Chris Linebarger (geocit

My spiel on DMing (kinda long)

I haven't posted to the list in a while.... so maybe this message will get
    through........

Anyways, I was reading through the mail from the list recently with a bit of interest on
    certain DMing styles and methods of play in a PBEM. So, I thought I would contribute to
    the discussion.

Using the model of Anuire: Anuire is a very small place, not even the size of one of
    the major Eurpoean countries such as France or Germany. In fact I worked out that
    Anuire is about as wide as as the state of Nevada (my home state.)
    Taking Germany as an example, for hudreds of years Germany was no more that a collection
    of duchies and principalities about the same size (if not smaller) than those in
    Anuire. While it might be unreasonable for a massive alliance to form spanning the
    entire continant, I do think that it is entirely possible for a large alliance, or
    several of them to form in Anuire. While I am no big history buff, I would wager that
    such alliances were common in old Germany. The BR book "War" by Simon Hawk demonstrates
    this well I believe. In the end both Avanil and Boeruine ended up allying for the
    purpose of siezing the Iron Throne.

I also believe war is a valid tool of regency. In fact, I think that war and diplomacy
    go hand in hand. All to often I see people who fail to recognize the value of
    diplomacy. In my mind diplomacy is a weapon and a means to an end. Used properly,
    along with war and other actions one could quickly become a very powerful player on the
    field.

To the question of vassalage; For a time I ran a PBEM (The Fate of Nations), and in
    that game vassalage was actually taking place. The only problem I had with it is that
    it was gravitating only to one power; Avanil. Diemed had declared it's vassalage to
    Avanil as a means to gaining support against Medoere. Later on, Roesone was considering
    vassalage to Avanil even though it was a member of an allaince of Southern Coast
    nations. (Roesone had many enemies and most of the members of the Southern Coast
    Alliance were unwilling to become involved in a war).

Marriage for alliance, while rare in a game also came up. There were two instances in
    the FoN where it was done, even though one of those fell through.

Which brings me to my main point. I believe both war and diplomacy are tools to be
    used, and I do not believe war nor large allainces give the game a negative impact.
    Take a look at real life international politics. When ever a nation commits an act of
    agression, every one else condemns them, and then they go off and start their own wars.
    So, when I DM a BR game, I do have a set goal in mind, but I also allow the PCs a lot of
    breadth to manuver. And if one of them takes actions that disrupts the general idea I
    have.... oh well.... it can be redesigned. So in my mind it does not do any good for a
    DM to be overly taken with one of his own plots. He must adapt and change. Perhaps
    guiding the players here and there... but ever so subtly.

Using the FoN example again, since that is what I have experience with, I did not have a
    huge story arc planned, but merely a list of events that I would like to see happen.
    And a list of goals for the various NPCs. In one way or another most of the events that
    I would liked to have happen- did.

And now to repond to something Solmyr said on the list a few days ago:

Yes. However, as said, such diplomacy in BR PBEMs too often takes the
    form of huge, NATO-like alliances that are not medieval at all. How are
    those allies going to communicate and coordinate their plans across the
    continent (they don't have e-mail, you know)?

If you take a step back and look, NATO no longer has a common enemy and has taken upon
    themselves the mission of securing peace in Europe. A mission rife with controversy.
    The Kosovo debacle showed that.
    The Alliance is fractured and reverting to the normality of international realations.
    "The Great Game," as it is called. So, NATO will collapse without the presence of a
    common enemy.... Which is an important tool in diplomacy as well. Bismark used the
    common enemy (France) to unify Germany.
    Using this model, one could say that the Basarji Federation in your own game is doomed
    to extiction as it seems to lack a common, unifying goal.

Well, there's my big ramble.... maybe it made some sence..... maybe.

Chris
    aka Fearless Leader

To unsubscribe from this list send mail to majordomo@lists.imagiconline.com
    with the line

Kenneth Gauck

My spiel on DMing (kinda long)

- -----Original Message-----
    Date: Wednesday, July 21, 1999 1:58 AM
    >
    >Taking Germany as an example, for hudreds of years Germany was no more that
    a collection
    >of duchies and principalities about the same size (if not smaller) than
    those in
    >Anuire. While it might be unreasonable for a massive alliance to form
    spanning the
    >entire continant, I do think that it is entirely possible for a large
    alliance, or
    >several of them to form in Anuire. While I am no big history buff, I would
    wager that
    >such alliances were common in old Germany. The BR book "War" by Simon Hawk
    demonstrates
    >this well I believe. In the end both Avanil and Boeruine ended up allying
    for the
    >purpose of siezing the Iron Throne.
    >

While in general I support analogizing from the Reich, let us not forget
    that in historical Germany, there was a functioning Emperor to rally around.
    Hence most of the large blocs in the Reich were those supporting the Empire
    and those opposing him. Such an institution will tend to unify support and
    opposition more than we should expect to see in Anuire.

Kenneth Gauck
    c558382@earthlink.net

To unsubscribe from this list send mail to majordomo@lists.imagiconline.com
    with the line

Thread Information