Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realm 2: Diemed

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for all your suggestions for Aerenwe, I am currently in the process of finishing off that document and will post it once complete. While you are waiting here is the second realm for discussion, Diemed.

Like Aerenwe, it is mostly complete, but is lacking the Domain Assets section (as that was included in the Atlas only recently, so almost all realms are missing that section). Also the Player's Secrets and Adventure Ideas need filling out.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    hmmm. Interesting. I also have been working on a Diemed source book, complete with maps of the realm, maps of the castle, coats of arms for the nobles of Diemed, and a 30+ page work-up of npc's, cities, topography, and secrets. I will post my book on the net in a couple of days.
    History does not remember soldiers, it remembers Kings.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You are welcome to contribute parts of your work to the Atlas version of Diemed if you like. Some section of the description can still use some work.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Shouldn't Diemed have a level 6 court? Possibly Caer Aerele is a palace? Because there's the thing about minimum court level should be minimum province/holding level, which is Ciliene. I definitely don't think Diemed is functioning with less than what is needed to run optimally.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Angelbialaska@Jan 20 2005, 09:03 PM
    Shouldn't Diemed have a level 6 court? Possibly Caer Aerele is a palace? Because there's the thing about minimum court level should be minimum province/holding level, which is Ciliene. I definitely don't think Diemed is functioning with less than what is needed to run optimally.
    The domain assets section (which includes court and places) isn't complete for Diemed, so its basic stats will need to be altered. That is what I need everyone to submit their ideas for.

The only realms I have done a full workup of domain assets for is Ghoere. To show you what a completed write up should look like, here is the that information, although I should note that it hasn't be properly checked and there are likely errors. This is meant just as an example.

DOMAIN ASSETS

Army: Ghoere maintains the third largest military force in Anuire, with nearly four thousand men at arms. It is also one of the most active, with the majority of his soldiers patrolling his borders and provinces. The rest are garrisoned at Rook Roost Castle and Ghoere’s other major fortifications.
    · 3 Archers (Garrisoned, 1½ GB)
    · 3 Cavalry (Active, 6 GB)
    · 3 Elite Infantry (Garrisoned, 3 GB)
    · 3 Iron Guard (Active, 9 GB)
    · 3 Pikemen (Garrisoned, 1½ GB)
    · 3 Mercenary Cavalry (Active, 6 GB)

Navy: Ghoere is a long way from any of Cerilia’s oceans and has little need for a navy. However, it does maintain a fleet of river patrol boats that enforce the Baron’s law and protect traders travelling along the Maesil.
    · 15 Keelboats (Active, 0 GB)

Fortifications: Ghoere currently maintains three major castles within its borders, and the ruins of several others razed in past wars can be seen across the barony.
    · Rock Roost Castle (level 6, Bhalaene)
    · City of Achiese (level 3, Achiese)
    · The Maesil Watch (level 3, Tornilen)

Vassals: If Gavin Tael is ever to succeed in his ambition to claim the Iron Throne he will need allies and vassals to support his cause. Unfortunately few other regents trust Ghoere, and his only true vassal is the guilder Ghorien Hiriele, head of the Highland/Overland Traders, and Tael watches him like a hawk, looking for any sign of disloyalty.
    · Ghorien Hiriele (Vassal, +20 GB)

Tribute: Baron Tael is careful not to antagonise the powerful clerics who control his realm’s temples, but he manages to extract a few gold bars worth of resources in tribute from each of the temples.
    · Militant Order of Cuiraécen (Ally, +5 GB)
    · Haelyn’s Aegis (Neutral, +1 GB)
    · Life and Protection of Avanalae (Neutral, +2 GB)

Payments: Only a single regent receives payments from the nation of Ghoere, and he is the mysterious and powerful figure known as the Sword Mage. Gavin Tael knows his nation will need a powerful wizard in the event of a war and is determined to keep the Sword Mage on his side, even if it means parting with a large amount of coin each season.
    · Sword Mage (Ally, 3 GB)

Highways: The lands of Ghoere are old and established, and several major roads travel through the barony. The first runs north from the city of Endier, through Tireste and Ghiere provinces to end at the city of Ghieste. The second begins in Ghiere and runs through Tornilen province to end at the city of Bhalaene. There the road splits into three new roads, one heading east through Thoralinar province into the Duchy of Elinie, the second travelling south-east through Achiese province into the Duchy of Osoerde, and the final road heading south through Danaroene province and into the Barony of Roesone.

Other Assets: The ferries that cross the Maesil near the cities of Ghieste and Riumache are Ghoere’s only other assets. It supports no palaces, ports, or shipyards.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Shouldn't at one of ghoere's province have a seaport (I do recall on the original map that they did have a port on the Maesil)?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Demanding 20GB tribute from the guilder, isn't that what's also called a death wish? I know that if I was GH, I'd instantly hire an assassin or 50 to get rid of Gavin Tael.

And where does it say that Tael demands tribute from the temples. If Tael does it, why doesn't others do it too?

I'm not sure about the Ally part of MOC. Being an ally with Ghoere, wouldn't that be problematic with the hostile Mhoried next door, where MOC also have holdings?

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's not like Gavin Tael needs the money from his vassals. The more than 50GB that he generates by himself do pay off the 28 GB military upkeep and 6 GB fortification upkeep and it still allows a level 10 court if he feels that's necessary. With the 3GB to Sword Mage, then there's still a bit to play around with (around 5GB).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Diemed corrections follow, note that it might be a bit anal to mention each one, it has to be done for completion's sake.

End of the Aerele description section:

The current Baron of Aerele is Vaesil Diem, Heirl’s fifteen-year-old son.* Since Vaesil is not yet old enough to rule the province, Heirl has appointed one of his cousins, Lord Tannen Diem (MA; Ftr3; Scion of Brenna, major, 42; LN) to rule until Moergan comes of age.
    Tannen Diem should have a level of scion listed and the last sentence should change Moergan to Vaesil as I suspect it was a copy-paste from the Osoerde section.

End of the description of the Averline Cathedral:

The Patriarch of the Orthodox Temple, Lavalan Briesen (MA; Clr5, Haelyn; Scion of Anduiras, major, 15), makes his home here.
    Scion level should be listed.

At the end of the Ciliene description:

The noble authority here is Count Rourmad Cilinie (MA; Nbl2 (lord); Scion of Basaia, major, 13; LE).* The count is among Duke Diem’s most loyal supporters and serves as his Master of the Treasury.*
    Noble (lord) would be noble (warrior) I imagine and again a scion level should be applied.

Middle of the Duene section:

Duene is ruled by the Count Vordhuine Elyns (MA; Nbl4 (lord); Scion of Vorynn, tainted, 3; NE).*
    Noble (warrior) As above I believe.

In History of Diemed:

Norvien, in a drunken stupor and believing that Richard stood no chance, agreed to the bargain.*

A fragment sentence, a possible reqrite would be:

"Norvien, in a drunken stupor and acting on the belief that Richard stood no chance, agreed to the bargain. "

Under important figures:

Diemed’s warrior duke, Heirl Diem (MA; Ftr7; Scion of Brenna, major, 42, LN) is a direct descendant of the founder of Diemed.
    Again the scion level.

Heirl is married to the Lady Briende Eleison (FA; Nbl0 (lord); Scion of Anduiras, minor 36; LN)
    Nbl0 does not exist so she should have at least 1 level.

Lasica Diem (FA; Wiz5; Scion of Brenna, major, 39) is the eldest daughter of the Duke, a raven-haired beauty in her early 20s.
    Scion level.

The eldest son Heirl Diem and heir to the Duchy of Diemed is Vaesil Diem (MA; Ftr3; Scion of Brenna, major, 39).
    Scion level.

Domain assets:

Fortifications: Caer Deretha (Aerele, Level 6), Caer Ciliene (Ciliene, Level 5) is stated at the beginning of the document but aerele is a 4/1 province so wouldn't that limit the castle size to 4?

Armies: 1 Knight, 1 Elite Infantry, 1 Cavalry, 2 Archers, 3 Infantry, 1 Irregular as described earlier in th edocument.

Court level: I, like Angelica, would suggest a level 6 court with perhaps some levels of Palace to be included in there. It does mention that the Dukes have sold off most of their manors and estates so I can imagine it going either way on the Palace front.

Navy: 2 Galleons, 7 coasters, 3 caravels as per the Seas of Cerilia sourcebook.

Vassals: Some might be tempted to add the OIT, I would suggest against it. The Imperial temple should wield considerable influence and would not bow down to a Duke, but to an Emperor they would be more accomodating. The OIT should be close allies however. While the OIT might not provide any financial or regency support as vassals they would maintain some troops and agitate to the Duke's advantage (not to mention cast realm spells).

Tribute: None

Payments: I would imagine the Dukes of Diem send gold to help maintain the Imperial City and remain in the good graces of the Chamberlain (not to mention gain an ally in supporting their own holdings in the capital).

Highways: Highways should extend from the Imperial City to elsewhere in Anuire via Diemed in the provinces of: ICofA - Ciliene - Moriel - Endier and ICofA - Ciliene - Aerele - Duene.

Other assets: As mentionned in Seas of Cerilia there should be ports in Aerele and Ciliene. I don't think the Duke needs a shipyard as the Imperial City does remain in close proximity and he holds some influence there.

Under Player Secrets:

Favour from on High: The Dukes have maintained cordial relations with the Imperial Chamberlain through the centuries since the fall of the Empire. While they have been loathe to ask anything from the custodian of the Iron Throne, they are owed a boon from he who would name the next Emperor.

In addition to the Relics of the Past I would add my suggestion of the sword Judgment as the weapon to be gifted to Diemed's general in times of war. Detailed here:

"Judgment": Once the blade of the first Prince of the Deretha, Judgment has remained a symbol for House Diem ever since the times of the first Roele. It rests in the court of Aerele on a mahogany stand just above the throne of Diemed as if to stand judgment over the rulers. It is only ever removed from its lofty position in times of war. In such eventualities, the Duke summons the general of his armies and the Archprelate of the Orthodox Imperial Temple to perform the ceremony of Arms, where the blade is granted to the general to wage war for the Duke.

The blade had long served House Diem well until the fateful day Uchaene Diem attacked Daen Roesone in Caercas. The mercenary captain met the opposing general on the battlefield and defeated him handily, capturing the blade in exchange for Uchaene's life. Out of respect to the ducal line (or preference to his own blade Glory's Fall), the Black Baron never carried the blade to battle but kept it in his own court. The blade was returned only after House Diem recognized House Roesone's claim to the lands of Roesone. Ever since, the blade is whispered to be cursed by the Black Hart and brings ruin to the wielder.

The whispers grew louder when the forces of Diemed were poised to crush the rebellion of Medoere. After Ruornil's divine intervention at Moonstrike Keep, only the blade remained untouched. Medoere later returned the blade as a gesture of goodwill, but the humiliation of the loss haunts the current Duke. Nevertheless, the Dukes balk at such superstition and maintain the tradition.

Axiomatic longsword +3, curse: Any army the character carrying Judgment leads into battle suffers a -2 penalty to Morale due to the misfortunes that have plagued House Diem since the fall of the Empire inspire little confidence in its warriors. This curse may be dispelled if a scion of House Diem manages to reverse its fortunes and restore House Diem's former power and prestige. If such a feat does occur, the blade's curse is lifted and instead provides a +2 morale bonus to all units in the army of a character possessing the blade.
    The Bear's Offer: The Archduke Boeruine's agents have recently approached the Duke in private about alliance. It is no secret the Archduke needs allies in his quest for the Throne. Boeruine wishes for Diemed's support in removing Prince Avan's hold on the Imperial City. One should be weary when dealing with the Archduke for he has a long memory for those that slight him.

Adventure Ideas:

Dragon's Claws: The Prince of Avanil, as his father before him, has slowly expanded his influence into Diemed. Soon, many whisper, the claws of the Dragon will clench into a fist around the Duchy in his bid for the Iron Throne.

Sectarian Strife: Further exacerbating the issue with Avanil are reports from the Duke's spies that the College of Cardinals of the Western Imperial Temple wishes to see expansion into Diemed and wrest the Book of Laws away from the Orthodoxy. Were the Duke to inform the Archprelate, this information might ignite sectarian warfare between both temples that would surely see Diemed fall into the Dragon's grasp.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Phil (and Raesene),
    I think I can field a few of those comments/questions:

1st: It looks like there's only going to be one official version of the Noble in the 3.5 BRCS (the aristocratic / lord all-around version witha med. BAB - the warrior noble is going to be left behind). So simply writing Nbl2 will be sufficient.

Domain assets:

Fortifications: Caer Deretha (Aerele, Level 6), Caer Ciliene (Ciliene, Level 5) is stated at the beginning of the document but aerele is a 4/1 province so wouldn't that limit the castle size to 4?
    Provincial castles, unlike fortified holdings, can be built and maintained above the province level for higher-than-normal costs (twice the base build cost if I remember rightly).

It's quite likely that Aerele was once a higher level province than 4/1, so Caer Deretha may have been built more affordably to level 6 "back in the good 'ol days" when Diemed was the great power of the south.

Court level: I, like Angelica, would suggest a level 6 court with perhaps some levels of Palace to be included in there. It does mention that the Dukes have sold off most of their manors and estates so I can imagine it going either way on the Palace front.
    Here again, Diemed may have once had a rather magnificent palace, though I wonder how well it's been maintained once Diemed fell on hard times.
    A Court (3) + Palace (3) is probably a reasonable compromise (4-1/2 GB per season maintenance) - some of the wings of a once-great palace (I imagine it was level 5 originally, paired w/ a level 5 court) are now empty halls and rooms collecting dust and slowly degrading into disrepair (leaky roof sections, vermin nests, mold and mildew, etc. - yummy).

Payments: I would imagine the Dukes of Diem send gold to help maintain the Imperial City and remain in the good graces of the Chamberlain (not to mention gain an ally in supporting their own holdings in the capital).
    Not so certain about this: there's a check-and-balance system with the Imperial City in that Diem holds Ciliene and shares control of the Arienbae with Avanil and the IC. In RoE it mentions that Diem could shut down trade through Ciliene if he ever felt so inclined. This sort of leverage might be sufficient to maintain the Chamberlain's goodwill.

While a prosperous Diemed might pay tribute to the IC, an impoverished Diemed probably would not. Hierl Diem simply can't afford it, IMO. He's far more worried about his former lands to the east than in gaining more power in the IC. If he pays tribute at all, it should be a token amount (like 1 GB a season).

Armies: 1 Knight, 1 Elite Infantry, 1 Cavalry, 2 Archers, 3 Infantry, 1 Irregular as described earlier in the document.
    A pretty puny army for a man who has designs on retaking Medoere, Ilien, and Roesone. This makes it obvious just how strapped for cash Hierl Diem really is. Just curious: no pikemen to defend/attack provinces that are mostly plains?

Osprey

Thread Information