 issues here is what I see.

The first thing to decide is what the different types of domain level actions are and what they entail/encompass. For example the types of actions could include court, standard, character, free, etc. This initial discussion should be on the broad level and not deal with specific actions themselves but only the type of actions that fall into each category. There have been posts recently on this subject expressing concern with what the actions entail.

Next decide how each category of action is to be resolved. Automatic, skill check, some other type of check.

Then start to work on the details of the mechanics. This is where the current poll falls in.

Finally start going through the specific actions themselves. Work on the descriptions, specifics of an action, etc.

This is a process that if followed on this chapter can be extrapolated on the others. Start broad then narrow things down it will work out best that way.

Several people who are still active can post files for download in the post. Osprey and Geeman are two that I know of. If necessary you can e-mail me and I’ll make a post for you (but try to work with those who are actively working on things first).
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by irdeggman@Aug 27 2004, 06:51 PM
    It is hard to vote in this poll since I don’t think it is asking the question well enough. If the domain action check is a skill check I’d say add all modifiers. If this is talking about a bonus to a different check then I’d say use the skill synergy system (i.e., only based on ranks).
    If we were starting from scratch, I would agree with you. The thing is, all the games I have participated in thought that the BRCS rule is that if a standard and character action are combined then a +1 bonus is added per 5 ranks in the base skill. You did not intend that, but that is how most people seem to have interperted it. Therefore the ranks is the status quo, skill modifier or no bonus were the two alternate systems proposed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for your advice Duane, I will take note.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm closing this poll. Here are the results:

how should the regents skills provinde a bonus to domain actions?
    Based upon total skill modifier [ 9 ] [69.23%]
    Based upon total ranks [ 2 ] [15.38%]
    No bonus from skills [ 1 ] [7.69%]
    Other (please specify) [ 1 ] [7.69%]
    Total Votes: 13
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information