Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is an idea I've toyed with in various forms for some time now, but recently I sat down and hashed out a more definitive and (I think) balanced prestige class. The writeup is posted for download below.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Much Better Version than the one we used for my old character. Very streamlined.
    I like it
    The Former Osric Ilien
    -Blooood!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice and simple, the way more classes should be.

Tough requirements, but good skill selection. I don't see any problems with it immediately.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice concept for a Prestige, though I don't see the necessity of Warcraft to be a Class skill.

An additional ability to better resist the influence of other arcane regents in their chosen domains would fit OK too.
    Professionals are predictable, it's the amateurs that are dangerous.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I find the minimum 5 ranks of administrate sort of counter-productive when most wizards will want to keep their province levels on the lower end of the scale. For some reason, I find the arcane sanctum feat to fit very much with this PrC.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by The incredible, edible Phil@Feb 8 2005, 11:36 PM
    I find the minimum 5 ranks of administrate sort of counter-productive when most wizards will want to keep their province levels on the lower end of the scale. For some reason, I find the arcane sanctum feat to fit very much with this PrC.
    I disagree. I would want to max out a few of my provinces, while leaving the others uninhabited.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I disagree. I would want to max out a few of my provinces, while leaving the others uninhabited.
    Exactly. I tried to hint at this strategy in the class description for humans. Elves, of course, don't need to worry too much about raising their province levels in the first place, so they would also benefit from being competetnt administrators. Without Administrate, a regent will be a poor landed regent, and this PrC was meant to represent the benefits of being an experienced landed and source regent, not one who takes a prestige class to do what he never could before. It builds on its basic components and makes them a specialty: these being the rulership of land and law, and the continuing pursuit of true magic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So what does Raesene think (considering I just posted this class on my own here)? Is this an appropriate PrC for the Atlas?

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure it would fit in the Atlas simply because it is only going to apply to a couple of regents across all of Cerilia. However, it is the first prestige class to make it into my maybe folder (which means that it will be voted on for addition to the Atlas).

One question I do have, however, is regarding the Domain Mastery. Does that effect ALL landed domain actions, including rule holding, trade routes, etc, or is it only action that relate to provinces (rule province, agitate, etc). It may be good to specify exactly which actions can be influenced, and I don't think it should be all of them. Going through the list of standard actions I would apply the bonus to Agitate, Create Holding (source only), Create Ley Line, Diplomacy, Rule Holding (source only), and Rule Province.

A MageLord shouldn't have any bonuses to action relating to guild or temple holdings, and perhaps not even law either, although you could make a case for including law holdings as they are generally held by the province ruler.

As for the class itself, it is a very good wizard ruling class that is well balanced as far as I can tell. I do like the suggestion of Arcane Sanctum as a required feat, but the requirements are already fairly tough.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure it would fit in the Atlas simply because it is only going to apply to a couple of regents across all of Cerilia. However, it is the first prestige class to make it into my maybe folder (which means that it will be voted on for addition to the Atlas).
    Yeah. However, consider that most regent-based prestige classes will be fairly rare by simple fact of their level requirements and the overall rarity of regents relative to the total Cerilian population. As I mentioned in the description, this class is most suitable for Khinasi and Sidhelien regents, so it may not be all that applicable in Anuire (though I think the Prince of Tuarheviel and/or Queen of the Sielwode being a Magelord would be pretty apt).
    The other day I looked over the maps of Khinasi, and realized that a solid majority of Khinasi realms would make excellent fiefs for landed source regents (and I suspect many already are). Hence I think the occurence of this class would rise dramatically there...at least among those who make it to 7th level or higher. But this is true of all the PrC's - none of them will be common in a low average level campaign setting.
    What I think this class does represent is a unique kind of regent niche that would be unfeasible to pursue as a pure multiclass character. And being a regent PrC, of course, it is also uniquely designed for Birthright.

One question I do have, however, is regarding the Domain Mastery. Does that effect ALL landed domain actions, including rule holding, trade routes, etc, or is it only action that relate to provinces (rule province, agitate, etc). It may be good to specify exactly which actions can be influenced, and I don't think it should be all of them. Going through the list of standard actions I would apply the bonus to Agitate, Create Holding (source only), Create Ley Line, Diplomacy, Rule Holding (source only), and Rule Province.

A MageLord shouldn't have any bonuses to action relating to guild or temple holdings, and perhaps not even law either, although you could make a case for including law holdings as they are generally held by the province ruler.
    I meant landed regent actions to apply to province-based actions only. Source actions deal specifically with sources. This is actually a more limited pool than you described, and includes the following:
    Create Province
    Rule Province
    Contest Province (maybe - depends on the mechanics decided for this in the BRCS - if it's a pure military/occupation action, then I wouldn't include it).
    Create Source
    Rule Source
    Contest Source

Being a dual, domain-level bonus I thought was pretty powerful already, which is why I staged it as only a +1 advance at 4th level, and +1 every 3 levels thereafter.
    This is also why I didn't include "every domain action a landed or source regent might perform." If there's any other action I'd be tempted to affect, it would be the group of Cermony actions (Investiture, Designation, Vassalage, Divestiture). Also I agree, Create Ley Line seems reasonable to add to the source-based domain action list. I've already edited my version of teh file to specify which domain actions are affected, and will repost the revised document once I'm sure the class is in its final form.

I felt like giving the class Lead, Warcraft, and Diplomacy as class skills was sufficient in allowing them to be competent Law regents if they so chose (which most would, I'm fairly certain) - being specialty Law regents seemed a bit of a stretch to me. Same goes for Agitate and Diplomacy. Also, their Reputation class feature will give them a slight edge in these actions (+2 to the relevant skill), but not an outright domain bonus.

Warcraft, to answer an earlier question, was added as a class skill for 3 main reasons:
    1. It is the key skill for Battle Magic in the BRCS. I was assuming it will remain crucial to that function, and I expect the role of Battle Mage to be a vital one for most magelords (see below).

2. Landed regents are almost always charged with protecting their realm from military threat - this is one reason they tend to control law holdings (the land is the real financial base, the law is needed to train the troops). So a landed regent without Warcraft has a serious weakness in that he will never be the real rally point for his realm in times of war. However, a Magelord could combine his knowledge of warcraft with his arcane spells and fill a unique role as a charismatic and/or tactically-gifted army commander and battle mage. This is the sort of figure the realm would almost definitely rally around in wartime - and that's a big part of what makes for a strong landed regent, something the Magelord is meant to excel at.

3. Since most magelords will probably be wizards, they'll tend to be extremely intelligent characters - brilliant, even. I really like the idea of a wizard who has deveoted his studies to warfare and magic in warfare, and thought a magelord makes a good candidate for such a character. Being so smart, they could well become exceptional generals and cunning adversaries. I had not only PC's and neutral/friendly NPC's in mind for this class, but also thought it would make for an excellent villain regent class as well. Imagine the Magian being a high-level Magelord...what an even more rotten next-door neighbor he might be for those poor eastern realms of Khinasi.

Thread Information