View Poll Results: Should irdeggman step down as chief editor of the BRCS?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. Yes

4 12.90%
  • 2. No

23 74.19%
  • 3. Abstain

4 12.90%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Based on recent discussions it seems like this is a good question to ask. There seems to be an increasing number of posts that express questions (or at least infer them) on this subject. It was also something that was never decided publically and probably should be.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    This project will probably wither on the vince without Duane. I may not agree with all his rulings, but I have no doubt we are far better off as whole thanks to him.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know its taking its tol, and the credits aren't always as nice as you like them to be.
    But i can understand you poll... unfortunately if you step down the project will be on its way down leading to an inevitable death.

So far many have come and go from the group, i surely dont know anyone who can be as dedicated as you have been for the last couple of years.

i honor your decission.

Arjan
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just to make some clarifications. I am not leaving the project, unless specifically asked to.

What this is really about is that several people have voiced an opinion/comment in the past that we (publically) have never chosen a "leader" if you will. I prefere editor in chief, it removes the ownership and ego related issues of writing IMO. While this worked fine when it was jsut the develoment team (and we chooose Doom by the way - miss you Travis ) This project has moved a long way since then and it seems to me that it is time to make a formal choice.

Now this is everyone's chance to make a vote (at least on me).

We (before my time) chose moderators so I see this as no less important.

Regardless of the outcome I will still participate and write and support the project to the best of my abilities unless the editor in chief asks me not to.

These are what I see as the role of editor in chief (comments welcome on this by the way):

1. To coordinate the project and participating writers to ensure continuity.

2. To answers questions on clarification or point the questioner in the direction where he/she can find an answer.

3. To ensure the project meets and keeps to the project guidelines and philosophy as stated in the FAQ section. {This is important for consistency, IMO}

4. To review the work of particpating writers to check for editorials, consistencies, and obvious weaknesses (i.e., editing).

5. To coordinate with the Atlas team (or ensure there is coordination) to ensure consistency.

6. To recruit and/or approve particpating writers. {This is to ensure they are not people who don't really want to particpate but just get their name on the project or get theirown house rules in an "official" status} (The design philosophy addresses the house-rules issue)

7. Pretty much pick up the slack (This is the hardest part -that part about missing you I meant it Travis )
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    So you're the "Editor in Chief". What will your powers be, and how will the general community be able to check and balance such powers. You claim that sanctions will require a vote, but what about wars. Yes, yes I know a wars requires our approval, but what about "police actions". How many of those will we have during your term!!!
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the BRCS process is entirely too democratic...if Duane has the will and dedication needed to drive the project home, he should pronounce himself Editor in Chief and get back to work.

All this polling and the need to get approval for every single detail isn't exactly making the BRCS any better. Duane and the rest of the team should certainly shop around for ideas and feedback, but as the people in charge THEY should get to decide what the BRCS will look like.

Just my 50 øre

B
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by The Jew@Feb 8 2005, 08:31 PM
    So you're the "Editor in Chief". What will your powers be, and how will the general community be able to check and balance such powers. You claim that sanctions will require a vote, but what about wars. Yes, yes I know a wars requires our approval, but what about "police actions". How many of those will we have during your term!!!
    To paraphrase "W";

This is a clear mandate, I've earned some equity here and will cash it in to immediately pass legislation to work on the real problems of the world - make my tax cuts permanent, fix Social Security immediately, balance the budget (I won't count the cost of homeland security and troops preparing to invade the Imperial City in the budget proposal), spread democracy throughout the world and of course implement a constitutional amendment to recognize that a marraige is between a man and a woman of the same race (we don't go for that elf-human interaction thing, its just plain unnatural and against the Book of Laws).
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    i voted no,

because, for me, us project will be progress more rapidely ( with no yoyo's effect ) if there are a "manager"/chief editor

and because he is the more qualified for this
    ( he formalizes our opinions while respecting an unchanging global charter (just uses the basis core'rules of D&D, no house-rules that serves the minority, and well on, keep intact the spirit of cerilia and D&D ))

edit :
    i think i voted the opposed of my opinion....i think
    ( it's a mistake of course....I should sleep more )

Downloads
    Uploads
    Definitely not, Duane: you are one of the most important and working people around here; in fact, you do most of the work and drive this project on more than anyone else... I am sure the community is much better with you as a chief editor.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Green Knight@Feb 9 2005, 09:12 AM
    I think the BRCS process is entirely too democratic...if Duane has the will and dedication needed to drive the project home, he should pronounce himself Editor in Chief and get back to work.

All this polling and the need to get approval for every single detail isn't exactly making the BRCS any better. Duane and the rest of the team should certainly shop around for ideas and feedback, but as the people in charge THEY should get to decide what the BRCS will look like.

Just my 50 øre

B
    I must actually agree with that.

IMO, I think the wisest path would be to create a BRCS. Then release it. Get some feedback and suggestions about what's good, what's bad and what doesn't work in actual RP situations. After that the team makes adjustments out from the suggestions that they think are fitting and release next edition. And then more feedback and suggestions, more fixings, next release. And in the end, when there appears to be no more flaws, the time has come for the release of version 1.0, where it can't be called a playtest/beta-version anymore.

Thread Information