Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Then it will have to be level 8, since the royal court of Brosengae is one of the most impressive and there's all the stuff about diplomats wanting to get posted there. Little gets done, but there's prestige in it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There can also be exceptions to the rule like parts of the Secrets books. One of Brosengae's assets may be that their court can exceed the province level, just that they pay through the teeth to maintain it, despite the strain on the treasury, to keep up appearances. An excellent plot hook would be where the regent might consider dropping it some but the local nobility will certainly cause quite the stir if the duchess so much as breathed a word of any consideration of doing so.

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, as long as the exceptions are well thought out and put in there for a reason, I don't see any reason why changes can't be made.

The Spiderfell, for example, is one NPC realms I have significantly altered the normal rules of troop maintenance for, otherwise the Spider wouldn't have an army and wouldn't have been able to survive in the heart of the Empire for the past 1,500+ years.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    The title "Organisations" is a little confusing. I expected something like "Organisations" chapter at FR CS or Lords of Darkness to FR.
    The power groups of Brt are not so magical imagination shakers as Zhentarim, Red Wizards of Thay or Shades.

btw. do You notice that all city of Shade story from 3,0-3,5 FR is similiar to a story of Siebharrinn and Sideath province of Tuarhievel?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Spiderfell, for example, is one NPC realms I have significantly altered the normal rules of troop maintenance for, otherwise the Spider wouldn't have an army and wouldn't have been able to survive in the heart of the Empire for the past 1,500+ years.
    I made heavy use of the tribal units BRCS rule to justify a large force of humanoids making a permanent home there. I divided the Spiderfell into two 1/8 provinces, east and west (which incidentally strengthens Caine as a source regent). That creates 32 GB worth of mustering as free units, all of whom obey the Spider's commands when he calls on them for war. It only gives the Spider 2 GB a season in gross income though, so if he wants to increase his income he must rely on raiding and looting. Regular banditry can thus be a fairly decent supplemental income, which he'll then use to hire mercenaries for one of his "big raids" which happen every so many years (and ideally bring in even more loot to replenish the depleted treasury).

Of course, here's an instance where I first adapted my raiding rules (see BRCS forum) to allow fast raids that don't require a full month of occupation to see a profit. The traditional pillaging requirements effectively trap the Spider and make his supposed history of raids infeasible (because if every regent has 4 war moves to react, they will rarely fail to crush the invaders before any real looting takes place). Every regent expects the Spider to attack their realm sooner or later, and it's not like the Spider has a pool of human spies and informants keeping him updated on all the surrounding realms (like when a realm's army is engaged elsewhere and vulnerable to attack).

Another little slice of income might come from a tribute agreement from Caine. Using the two provinces at 1/8, if Caine is the sole source regent then he has 2 level 4 virtual guilds (VG's). What if there are secret (smuggling) trade routes going to Endier, Ghoere, or Roesone? Each VG could support 2 routes bringing in 2 GB just on that end - that's 8 GB a season, plus the local income of 5-1/3 GB per season - totalling 13 GB/season! Wherever these trade routes connect, there's profit on the other end for the smugglers, so that's sorta' taken care of already. I expect Caine would consider himself lucky to get 3 GB a season (and 2 L8 sources&#33 out of all of this, while the Spider agrees to leave him unharmed in the forest and gets a fat 10 GB per season in tribute. Goblins could also be running actual guilds (2 x L1 holdings) for a little extra profit, too - with a couple of smuggling routes, that's another 2 GB a season. 2 L1 Law holdings might also add another 2/3 GB to the income.

Spider's total income with this scenario: 15 GB/season

What do you think of that, Raesene? Makes a few standing elite goblin/gnoll units a real possibility, especially if his crack troops are military cohorts (1/2 maintenance). At his level, he could maintain 17 GB worth of cohorts - and a few able lieutenants with leadership could also have their own military cohorts, too, meaning ALL of his standing troops (the real veterans of the Spiderfell) could be at 1/2 normal maintenance. And this without bending any rules whatsoever, just using them to their best effect.

I much prefer keeping things within the rules whenever possible, it makes life a lot easier for DM's, and most importantly players will stay motivated to compete if they believe they're on a level playing field (as level as it can be against anceint awnsheglien, at least).

Osprey

Downloads
    Uploads
    There can also be exceptions to the rule like parts of the Secrets books. One of Brosengae's assets may be that their court can exceed the province level, just that they pay through the teeth to maintain it, despite the strain on the treasury, to keep up appearances. An excellent plot hook would be where the regent might consider dropping it some but the local nobility will certainly cause quite the stir if the duchess so much as breathed a word of any consideration of doing so.
    I really don't see any reason to push Brosengae's court above level 8 - it IS one of the best in the world at that point. I expect only the Imperial Court (at 10+), and maybe Avan's, is more impressive, as it should be. I mean, what is EM going to do even with a L8 court? She'll rarely be able to use all of those court actions (4) in a single month, and the cost/benefit ratio would be blatantly inefficient in a guilder's eyes. And Erien IS a business woman after all...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Eriene is also a noble. And Brosengae isn't a large realm or anything. They use the guild as some way of getting others to look in their direction. Besides there's a lot to be gained from being quite popular with the diplomats of other realms, who'll love a posting in Brosengae's court.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Life and Protection of Avanalae is listed as giving tribute to Ghoere. Would this not be to Cariele, where LPA is lieutenant and also gives regency?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I liked your work up on the orthodox imperial temple. Good work.
    History does not remember soldiers, it remembers Kings.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Who invested Jaison Raenech and how? Depending on Osoerde's story, you might need to make some changes. If for example, the Cuiraecen church in Osoerde was the official state religion, then they should have invested him, but then you cannot really have their regent be opposed to him.

Just 2cents

Thread Information