Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow... now *that* is an idea that could really make 'True' Magic alot more rare... and solve the potential problems I've seen in some PBeM games...

Nice idea!
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion -- and usually easier."

- R. A. Heinlien, from The Collected works of Lazarus Long

Downloads
    Uploads
    Raesene Andu schrieb:

>This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.

> You can view the entire thread at:

> http://www.birthright.net/forums/ind...ST&f=36&t=2990

>

> Raesene Andu wrote:

> The time factor is one of the major problems when you look at magic on the battlefield. Battles can take hours to resolve, so the battle round = 10 minutes of time is accurate. However, a flying wizard armed with a fully charged wand of fireballs can effectively fly over the entire enemy army and wipe most of them out in a couple of battle rounds.

>It is mainly the staffs/wands that are problems though. A wizard armed with just memorised spells can have little effect on the outcome of a battle, but a wizard armed with a wand that can cast large numbers of the same spell can cause devestation to the point where they individually win a battle. And with the craft wand feat any wizard of 6th level or above is going to have a wand of fireball. For a regent, the cost is negligible when compared to the effects on an army.

>

6th level? Isn´t the Craft Wand feat requiring only "Caster level 5th"

so that already 5th level Wizards could take it?

However even the number of 5th level Wizards is (as compared to

Forgotten Realms) really low. With only sidhelien and blooded being able

to become a Wizard at all there are not thousands available of 5+ level.

From that number not all will take that feat, from that that do not all

will know the spell.

The cost of gold may be negligible for a regent, but that reduces the

number of wizards again - and means that the wizard regent has one feat

less to take on regent feats he might need to compete against other

wizards. Even a Wizard regent would need to either use alchemy to burn

his RP and actions to gain GB or beg other regents for money. Other

Wizards may even if using Ply Trade have to use several of their actions

to gain enough money, as I would assume that most use the variant rule

that magic items have the 50% higher market price as compared to the 3.5

DMG.

And even Wizard regents will consider the cost in XP which also raises

as the market price raises.

bye

Michael

Downloads
    Uploads
    building on what Michael said, it would be highly unusual for an elf to make a wand of mass combat spells such as fireball and lightning bolt. They are so destructive to forests, even if the elf would be wise with its use, should he ever fall would the next user be as wise.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Its been awhile since i read chapter 6, but i thought battle magic worked like the article Arcane Lore: War Spells is Dragon Magazine issue 309, page 44. In that case the battle magic fireball would have a 60ft radius and be a 4th level spell with components costing 2800 gp and a casting time of one minute. Instead of needing to be familiar with the place to cast a war spell you could you a warcraft check dc like 15 + spell level to be able to cast. Tou could lower the casting cost a little bit, and up the casting time to ten minutes so you could cast 1 battle spell per battle turn, which is how it seemed to work in the novels.

Its been awhile since i read the novels, but i remember the mages blasting huge amounts of people to smithereens with battle spells and they had carts full of components with assistants.

If the two battle magic feats are in no way related, a 10th level wand of firebals cost 11 GB, and a staff of fire costs 9GB, which actually makes the staff a better deal since it can use your level if its higher. Anyway, when i had a wizard regent, i didn't have this kind a cash just lying around.

As a side note, i didn't really see the point of mass destruction. It takes a whole month to cast, what are the chances of the troops not running away before then?

Downloads
    Uploads
    About area of the spell and size of the unit: I have estimated all spells and units for AD&D, but this (not specially pleasant) work should be done for 3,5.

General observation: Everything what is possible to do in RPG should be possible in the battle.

Maybe Warhammer Fantasy Battle - the most popular fantasy tactical game - can be an inspiration?

Thread Information