Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Its said that beings that exist in Cerilia's 'real world' have an equivalent version in the Shadow World. If the shadow world equivalent to a Cerilian peson were killed would Cerilian version die? Does the Shadow World version perish when the Cerilian version dies?
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't think so, or somewhere in one of the books it would talk about a lot of unexplained deaths.
    Cattle die and kinsmen die,
    thyself too soon must die,
    but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
    fair fame of one who has earned.
    HAVAMAL

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Or you could use Rich Baker's version of the SW (as set out in The Shadow Stone) as a dark, empty realm not filled with anyone in particular.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    According to Bloodspawn a seelie comes into being for each elf that is born. My general theory is that the Shadow World is a parasite that draws its base reality from the BR world. If the Seeming is not guided by a skilled force like the Queen of the Seelie Court or the Cold Rider, then it taps into the real world for inspiration. The Seeming maps the dreams of mortals or simply tries to copy the real world when it lacks any other direction. Thoughts?
    Lee Vroman

"This is an adventure, damn it! I demand financial rewards for acts of homicide!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like that concept of the Shadow World copying, craving for Cerilia... It could lead to interesting developments. Is the place semi-conscious? What does it hunger after? Reality?
    Then the idea of intelligent beings born of the SW but possessing true intelligence being able to order it as they like (as in Bloodspawn) sounds nice. Would they have to fight the shadow world itself and impose their vision of it against its chaos and hunger? (I'm probably repeating what was already in the book but I haven't read it for a while)
    What is the role of the Cold Rider?
    How do the Seelie Courts interact with/react to Cerilia?
    Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said: `one CAN'T believe impossible things.'
    `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast'

-- "Through the Looking Glass", Lewis Caroll

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Seelie Court and its counterpart the Unseelie Court interact with Cerelia very rarely if it all as they are deeply tied to the shadow world. Of course a DM could expand their roles. It is possible for heroes of Cerelia to go there but they would not be allowed to remember their journey. (as outlined in Bloodspawn(BS))

Again, I draw upon the BS supplement for inspiration. The BS suggests that Azrai was a God of Chaos and Change before becoming what he is known as today. The Shadow World was his home and its mutable abilities reflected his power over the plane and his godly portfolio. It is possible he is responsible for the creation of the earliest races of Aebrynis.

How the old god became Azrai is an untold story but as the change occurred so did the Shadow World. It became a darker place. Then came Diesmaar and the end of the old gods. When Azrai was destroyed along with the rest of them, much of his essence went to his champions Kriesha and Belinik. The power released also opened rifts to the shadow world as well. I believe Azrai dumped a portion of his power there too. The reason is because he had a champion there as well, that being would become the Cold Rider. During the momentus events of Diesmaar, another war was taking place on the Shadow World. The Queen of the Seelie court realized the corruption of Azrai and battled his shadow minions with her faerie folk for the survival of her people.

When the gods died, the shadow world like Aebrynis was changed forever. What remained of Azrai's essence after his his power was absorbed by his three champions is what drives the shadow world. It is the foundation for the Seeming. It is why it mimics and sucks away at Aebrynis because of Azrai's desire to rule that world is reflected in the Shadow World.

Thoughts and comments?
    Lee Vroman

"This is an adventure, damn it! I demand financial rewards for acts of homicide!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Im not sure I like the idea that Azrai came from the SW... I think i prefer him to be a Cerilian god that 'invaded' the SW and tapped its power, perverting it in the process.
    Other idea... what if it was Cerilia that actually seeped into the SW, forcing its reality on it and its denizens, maddening them in the process? In that case the Seelie courts would have much the same attitiude vs. Cerilians as the elves vs. humans.
    Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said: `one CAN'T believe impossible things.'
    `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast'

-- "Through the Looking Glass", Lewis Caroll

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Lawgiver

Its said that beings that exist in Cerilia's 'real world' have an equivalent version in the Shadow World. If the shadow world equivalent to a Cerilian peson were killed would Cerilian version die? Does the Shadow World version perish when the Cerilian version dies?
    Not based on anything but fantasy, I've always liked to think of that aspect of the Shadow World as being like the King/Straub Territories. There are counterparts in the Shadow World to most of us, though sometimes in Cerilia there is one who is special and without counterpart (or counterfeit as the case may be). If perhaps your counterpart is vanquished, you might suffer a broken toe. Or vica versa, of course. It's a thought I've always wanted to play with in a campaign.
    Just my two spells worth.
    "Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality."
    -Jules de Gaultier

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have always seen the blood of Azrai as perverting everything that it comes in contact with. For my two cents I have always felt that it was Azrai's power that perverted the shadow world into something that was darker then before.

Somewhere I read that the shadow was made of substance without form. There anything is possible and nothing is permanent or stable. I have the understanding that it is infinitely mutable. Explains why shadow magic is so versatile.

If you have ever read the "Nine Princes of Amber" series then you know what I am saying when I mention the comparison of the Shadow World to the Courts of Chaos. The imagery fits for me as do quite a few of the motivations.
    Arlen Blaede-Blademaster
    Regent of Myddjarna
    First Lord of the Giant Downs

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Lawgiver

I believe that the Shadow World version would like to kill the Cerilian person and thus gains more power in the Shadow World. Thus it is actually beneficial to kill the Shadow World version before it kills you.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Thread Information