Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by RaspK_FOG@Feb 3 2005, 08:51 PM
    Rogue, of course... In any case, I think we are in agreement that the current version of the prestige class works fine, right?
    So under the current version the halfing takes a level in magic user (unless they are a scion of Basiai), and then 4 levels in ranger. Except for the Basiai exception they will start taking a 20% experience penalty after their 2nd ranger level, on top of already being a rather weak 3rd level character after splitting their levels such. I try not to powergame, but I also prefer having characters which aren't a drag on the party and can be effective.

This is your baby Rasp, and in most respects a beautiful baby it is, but I do think that their is a problem.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Or a 5th-level (bard/wizard/whatever)/2nd-level fighter, or, for simplicity's sake, take one of the many 1st-level-only feats that allows you to take a skill as a class skill... If you really want to get there faster, you can do it a number of ways; what I find irritating is that you got stuck with the idea of having many ranger levels: rogues are survivalists, bards know how to take care of themselves, etc... Supposedly speaking, a halfling cleric of Avani/Ruornil (they both have the Knowledge domain) might well be the best candidate for the class and can also take it without multiclassing at 6th-level... :P

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by RaspK_FOG@Feb 4 2005, 06:05 AM
    Or a 5th-level (bard/wizard/whatever)/2nd-level fighter, or, for simplicity's sake, take one of the many 1st-level-only feats that allows you to take a skill as a class skill... If you really want to get there faster, you can do it a number of ways; what I find irritating is that you got stuck with the idea of having many ranger levels: rogues are survivalists, bards know how to take care of themselves, etc... Supposedly speaking, a halfling cleric of Avani/Ruornil (they both have the Knowledge domain) might well be the best candidate for the class and can also take it without multiclassing at 6th-level... :P
    One of the requirements is 6 ranks in survival. Barbarian, Druid and ranger are the only classes which have that as a class skill. So I am assuming that one of those 3 classes has to be the core of any combination to be qualified below level 9. Druid doesn't have the right feel since since the shadow world has become a warped caricature of all they hold dear, and I really just can't see a halfing rager.

The first power you have it is Hide in the Seeming, which leads me to believe that this was made for Rangers, rogues or bards, the ones who have the hide skill.

So I think I have strong grounds for assuming that ranger is going to be a core class of the PrC.

I don't actually recall the feat which gives access to a skill or knowledge, at least not within the BRCS or players handbook. I thought that the Atlas was not going to require any other books. That still would not help unless a character took 3 levels in ranger or a level in fighter as all of their 3 feats through level 6 are already used for PrC prerequisites.

The halfling cleric of Avani/Ruornil could not take it without multi-classing because of survival.

Please correct me if I am wrong but their will probably only be 1 PrC for halfings in the Atlas, certainly only 1 for halflings in the shadow world. So I want to make sure that this class can be accessed at a reasonable level, and doesn't require major sacrificies in strength to reach it.

I really do respect both the work you have put into this and your opionion trememdously Rasp and am not trying to piss you off. I just think that a well made PrC is going to be put to little use unless the prerequisites are altered to allow for a reasonably strengthed class progression to take it at 6th level. If you have no problem with this class rarely being taken prior to 10th level then I drop any of my complaints.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You are correct, it is likely that there will only be 1 prestige class for halflings in the Atlas. That number isn't set though, if 2 really good classes are submitted and voted for, then they will be included. Space is not as major an issue when dealing with a pdf published document.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry for my use of words; I spoke in a disrespectful tone which I did not have any real ground to use...

I suppose, then, that the following might be done: return to the idea of using BAB as the groundwork for limiting the character accessibility level instead of BFB (which is good, since I thought that the real min-maxer might as well take 1 level in 2 survivalistic classes and thus gain the BFB +4 quite easilly), and drop the ranks in skills back at 5 ranks (though I will be keeping both K(SW) and Survival). As I have mentioned earlier on, a BAB +4 is inaccessible before level 5 to anyone multiclassed with anything other than a warrior class (the characteristic +0 at 1st level), and the skill prerequisites are accessible even to straight classed 7th-level survivalistic characters?

I am posting these differences now; I would prefer keeping to the BFB requirement, but it seems that, while flavourful, it doesn't work as I would like (in my campaigns, it would, as I use a system which protects normal players from abusers and also backs less combatant classes a bit up). The reason I post is to get feddback, anyway, and to work out problematic areas.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Having a discussion about a possible BR campaign in the very near future, I remember this littl piece and wondered if anyone had anything else to say - the prerequisites are still a matter that bothers me.
    Last edited by RaspK_FOG; 02-13-2008 at 10:56 PM.

Thread Information