Thread: Race...

Downloads
    Uploads

Race...

Greetings, fellow listers...

Here's a home rule I devised for use in my Birthright campaign. Perhaps
    it can be of use to you as well...

RACE
    Each province in a domain is of a certain race which corresponds with the race of the majority of the population; a province of a certain race is called so, because it is populated by members of that race. Like the province itself, the race of a province is rated with a level. This race rating is at least half the province rating and at most equal to the province rating.
    Now each time a regent takes a Rule action to increase the province rating of a province, he automatically increases the race rating of that province as well, but only if he is of the same race as the province race. Regents of a different race that increase the province rating can choose if they want to increase the current race rating accordingly (encouraging the native population of the province to prosper) or keep it unchanged (encouraging people of his own race to settle in the province). Should the regent's rule increase the province rating to at least twice the current race rating, the race of the province is changed to that of the regent and the new race rating is set equal to the new province rating. Effectively, the regent will then have driven out and replaced the province's original population. However, there are some exceptions to this rule. Dwarven race ratings can be increased in hilly or mountainous provinces only. Dwarven regents ruling elsewhere will simply increase the native population instead. Likewise, elven race ratings can be increased in forested provinces only. Elven regents ruling elsewhere increase the native population. Further, any regent ruling a province of his own race, immediately sets the race rating to the maximum possible. Note that all humans are treated as a single race for this purpose - the actual race of humans populating a province is determined by the region it is in. Half-elven regents are treated as elven ones when ruling forested provinces, otherwise as humans. Finally, provinces created by a Create Province action are always populated by members of the regents own race if possible, otherwise by humans.
    Provinces that have their ratings decreased for any reason, have their race ratings decreased only if said decrease would make the province rating fall below the race rating (since the race rating can never exceed the province rating). The race of a province is used primarily to determine which type of units can be mustered in a given province. Note that muster requirements are not race rating dependant - only the province level and the effective province race are considered. Thus, any level 4 or higher dwarven province can raise a unit of dwarven guards (not just those with a race rating of 4 or above) and a level 3 elven province with an elven regent can raise as many as 3 units of elven archers, regardless of it's race rating. Of course, to be of the dwarven and elven race respectively, those two provinces must both have race ratings that are at least equal to half the province rating.
    Note that this system is targeted primarily at PC domains. Do yourself a favour and keep track of race ratings in PC-governed provinces only. Use your own judgement and do what seems right to you when dealing with NPC domains.

Comments, questions, and criticism welcome as always...

- the Falcon

Mathieu Roy

Race...

[Snip]

> Comments, questions, and criticism welcome as always...

Well, it is very good, if a bit complex. What I'm having trouble with is the inability of demihuman rulers to bring people of their own race in any other terrain except those they are "traditionally" associated with. Neither dwarves and elves are any less adaptable than humans, and they would settle in plains far more easily than humans would settle in swamps. In fact, before the arrival of the humans, the elves held most of the continent and were settled in the plains. I've always seen the Sidhelien as being a lot less forest-bound than their other-worldly cousins.

Mathieu

Downloads
    Uploads

Race...

> Well, it is very good, if a bit complex. What I'm having trouble with is the inability of demihuman rulers to bring people of their own race in any other terrain except those they are "traditionally" associated with. Neither dwarves and elves are any less adaptable than humans, and they would settle in plains far more easily than humans would settle in swamps. In fact, before the arrival of the humans, the elves held most of the continent and were settled in the plains. I've always seen the Sidhelien as being a lot less forest-bound than their other-worldly cousins.

Then why oh why aren't there any unforested elven kingdoms or
    nonmountainous dwarven realms? (If they do exist, excuse me for not
    knowin - I only know about Anuire and Khinasi...)

Downloads
    Uploads

Race...

would settle in swamps. In fact, before the arrival of the humans, the elves
    held most of the continent and were settled in the plains. I've always seen
    the Sidhelien as being a lot less forest-bound than their other-worldly
    cousins.
    >
    >Then why oh why aren't there any unforested elven kingdoms or
    >nonmountainous dwarven realms? (If they do exist, excuse me for not
    >knowin - I only know about Anuire and Khinasi...)
    >
    There aren't any. The elves never lived on the plains - it's just their
    propaganda to justify their desire to control all Cerilia :)

Aleksei Andrievski
    aka Solmyr, Archmage of the Azure Star
    aka Azure Star Dragon
    solmyr@kolumbus.fi
    http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Fortress/2198/index.html

Mathieu Roy

Race...

the Falcon wrote:

> > Well, it is very good, if a bit complex. What I'm having trouble with is the inability of demihuman rulers to bring people of their own race in any other terrain except those they are "traditionally" associated with. Neither dwarves and elves are any less adaptable than humans, and they would settle in plains far more easily than humans would settle in swamps. In fact, before the arrival of the humans, the elves held most of the continent and were settled in the plains. I've always seen the Sidhelien as being a lot less forest-bound than their other-worldly cousins.
    >
    > Then why oh why aren't there any unforested elven kingdoms or
    > nonmountainous dwarven realms? (If they do exist, excuse me for not
    > knowin - I only know about Anuire and Khinasi...)

I don't know of any non-montainous dwarf kingdoms. I know of only one mostly non-forested elf kingdom: Rhuobhe.

But, from Ruins of Empire: "The fair folk eventually conceded the plains, the hills, and the coasts on the upstart humans..." They withdrew to the woods because they were more easily defensible from the humans, and yes, because they do prefer forested areas over plains (much like humans tend to prefer plains over forests). But they did settle the non-forested lands, IMHO.

Mathieu

JulesMrshn@aol.co

Race...

I think the question is, why would they want to settle somewhere else.
    Dwarves live in mountains and hills. Elves love forrests. Why move?

JulesMrshn@aol.co

Race...

Hey don't DL happy99.exe its a virus...

Mathieu Roy

Race...

JulesMrshn@aol.com wrote:

> I think the question is, why would they want to settle somewhere else.
    > Dwarves live in mountains and hills. Elves love forrests. Why move?

The same reasons that humans move and settle down somewhere: overcrowding,
    valuable resources, good food, trade routes, even strategic military location.
    The whole halfling race left their "normal" habitat (the Shadow World) because
    of war. Humans settle near swamps, but that can hardly be called their natural
    habitat. Why would elves and dwarves necessarily be any different?

Of course, that's not to say they wouldn't, since they aren't human after all,
    but a valid argument can be made either way (especially for the elves, who are
    IMHO close to nature and not just the forest).

Mathieu

JulesMrshn@aol.co

Race...

True, races can be judged in many ways, but I see dwarves as mountain people.
    There is a whole lot of mountain left for the dwarves to expand into. Both
    races know how to manage their food better then humans, so why do they need
    the expansion. PLus both races are not the reabits that humans are, so land
    expansion is not that important.

Downloads
    Uploads

Race...

> I don't know of any non-montainous dwarf kingdoms. I know of only one mostly non-forested elf kingdom: Rhuobhe.
    > But, from Ruins of Empire: "The fair folk eventually conceded the plains, the hills, and the coasts on the upstart humans..." They withdrew to the woods because they were more easily defensible from the humans, and yes, because they do prefer forested areas over plains (much like humans tend to prefer plains over forests). But they did settle the non-forested lands, IMHO.

Well, according to RoE, the realm of Rhuobhe is pretty much forested - and
    that's the way I treat that realm (even though it doesn't quite show on
    the map). Even if Rhuobhe wasn't forested, it's ruler is still and
    Awnsheigh and that's enough cause for an exception to me. However, I
    wouldn't be so lenient with terrain restrictions for normal demi-human
    rulers, because most demi-human units should be somewhat rare, IMO.

- the Falcon

Thread Information