Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Iron Throne lists Brosengae as a Border nation and Taeghas as a duchy. From its map, it does appear as though Brosien was part of Brosengae. Also, inside the book, the ruler of Taeghas is referred to as Count and that of Brosengae as Duke.

Kinda messy, no?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would make a slight modification to the list provided by Osprey and remove both instances of Infantry (and maybe even the archers) and replace them with a smaller number of irregulars. Aerenwe is a neutral realm, and such in theory needs not a large standing army. However, the ability to conscript irregulars rather than levies would more then make up for it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would make a slight modification to the list provided by Osprey and remove both instances of Infantry (and maybe even the archers) and replace them with a smaller number of irregulars. Aerenwe is a neutral realm, and such in theory needs not a large standing army. However, the ability to conscript irregulars rather than levies would more then make up for it.
    Well, there's a few good reasons I beefed up Aerenwe's army: one is that Lilian Swordwraith personally led a coup against the last king, and I imagine it was a full-on civil war. Plus she is a hardened warrior of many personal battles. Such a person would see their freedom as something that was fought for and won, and thus something that must be fiercely protected.

Aerenwe may be officially neutral, but Lilian is sympathetic to Roesone and probably unfriendly with Jaison Raenech. He is a known tyrant who impales his own subjects while hunting down the rightful heir...who would trust such a ruthless and ambitious regent on their borders? Not to mention the southern swamp mage remaining a constant threat just across the river.

So all in all I expect there's a strong castle in Calrie with a strong garrison ensuring that Raenech doesn't turn his gaze south looking for easy pickings.

All that said, though, I think irregulars could fill in well enough for garrison duty, especially if it's a couple of veteran units (from the wars, you know). Also, let's say ETN will take over the support of the 2 marine companies. Hmm, how about like this?

2 Rangers of the Erebannien* (VLIrr, Scout, Tough) (5 GB)
    2 Elite Irregulars (VLIrr, Tough) (4 GB)
    2 Elite Archers (VLA, +Missile) (4 GB)
    2 Pikemen (RMP) (2 GB)
    2 Marines (RLIrr, Marine) (ETN)

10 companies, costing 6 GB per season garrisoned

Downloads
    Uploads
    That new number looks pretty good coupled with the idea of giving Aerenwe the ability to call upon Hero units and the irregular levy. Although I would suggest the irregulars levied freely be only applicable from the forested provinces of the Erebannien. As Osprey pointed out, the number of rangers is small so it might reflect how the rangers are able to rally the populace to protect the forest. Aerenwe only needs 1 set of scouts garrisoned in Calrie to watch for most threats

Downloads
    Uploads
    One question -- how long ago did Lilian overthrow the tyrant? If it's been a decade or more, then the Infantry would have likely been disbanded in the intervening years...
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion -- and usually easier."

- R. A. Heinlien, from The Collected works of Lazarus Long

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lilliene overthrew the tyrant some 50 years ago.

I don't know if this matters or not... but I've got some input as one of the main authors involved with writing up Aerenwe. I made some edits to the doc that I had never gotten around to sending Raesene... primarily, I renamed Reynard Gavril (the tyrant) to Saleth Gavril. Giving credit where credit is due, I took the name Saleth from Solmyr's Anuirean timeline and incorporated into my own timeline for my PBEM.

I had also added the following plot:

GHOSTS OF THE PAST:
    Lately, the Queen has been assaulted in her dreams by a series of terrible nightmares. In these dreams, the deposed and slain tyrant Saleth taunts Liliene by labelling everything she has accomplished a failure that will be destroyed upon her death. Liliene has begun to suspect that these nightmares are more than just dreams and that, somehow, some part of Saleth may have survived. Though she has yet to share these suspicions with anyone else, she grows more worried with each passing day. Her suspicions are more right than she knows.
    In his life, King Saleth Gavril was secretly a powerful wizard. Upon his death, he was able to transfer a part of his life force into the sword that killed him; Wraith. It has taken nearly fifty years for Saleth’s spirit to strengthen to the point where it is now able to invade the mind of whoever carries the sword. Slowly, but surely, Saleth is corrupting Liliene Swordwraith’s mind in the hopes of one day effecting total control over her and perhaps even regaining physical form.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Fearless_Leader@Jan 21 2005, 09:42 AM
    In his life, King Saleth Gavril was secretly a powerful wizard. Upon his death, he was able to transfer a part of his life force into the sword that killed him; Wraith. It has taken nearly fifty years for Saleth’s spirit to strengthen to the point where it is now able to invade the mind of whoever carries the sword. Slowly, but surely, Saleth is corrupting Liliene Swordwraith’s mind in the hopes of one day effecting total control over her and perhaps even regaining physical form.
    I like this idea very much.
    I will use it our campaign. Thx.

It's 1575. Liliana has died 1541, but the sword is lurking throuhg Erebannien 'till today.

Thread Information