Soviet wrote:

> Okay I have some questions about the regency system...
> 1) Is the regent the only one who take regency: In my gaming group there is a
> F5(regent) a F3/T3 and a F3/M3..well The mage wants to become court wizard but
> how does he gain control on the sources? and what if they are aready controlled
> by another mage from a neigborhood domain?

Yes, only those people with holdings/provinces will collect regency. If your mage
wants to be court mage and control the realm's sources (a court mage doesn't have
to be the owner of the realm's sources, that is just how it is most commonly used)
he has several options as follows:
- -Act as a lieutenant of the regent and help the regent create some sources in the
realm. Then use investure to transfer the ownership of the sources to th mage PC.
- -Have the mage PC do "Create Holding" which costs only gold. From there he can
rule it to level (1) then start collecting RPs. Then he's got to oust the other
mage and take over with contests
- -Get the fighter regent to have a friendly regent priest divest (investing holdings
away from someone without that person's consent, althought it is just like
investure) the other wizard's sources and hand thier control to the PC mage.

Hope that helps. I'd also suggest using the 10 - target level +/- RP = success
chance for all Rule actions. Also, do not let your players skirt the Diplomacy
action. If the fighter wants to make some sort of agreement on trade routes with
the local guilder, then make him use a diplomacy action, not just standard [snail
mail] letters.

>
> 2)The thief character wants to start taking control of the guilds, is this a
> simple contesting action vs the holdings? if he is suscesful does he gets
> regency points for them?

The thief just can't up and contest the guilds. Only people who control holdings
in province X may contest other people's holdings. Contest also costs RPs, things
a holding-less PC doesn't have. Contest will disable or destroy holdings, not
transfer them intact. If the thief wants to take over the guilds without damaging
them, he's going to have to get the friendly neighborhood priest to do the
Investure spell for him. But keep in mind, nothing is for free and not all
neighborhood priests are going to do the spell for just a bit of shiny metal. If
the priest does the spell for your PC, the PC will owe the priest a lot. And when
the priest is going to get thrown out of the neighboring realm because he contested
the king's law holdings, guess who Mr. Priest is going to come running to for help?

>
> 3) can a non regent wizard cast realm spells?

No. Period. However a regent with source holdings could let the non-regent wizard
borrow the source for the month it takes him to cast the spell. Assuming, of
course, that the non-regent wizard had learned a realm spell from somewhere. And
if you want to be difficult, think of how many pages of a Wizard's Spellbook a
realm spell would take up? At 50gp a page, that can get expensive.

>
>
> 4) this is way out of topic: but has anyone considered how powerful a Vampire
> will be upon the world of Cerilia(he does feed on blood)?

There is an awnsheglien called the Vampire in Brechtur but he didn't just make up
his name so there are definetly more Vampires about. However Cerilia is a
low-magic world so there aren't many Vamps. But for bloodtheft to occur it has to
be a strike through the heart so they wouldn't be THAT more powerful. Unless the
DM want them too be...

A little note on the low-magic ness of BR, you have to be consistant if you want it
to stay that way. Don't give out many magical items, maybe a Sword +1 at 4th
level. Also remember that most items are custom made. A plain sword +1 will be
VERY rare. If a wizard is going to take the time to create a magical item, he will
put some extra little spell on it. Maybe a Sword +1 that can Detect Magic once per
day. Make each item unique. Also, make the enemies "normal." Fill your stories
not with Displacer Beasts and Elemental kin, but with regular humans, demi-, and
- -oids. If I put something more fantastic in, I try to make it an awnsheglien or
something in the service of a greater (demi)human(oid), even if the master is an
awnsheglien. I'm just speaking from my exprince with trying to keep my BR
campaigns of a low-magic feel (limited exprince compared to others on the list).

To unsubscribe from this list send mail to majordomo@lists.imagiconline.com
with the line