Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't really like the idea of that domain mastery. You can get much too high Rule Province score. +4 regent focus, +2 master administrator, +3 domain mastery, +3 adminstrate. That's a +12 to rule province action. Landed rulers that aren't wizards can push it 'only' to +9. Maybe instead of the domain mastery, give one of the feats that fit, such as you having a choice between a Regent Focus, Master Adminstrator, Master Spy, Wilderness Savant, etc?

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm, looking through the Khinsasi book then, you'd have the following regents as potential magelords if you fixed their classes and skills to suit.
    - Beysim ibn Faroud el-Duatim (Sendoure)
    - Yousef ibn Reghil el-Mesir (Mesire)
    - Beshid el-Djafara (Djafra)
    - Kalilah bind Farid el-Mashil (Khourane)
    - el-Sirad (Mour el-Sirad)
    I'm not including awnshegh or elves on the list as I don't think either fit as magelords.
    El-Sirad and the Magian aren't really suitable as Magelords because they have only recently claimed their domains (Within the last 10 years). Although both could have gained levels since, I believe they haven't and were already their currently levels or close to it when deciding to settle down and conquer a realm.

From the rest of Anuire, there are a couple of possible magelords in Brechtur and Vosgaard, but I don't believe there are any in Rjurik of Anuire unless I'm forgetting someone important. That is assuming you agree with my assessment regarding elves (I would make this prestige class human only) not taking this class. Otherwise you could add almost every elven nation to the list.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only mage-regent that I can think of in Brechtur is Colin Shaefpete from the Zweilund Islands, IIRC...
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion -- and usually easier."

- R. A. Heinlien, from The Collected works of Lazarus Long

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, Erik Danig is also a wizard as well as the regento Rzhlev being a dual-classed wizard IIRC.

Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Danigau would be sort of appropriate. At one point, I was toying with the idea of crafting a prestige class specific to the hereditary position of the Danigs, but found the concept a tad on the narrow side. It is the sort of thing that is most appropriate to the original vision of what a prestige class should be, though.
    Jan E. Juvstad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    All in all, I don't believe any Birthright prestige class will count many members in low-population, low-level Cerilia. Any regent-based prestige class even fewer, and the magelord is of course meant to empower a very rare breed even among regents: a landed source regent.

Raesene, I'm not quite certain why you think this class is inappropriate for the elves. I was never under the impression that they were opposed to the growth of elven civilization, which is in harmony with the mebhaighal even at high levels - just opposed to non-elven expansion and the erosion of mebhaighal wherever they settle and expand.

One of the main reasons I didn't want to limit this PrC to the Khinasi is that I think it should be possible for anyone with the right talents and skills to achieve such a class. I would have no problem, for instance, with an ambitious (PC) heir to Ilien or Taeghas eventually developing such a class. While it may not suit existing Anuirean regents, it may suit a new PC or NPC very well indeed.

One of the main ideas behind the regency and skill requirements for the class is that the PrC is meant to be one that is developed through hard experience more than anything else: through the rather unusual experience of effectively ruling land and source together. This is mainly a self-taught sort of PrC concept, one that represents the regent's commitment to a very specialized path. With time, practice, and publicity, the regent becomes particularly skilled in his specialty. None of this requires any particular traditions being handed down, secret lore being learned, or membership in some arcane order. Just hard work, dedication, and the right tools for the job (class requirements). Being this sort of self-taught class also explains why the requirements are as tough as they are - this isn't the sort of PrC one will see in many (any?) 6th level characters. Most would tend to be 8th -10th before becoming a magelord. That's some significant life experience and achievement, the kind that merits a prestige class of its own.

Some prestige classes represent gaining access or instruction in special secrets of lore, skill, or power passed down through generations - these are the PrC's most appropriate to a specific culture or region. Others represent the special favor of one's deity - perfect for a clerical PrC. Still others are organizational, representing membership in a cult, brotherhood, etc. All of these are flavorful, but also very limiting, requirements, and ALL of them assume that the special abilities and characteristics of the PrC are mainly bestowed or taught by some higher power or elder authority. Nothing wrong with that, and it does lend itself to creating a lot of campaign-specific color - but most PC's will in turn only ever have access to a few if any of them, which is a shame. Prestige classes are one of the most interesting aspects of 3e for higher-level characters, so keeping a decent number of accessible PrC's is pretty important for player enjoyment of the game.

Side note: I imagine a clerical parallel of the magelord (the Theocrat?) could also be devised, replacing sources with temples, arcane casting with divine, and K/Arcana and K/Nature with K/Religion and K/History. However given the diversity of deities in BR, it might end up that only Haelynites would be suitable candidates for such a class, and maybe Avani's clerics. Anyways, it's rather boring to make carbon copy divine versions of arcane classes, so I'm not seriously suggesting it as an Atlas inclusion too - just thinking it could make for an easy-to-tweak template for similar dual-role regents (particularly spellcasting ones, who get screwed the most by multiclassing).

Thread Information