Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's some homebrew material I created for my BR campaign, in which I've made Cerilian dragons inherently blooded and magical (they are essentially a deific Elder Race, on par with rank 0 deities). Their bloodline strength grows naturally with age, ideally spending their years living in a wild, mebhaighal-rich region. They are also so inherently tied to the mebhaighal that they become living sources, capable of using their own inherent magic to cast realm spells or empower great magics (spells and artificing that require xp).

Cerilian Dragons and Bloodlines

Cerilian dragons are primal creatures, whose blood and essence is closely tied to mebhaighal. This gives them the equivalent of a divine bloodline, but one that is tied to the gragon’s age and inherent power rather than its ancestry. This has several effects:

1. Dragons are treated as having a True Draconic bloodline score of 2 times their racial hit dice. So a 30 HD very old dragon would have a bloodline score of 60. This score does not grant blood abilities (dragons have natural spell-like abilities and sorcery instead), nor may it be increased by converting regency into bloodline. A dragon’s bloodline score is strictly limited by its age. The score is used soley for the purpose of determining maximum regency collection, RP reserve limits, and domain initiative bonus.

2. Dragons are treated as living sources of their own, whose source level is equal to its age category. An old dragon would thus be a source (8). This is only a source; there are no virtual guild levels created by the dragon’s mebhaighal.

3. Young or older Cerilian dragons (those who have spellcasting abilities as a sorcerer) may collect regency simply by existing, gaining RP each season equal to their age category. Full regency is only collected if the dragon has 10 total ranks in K/Arcana plus K/Nature. So a very old dragon would collect 9 RP per season from itself, plus any additional RP from any provinces or holdings it might control.

4. Although few Cerilian dragons choose to be regents of other sources, young or older dragons are free to become source regents if they so desire it. Although dragons may create and utilize ley lines with normal sources, they may not connect themselves (as a source) to these lines.

5. Young and older dragons may learn realm spells in addition to normal spells, limited by their K/Arcana (limit of 1 realm spell known per rank of K/Arcana). This requires the normal time and resources be spent learning them. Casting a realm spell still requires a full domain action, and costs RP and GB as normal. The dragon may use itself to fulfill the source requirement though it must remain within its current province for the entire month spent casting the ritual magics.

6. While dragons may not use regency to increase their bloodline, they instead gain the special ability to use RP as a substitute for XP when casting spells and creating magic items. Each point of RP counts as 25 xp for these purposes. So a very old dragon with a bloodline of 60 with its maximum reserve of 120 RP could use it to substitute up to 3000 xp in the casting of a spell (such as gate or wish) or creation of a magic item.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting.

Cerilian dragons are primal creatures, whose blood and essence is closely tied to mebhaighal. This gives them the equivalent of a divine bloodline, but one that is tied to the dragon’s age and inherent power rather than its ancestry. This has several effects
    IMO there is no connection between mebhaighal and divine essence or bloodlines. This is why elves can harness it without being blooded. The only reason to require being blooded is to have the use of the divine spark maintaining the survival of the caster. That is focusing of greater magic requires something more powerful than a mortal being - hence elven blood of the blood of the gods or the caster is simply burned up.

Dragons being as old (if not older) than the old gods (see blood spawn side bar) could easily have the physical power to survive greater magic, as could giants (although never really mentioned as such but they are one of the oldest races).

Now allowing dragons to serve as their own sources and portable realm spell power makes a lot of sense - I just think I'd steer away from granting them divine spells and such - keep them tied to mebhaighal (that is arcane magic).

One potential problem with giving dragons unique bloodlines is that anyone who slays one could theoretically gain a "new" bloodline. Could work but could also add a lot of problems in trying to keep things in check.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now allowing dragons to serve as their own sources and portable realm spell power makes a lot of sense - I just think I'd steer away from granting them divine spells and such - keep them tied to mebhaighal (that is arcane magic).
    Well that's why they're sources, not temples. I don't think I suggested or mentioned access to divine magic for Cerilian dragons.

I consider elves to be another elder race, only their individual power is far less concentrated than dragons - they've been sort-of "watered down" through generations of breeding, not to mention the weakening blow caused by the SW split, and the general weakening of mebhaighal in Cerilia since the humans began "civilizing" (elven translation: raping and pillaging) the continent.

One potential problem with giving dragons unique bloodlines is that anyone who slays one could theoretically gain a "new" bloodline. Could work but could also add a lot of problems in trying to keep things in check.
    Heh, well, I've made some design notes and special bloodline abilities for draconic bloodlines, mainly for the purpose of allowing dragon-blooded lineages (such as my yuan-ti in Aduria, and as a special plot in my current BR campaign). In the following post I'll put up what I've created thus far concerning draconic bloodlines.

Downloads
    Uploads
    DRACONIC BLOODLINES

Draconic Bloodline Abilities
    Alertness
    Alter Appearance (mi, ma)
    Blood History
    Bloodmark
    Character Reading
    Charm Aura
    Detect Illusion
    Detect Life
    Detect Thoughts (mi, ma)
    Divine Aura
    Elemental Control
    Enhanced Sense (ma, gr)
    Fear
    Heightened AbilityCharisma (mi, ma, gr)
    Heightened Ability – Constitution (mi, ma, gr)
    Heightened Ability - Strength (mi, ma, gr)
    Invulnerability*
    Iron Will
    Long Life
    Major Regeneration*
    Major Resistance – Charm
    Major Resistance – Poison
    Major Resistance – Non-magical Attacks
    Major Resistance – Magic
    Persuasion (ma, gr)
    Regeneration*
    Resistance (Magic) (mi, ma, gr)
    Trueblood (mi, ma, gr)
    Unreadable Thoughts

New or modified blood abilities:

Alter Appearance (Minor, Major)
    -Minor: Disguise Self 1/day
    -Major: Disguise Self at will

Detect Thoughts (Minor, Major)
    -Minor: Detect Thoughts 1/day
    -Major: Detect Thoughts at will

Elemental Control (Great)
    -may be taken more than once, each time choosing a different elemental focus.

Enhanced Senses (Major, Great)
    -Major: 60’ Darkvision, +2 Spot
    -Great: 60’ Darkvision + Scent ability, +4 Spot (supercedes major power).

Heightened Ability: Cha, Con, and Str (Minor, Major, Great)
    -Minor: +2
    -Major: +4
    -Great +6

Major Resistance: Magic (Great)
    -Spell Resistance equal to (10 + scion’s Hit Dice).

Persuasion (Major, Great)
    -Major: 1/day
    -Great: once per conversation

Resistance (Minor, Major, Great)
    -Minor: +4 saves vs. magic
    -Major: as minor, plus ¼ damage on save
    -Great: as minor plus no damage on save, ½ damage on failed save (as Improved evasion)

Trueblood (Minor, Major, Great)
    This ability may be taken multiple times; each time it is gained, a different physical draconic trait is gained, chosen from the lists below. Major abilities override leser ones (such as higher levels of armored skin; the lower level may be exchanged for a new trait). This ability is very similar to Bloodtrait, except the change is always into a draconic form. Social skill modifiers apply to all non-draconic creatures.

Minor:
    Armored Skin +2 (+1 Intimidate , -1 other social skills)
    Claws [2x1d6]
    Jaws [1d8] (+2 Intimidate, -2 other social skills)

Major:
    Armored Skin +4 (+2 Intimidate, -2 other social skills)
    Elemental Resistance: Acid (10)
    Elemental Resistance: Fire (10)
    Tail [1d6 rear weapon, +4 Balance, -2 social skills except Intimidate, +1 Maneuver]
    Vicious Claws [2x1d8] (-2 to any checks requiring the hands, such as weapon use)
    Vicious Jaws [2d6] (+4 Intimidate, -4 other social skills)

Great:
    Armored Skin +6 (+2 Intimidate, -2 other social skills)
    Breath Weapon (Flaming Venom, 1d8 per 2 HD), 3/day
    Dragon Wings (Fly 60’, Poor Maneuverability, Average with Tail)
    Elemental Absorption: Acid (30)
    Elemental Subtype: Fire (gains immunity to fire/heat, vulnerability to cold)
    Great Size (grows 1 size category, +4 Intimidate, -2 other social skills)
    Terrible Claws [2x2d6] (impossible to wield humanoid items)
    Terrible Jaws [3d6] (+6 Intimidate, -6 other social skills)

True:
    Armored Skin +8
    Tremendous Size (grows 2 size categories, +8 Intimidate, -4 other social skills, -1 Fly maneuverabilty)
    True Flight (Fly 120’, Average)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think you threw me with the statement about a "divine bloodline", that gives me the image of divine spells especially when used in context with realm spells.

IIRC there were only a handful of dragons left (there has been much discussion over what their names are). This is pretty significant and I would watch out not to add any more. This is particulary important since the dragons are so old, and mobile. It is very reasonable to have the "surviving" dragons seeking refuge on other continents.

Regardless, having only type of dragon would yield one type of draconic bloodline. It is important, IMO, to maintain this aspect of BR to avoid it becoming too Forgotten Realmish. Having only one type of dragon, unlike different subraces of humans (similarity to different human gods and bloodlines) should yield an extremely unique set of blood abilities, if one goes that way. I would also avoid crossing over into the UA bloodlines on this issue. Physical transformation is a property of becoming an awnshegh/ershegh and this is another aspect that should be maintained, IMO - it's what separates them from other scions.

One thing that bothers me about the whole draconic bloodlines issue is the likelihood of introducing half-dragons as a standard BR race.

Another question would be concerning the 'draconic' races (e.g., kobold, etc.) would they have inherent bloodlines due to their heritage?

Having said all of that - this is an interesting idea that deserves more flushing out since it opens the door for a whole lot of issues that might not have been thought about before hand.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think you threw me with the statement about a "divine bloodline", that gives me the image of divine spells especially when used in context with realm spells.
    Ah, I use "divine bloodline" to distinguish a scion's bloodline from a mundane one, in the sense that all bloodlines are of divine (deific) origin, but manifest in a great variety of ways.

IIRC there were only a handful of dragons left (there has been much discussion over what their names are). This is pretty significant and I would watch out not to add any more. This is particulary important since the dragons are so old, and mobile. It is very reasonable to have the "surviving" dragons seeking refuge on other continents.
    Actually, the dragons as a dying race is the theme that inspired the whole idea of draconic descendents - and might make the last true dragon desperate for some way to pass on her heritage (Zakhura/Lifesbane of the Five Peaks being the youngest surviving Cerilian dragon I believe - or so it became in my storyline at least). Zakhura is now an old female - in my story she was banished forever from the Drachenauract by the few surviving grand elders (who have grown both paranoid and xenophobic in their ancient retreats). She has never lived down the disgrace of her exile, and fears to converse with any of her kind, even as her instincts have punished her for her years of solitude when she should have found a mate and layed several clutches of eggs.

Desperate times call for desperate measures...she takes an opportunity to impress and intimidate a powerful mage (Landen Aelies, son of the High Mage Aelies), and begins to groom him as a worthy mate. Once his magic is strong enough, he will be able to take on the true form of a dragon - if he proves worthy in Zakhura's eyes. With his great bloodline of Vorynn, I had to wonder what sort of children would be produced?

In other places it is not inconcievable that a dragon, perhaps one in human guise, would become enamored with a human and spawn a human with draconic blood, who could then pass that essence on to his children, and so on. Which makes the idea of a dragon-worshiping tribe whose rulers are dragon-blooded seem pretty feasible...and cool.

Regardless, having only type of dragon would yield one type of draconic bloodline. It is important, IMO, to maintain this aspect of BR to avoid it becoming too Forgotten Realmish. Having only one type of dragon, unlike different subraces of humans (similarity to different human gods and bloodlines) should yield an extremely unique set of blood abilities, if one goes that way.
    Yep, I agree that Cerilian dragons should have only one bloodline derivation. That was my intention from the beginning. I did make a few unique abilities, but this was the quick list of things off the top of my head and in the existing material that seemed appropriately "draconic" in nature. I'd love to hear any other ideas for draconic blood abilities.

I would also avoid crossing over into the UA bloodlines on this issue.
    Since I know very little about UA bloodlines, you can be sure that any crossover is coincidental.

Physical transformation is a property of becoming an awnshegh/ershegh and this is another aspect that should be maintained, IMO - it's what separates them from other scions.
    True Form is similar but different. It is the dragon's blood calling to the body to take on its instinctual draconic form. Such an ability speaks to the power and control exerted by such a bloodline within a mortal frame.

The difference for awnsheglien and ersheglien is that these scions carry the blood of human gods - they are driven to take on the soul's true form. But a draconic scion who transforms has a human soul overwhelmed by the primal essence of a dragon's spirit - he becomes possessed by it, the flesh giving way to the spirit.

A god creates, a dragon Is.

One thing that bothers me about the whole draconic bloodlines issue is the likelihood of introducing half-dragons as a standard BR race.
    Well, this is the sort of half-dragon I'd rather have, one who has transformed through the power of blood. I'm flat-out opposed to half-dragons born as such, don't have a big problem with the dragon disciple but would prefer a blood-powered transformation as the only way such a thing is possible. This would keep them far from being a "standard" BR race, I promise. Imagine how freakish such a character would be almost anywhere in human Cerilia.

However as a blood power this also means it's just as possible to play a draconic scion who never changes his physical form at all, or only in minor ways. This could be a lot of fun for a PC concept IMO, and would make for an excellent villain or other NPC too.

But transformed, blooded yuan-ti (some of them fairly evolved half-dragon types) living in a remote jungle realm...that's brilliant pulp D&D adventure right there, baby! :P

Could be pretty cool with a dragon-worshipping human tribe, too, where a few of the people have been gifted with the bloodline of the dragon god, and rule the tribe while vying with each other for power.

Another question would be concerning the 'draconic' races (e.g., kobold, etc.) would they have inherent bloodlines due to their heritage?
    See above - they make for good pointers as candidate races for draconic bloodlines, but only if you as a DM wants that in your campaign. Personally, I don't have kobolds at all IMC, they're too much like lesser goblins, who can fill the "our ancestors were mighty sorcerers" role pretty well (or so the Spider's tale hints).

Having said all of that - this is an interesting idea that deserves more flushing out since it opens the door for a whole lot of issues that might not have been thought about before hand.
    What issues were you thinking of? You mean just the above stuff, or other things you're mulling over?

Osprey

Downloads
    Uploads
    For dragons being regents the best exsample you could use is the dragon found in the heartlest waste supliment of the vos lands, It details a dragon that awoke there and claimed acouple provences and source in the vos land.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well i like your idea of dragons effectily having a blood str equal to double there hd, And i also like your idea of them gaining Rp equal to the age catagory just for staying alive, but i would see this more as just there magical nature and not god juice.
    Im not sure that i like your view of Dragons being living source holdings, and I don't like your idea of them gaining blood powers, I would think that just being the super powerfull magical monsters that they are, is enough. I would go so far to say that even if they ate a powerfull scion they would not gain a real blood str or blood powers. But your ideas do seem interesting and it looks like you put a lot of thought in it, how did it turn out in your campaign?
    There are two dragon source holders that i found one is The Dragon of Vstaive peak or also called Vore Lekiniskiy and the The Dragon of Drachenward both are in the vos lands very old and powerfull The Dragon of Drachenward is a 21 level wizard.
    errr you can taunt me if yha want but that quote butten seems to have me perplexed some one want ta tell me what im doing wrong >

Downloads
    Uploads
    Im not sure that i like your view of Dragons being living source holdings, and I don't like your idea of them gaining blood powers, I would think that just being the super powerfull magical monsters that they are, is enough. I would go so far to say that even if they ate a powerfull scion they would not gain a real blood str or blood powers. But your ideas do seem interesting and it looks like you put a lot of thought in it, how did it turn out in your campaign?
    First off: dragons don't have blood abilities - this is stated explicitly in section 1. of the first post. They have sorcery and spell-like abilities instead of blood abilities.

The Draconic Bloodline powers in my 2nd post are there for the purpose of detailing non-dragon scions with draconic derivation. IMC this applied to descendants of offspring between a dragon and non-dragon - such as a dragon polymorphs into human form and mates with an unblooded human. The resulting offspring is a human with a Major Draconic bloodline. Since dragons have True bloodlines, any non-dragon offspring are almost guaranteed to have draconic derivations.

The issue of bloodthefting dragons is an interesting one, however, but given the rarity of dragons and the epic accomplishment in slaying one, I'd be inclined to allow it IMC.

The issue of dragons bloodthefting scions is also interesting - I hadn't really thought about it before. Perhaps by slaying a scion, a dragon might actually speed up its aging process, potentially gaining Hit Dice or even an age category if the bloodline increase is sufficiently high.

A less-powerful version of this might allow dragons to simply boost their RP reserves through bloodtheft, but not allow any RP gain beyond their reserve limit.

As far as my campaign goes, the effects are mostly invisible to the players because there's only one dragon (Lifesbane, in the Five Peaks) they've interacted with thus far. See my last post for the plot I developed around this.

In general I've liked the added domain-level power dragons wield with these rules, especially their potential to cast realm spells and be capable of crafting magical items. It enhances their status as primal manifestations of mebhaighal, a theme I really enjoy being a part of the draconic lore and history of Cerilia. They are almost like a race of old gods or great elder beings, and now their power better reflects that.

Osprey

Thread Information