Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi all,

I've been reading through parts of the playtest rules and I've built up a list of questions. (I also noted a couple of errors, which I've added to the end of this list.) If I've missed anything in the rules that addresses any of these questions, please let me know. If these rules have been superseded by more recent versions, I'd still like to know what the intent of the original rule was (unless it was in error).

Wyvern

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    - William Shakespeare, "Hamlet"

-------------------------------------

General questions

1) Can paladins of Avani be lawful neutral? Do paladins of Nesirie gain bonus spells/day or just bonus spells known from the Sea domain?

Domain questions

2) Does a 0-level holding allow you to bid RP to support or oppose an action?

3) Can you levy a toll on a bridge or highway which you control or which passes through a province you control? If so, what kind of action is required?

4) What kind of action is required to donate money to another regent?

5) Suppose Regent A starts a building project and Regent B agrees to help with construction on the understanding that he'll be compensated. Can Regent B use a Build action to advance construction of the project? If so, can Regent A pay the GB cost, or does Regent B have to pay it with the expectation of being reimbursed?

6) "In order to occupy a province, units loyal to the regent must spend an entire month... occupying key institutions in the province." Does this requirement have to be met prior to occupying the province, or can it be fulfilled in the same month the occupation is performed?

7) Do you gain any benefits from occupying your own provinces besides a temporary law holding and the opportunity to destroy rival holdings? If you have a law holding already in a province you occupy, is its level reduced?

8) The Ceremony action "is often combined with the casting of a Bloodline Investiture realm spell." Does this mean the two can be combined into one standard action?

9) Under Coronation, it says that "any regents that have a seemingly legitimate claim to the domain may bid regency to support or oppose the ceremony." Under Designation it says that "A non-designated regent that claims a domain does not gain any regency until all other claimants are defeated and a Ceremony of Coronation is performed." How do you resolve this apparent contradiction? Can a non-designated regent attempt a Coronation before other claimants are defeated? What counts as a "defeat"?

10) If a law holding contests a temple holding, can other temple holdings support or oppose the action? Can other law holdings?

11) Under Contest Trade Route, it says that "subsequent rule actions could recreate the trade route." Shouldn't that be subsequent Create Trade Route actions?

12) Why can't Regency be spent on Diplomacy actions? Shouldn't a regent with a lot of power and political influence be able to use that power and influence to sway negotiations?

13) The Espionage action says that you can "establish a spy network within a hostile or friendly province." Does this mean you can't do so in unfriendly, indifferent, and helpful provinces?

Realm magic questions

14) A source regent is automatically aware of attempts to create a ley line through their province; are they similarly aware of the destruction of a ley line?

15) What happens to a wizard or sorcerer who's the target of a Bloodline Destruction spell? Do they lose their spellcasting ability?

16) The Bloodline Investiture spell says that "If the target character is already a scion, then the bloodlines are combined in exactly the same manner as if the character with the stronger bloodline had performed bloodtheft on the character with the weaker bloodline." What if the one with the stronger bloodline is the donor?

17) If Battle Bless and Demagogue are Compulsions, shouldn't they be mind-affecting?

18) If Cure Unit requires the ability to turn undead, how can druids cast it? Why is it Evocation instead of Conjuration (Healing)?

19) Can a Death Plague only spread to provinces where the caster has source holdings (or ley lines)? Can it be countered by Bless Land?

20) Why does Honest Dealings have a fixed save DC?

21) What's the duration of an Interdiction spell cast in a province with no rival holdings? Can it "contest" the level of the province? Can you target the holdings of non-realm regents with Interdiction?

22) The Ley Line Ward spell says that "The affected ley lines do not need to be in the same province as the caster, but do need to be connected to the source province." How is it possible to be in the same province as a source connected to a ley line *without* being in the same province as the ley line? Is it possible to cast this spell from the terminus of one ley line to affect another ley line connected to the same origin source?

23) The Scry Province spell says that RP may be spent to oppose the Scry check, "similar to the way in which RP are spent to oppose an Espionage action." But the description of the Espionage action says that no-one can spend RP to support or oppose it. Is one of these in error?

24) Do you have to have a holding in a province to use Scry Province on it?

25) The Stronghold spell indicates that a castle costs 10 GB/level, but the price list for constructing assets in Chapter 5 says 8 GB/level. Which is correct?

26) Several realm spells, such as Battle Seeming and Ley Line Ward, have "Special" saving throws and/or spell resistance, but no details are given in the spell description. What does this mean?

Blood ability questions

27) Does the Great version of Charm Aura include the ability to scare opponents?

28) Can you take anyone along with you on a forest walk?

29) What's the point of the Major form of Home Hearkening? Don't regents already have the ability to spend RP to oppose Contest actions against their holdings?

30) Can the Great form of Light of Reason destroy vampires as per the sunburst spell?

31) Under Major Regeneration, it says "If limbs, organs, or senses are lost, they are restored in weeks (30 days, reduced by one day per Constitution point)," but later it says that severed body parts cannot be regenerated and blindness heals in 100 days. Which is correct?

32) How come some bloodlines can have Major form of Major Resistance (Charm) or Major Resistance (Poison), but not the Minor form? Does Major Resistance (Charm) stack with Resistance for the Anduiras bloodline?

33) The Minor form of Mebhaighl Sense has a radius of 300 feet, but the Great form has a diameter of 100 yards. Is one of these an error? The Great form says "If a realm spell has been cast on a province the scion is in (or to which he attunes himself within the time limit above)..." Does this mean he can attune himself to an area he's *not* in? Does it take any time to attune yourself to an area?

34) How do you detect a phial of poison in someone's pocket using Poison Sense?

35) The Strength loss from Wither Touch can be recovered if the victim receives a spell that "cures up to 25 hit points of damage". Does a series of lesser cure spells count? How long does a victim of the Great form have to keep making Fortitude saves?

Errata:

36) The description of the Summon Nature's Army realm spell has an unfinished sentence: "A province can muster a number of units equal"

37) The blood ability Detect Illusion is out of order alphabetically.
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Check the pinned topic at the top of the d20 BRCS playtest comments section. The FAQ section. There you will find links to the latest (sanctioned version of Chap 2) and the latest version of Chap 1 (sanctioned except for the noble class, skills, feats and equipment).

I think you will find the answers to your questions on those chapters there - or at least a different set of questions.

Currently the rest of the BRCS is up for revision.

Currently we are trying to focus on the domain section, but with the recent "problems" with the site things have hit a stall until it gets straightened out.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by irdeggman@Nov 25 2004, 03:20 AM
    There you will find links to the latest (sanctioned version of Chap 2) and the latest version of Chap 1 (sanctioned except for the noble class, skills, feats and equipment).

I think you will find the answers to your questions on those chapters there - or at least a different set of questions.
    I've seen the sanctioned version of Chapter 2, and for the most part, I like the previous version better. At any rate, IIRC, the descriptions of the blood abilities were unchanged, so it does not answer my questions.

This is why I said "If these rules have been superseded by more recent versions, I'd still like to know what the intent of the original rule was (unless it was in error)." Somebody wrote those rules with the intent that people would use them, so I'd like to know how to do that.

I realize you're not doing this for pay, and if you just don't have time to support "outdated" versions of the rules, that's your prerogative. But unless there are actual errata involved which have been/will be corrected in the newer versions, telling me that I need to "upgrade" to get my questions answered feels slightly insulting.

Wyvern

Downloads
    Uploads
    Please, don't feel insulted; while the rules may seem confusing, I think its best you understand what was meant by that phrase: the rules are explained to the best of these members' ability in the chapter you just checked; have you considered how awkward would it feel to ask them to explain something they already have?

I believe that, if you take your time and reread the rules the rules will be rather clear.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by RaspK_FOG@Nov 25 2004, 09:15 AM
    Please, don't feel insulted; while the rules may seem confusing, I think its best you understand what was meant by that phrase: the rules are explained to the best of these members' ability in the chapter you just checked; have you considered how awkward would it feel to ask them to explain something they already have?

I believe that, if you take your time and reread the rules the rules will be rather clear.
    I've already read the rules fairly carefully; twice, in the case of the domain actions rules. If I asked a question it's because the answer was unclear (at least to me) or simply not covered. In some cases two different statements appeared to contradict each other. It's possible that in some instances I simply overlooked something; if that's so, I'd be most appreciative if someone could point out what I missed.

Again, I realize that people have better things to do than spend all day answering my trivial questions. But please don't insult my intelligence by telling me that the rules are perfectly clear and I just don't understand them. If someone doesn't understand something you wrote, it's rather egotistical to assume that it must be their fault.

Wyvern

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wyvern,

Believe me no one is intending to insult your intelligence.

First off it wasn't clear that you had read the revisions or had intended to use the playtest document without them. Something I don't recommend for may reasons. For one the playtest was just that a playtest and never intended to be a final version. It was also written using 3.0 rules and not 3.5 - some things are mechanically different now because of this. The scion "templates" in the playtest were awkward and didn't lend for playing a true 1st level campaign.

It is also not know how much of Birthright history you know. Like have you played or read the 2nd ed published material? There, unfortunately, is a lot of history from that material that people (including me) have assumed was previously know and feeds things that were written. We (as a group) are working on rectifying that, but it is a long process.

The BRCS-playtest was intended to be a playtest document, not have all the bugs worked out or continuity complete so consider it a work in progress and not a completed product.

Like WotC no longer supporting 3.0 the same is true here. The revisions are leading to a "sanctioned" final product that is intended to be used. You have the opportunity to be a part of that now and by directing questions/comments to that end instead of simply getting answers a bigger more complete final prduct can be attained.

Having said all of that I'll see what I can put together fo know as far as your specific questions.

1) Can paladins of Avani be lawful neutral? Do paladins of Nesirie gain bonus spells/day or just bonus spells known from the Sea domain?
    Per the playtest (and 2nd ed BR rules) no. Under the revised (and sanctioned part) of chap 1 they must be lawful neutral.

Paladins of Nesire gain “the granted power and bonus domain spells” which means an extra spell (from the sea domain) just like a cleric does.

Yes

3) Can you levy a toll on a bridge or highway which you control or which passes through a province you control? If so, what kind of action is required?
    Yes – it would be a decree. Now enforcing the toll could easily entail troop movement, or keeping troops in the province to enforce the toll.

It depends on what is being done. If it is part of a vassalage agreement – follow those rules,

5) Suppose Regent A starts a building project and Regent B agrees to help with construction on the understanding that he'll be compensated. Can Regent B use a Build action to advance construction of the project? If so, can Regent A pay the GB cost, or does Regent B have to pay it with the expectation of being reimbursed?
    No, the regent in charge of construction expends the action. This would be similar to the 3.5 rules on creating magic items when more than one caster are combining their assets to create an item – one of them is the creator and that one sets the caster level, etc. for the creation. The money can be exchanged in any manner agreed upon and at any time prior to, during, or after construction as agreed to.

7) Do you gain any benefits from occupying your own provinces besides a temporary law holding and the opportunity to destroy rival holdings? If you have a law holding already in a province you occupy, is its level reduced?
    No, other than the potential lowering of domain attitude.

16) The Bloodline Investiture spell says that "If the target character is already a scion, then the bloodlines are combined in exactly the same manner as if the character with the stronger bloodline had performed bloodtheft on the character with the weaker bloodline." What if the one with the stronger bloodline is the donor?
    The recipient gains bloodline following the formula of a scion with a stronger bloodline performing bloodtheft on one with a weaker bloodline. Note that bloodtheft has changed with the revision of Chap 2, so this spell requires another look.

22) The Ley Line Ward spell says that "The affected ley lines do not need to be in the same province as the caster, but do need to be connected to the source province." How is it possible to be in the same province as a source connected to a ley line *without* being in the same province as the ley line? Is it possible to cast this spell from the terminus of one ley line to affect another ley line connected to the same origin source?

Ley lines can be linked to each other and that is what this is referring to. So the spell can be cast through a ley line link (or chain).

28) Can you take anyone along with you on a forest walk?
    No. The blood ability description doesn't say you can.

29) What's the point of the Major form of Home Hearkening? Don't regents already have the ability to spend RP to oppose Contest actions against their holdings?
    It wasn't refering to contest actions, but to responding to threats - check out the random events issues under domain actions.

30) Can the Great form of Light of Reason destroy vampires as per the sunburst spell?
    No it is not a sunburst spell, it deals the damage specified. But it does count as sunlight per the weakness description for vampires in the MM.

31) Under Major Regeneration, it says "If limbs, organs, or senses are lost, they are restored in weeks (30 days, reduced by one day per Constitution point)," but later it says that severed body parts cannot be regenerated and blindness heals in 100 days. Which is correct?
    It should be handled exactly like the regeneration ability from the MM, with the things listed specifically in the blood ability description as being those that bypass the regeneration. Severed body parts (not reattached) whither and die – that was what was meant.

32) How come some bloodlines can have Major form of Major Resistance (Charm) or Major Resistance (Poison), but not the Minor form? Does Major Resistance (Charm) stack with Resistance for the Anduiras bloodline?

This was because of the power of the blood ability in question. Some are too powerful to grant at minor. This also follows the 2nd ed progression pretty close in most aspects. Since the bonuses are no name bonuses they stack, unless specified otherwise.

33) The Minor form of Mebhaighl Sense has a radius of 300 feet, but the Great form has a diameter of 100 yards. Is one of these an error? The Great form says "If a realm spell has been cast on a province the scion is in (or to which he attunes himself within the time limit above)..." Does this mean he can attune himself to an area he's *not* in? Does it take any time to attune yourself to an area?
    To activate a blood ability requires a standard action unless specified otherwise. In this case there is no alternate time specified so it takes a standard action. The scion must be at the center of the area he is attuning himself to, that is why there is a radius (from the scion) specified. The great ability is not a persistent effect so it only lasts for that use. Remember the information is gained on realm spells cast in the past.

I have to look at the distances again – this could be an editorial with the great effect being 1000 yards vice 100 yards.

34) How do you detect a phial of poison in someone's pocket using Poison Sense?
    The same way the spell detect poison would detect it.

35) The Strength loss from Wither Touch can be recovered if the victim receives a spell that "cures up to 25 hit points of damage". Does a series of lesser cure spells count? How long does a victim of the Great form have to keep making Fortitude saves?
    No, the cure has to come from a single source. That is why it says a spell not spells. The afflicted must continue to make saving throws until the conditions specified to neutralize it are met (see the spell or amputation actions specified for major effect).
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Wyvern
    my english isn't good but, i 've tryed to answer some of your questions

edit : irdeggman havealready answer, but i've not see this post before
    it's a long, very long post......

Originally posted by Wyvern+Nov 22 2004, 11:48 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Wyvern &#064; Nov 22 2004, 11:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    1) Can paladins of Avani be lawful neutral?
    [/b]

paladin must be the alignement of his patron deity
    Haelyn -> lawful good
    Avani -> Lawful neutral
    Cuiraécen -> Chaotic Good
    Nesirie -> Neutral good
    Moradin -> Lawful Good
    paladin of Avani is Lawful neutral ( and as is&#39;t ggod alignement and not evil..at the start of classe, he must be choose for the smite evil or smite good, but the choose is irreversible )

A paladin more specific for theses deity ( deity there are not LB ) it&#39;s for me a good idea

Originally posted by Wyvern@Nov 22 2004, 11:48 AM

1 bis) Do paladins of Nesirie gain bonus spells/day or just bonus spells known from the Sea domain?
    paladin of nesirie extend his list of spell by spell of sea&#39;s domain

Why not ? it&#39;s a holding no ?

a decree action.....

for me is a decree action
    in consequence, each donate is decrease of one GB

5) Suppose Regent A starts a building project and Regent B agrees to help with construction on the understanding that he&#39;ll be compensated. Can Regent B use a Build action to advance construction of the project? If so, can Regent A pay the GB cost, or does Regent B have to pay it with the expectation of being reimbursed?
    there are only one manager, but money can from any source. Regent B have to pay it with the expectation of being reimbursed ( or he can cash money before the build... )

6) "In order to occupy a province, units loyal to the regent must spend an entire month... occupying key institutions in the province." Does this requirement have to be met prior to occupying the province, or can it be fulfilled in the same month the occupation is performed?
    the same month, but "if a unit moves or is involved in any battle then it may not occupy the province" ( page 106)

7) Do you gain any benefits from occupying your own provinces besides a temporary law holding and the opportunity to destroy rival holdings?
    isn&#39;t a good idea because, attitude of domain decrease ( -10 for an occupy province ) --&#62; rebellion..and so on... and not collect regency and maybe losses of regency ( minor losses page 101)
    now it&#39;s a choose....

7 bis) If you have a law holding already in a province you occupy, is its level reduced?
    I would have tendency has to say yes level is reduced

<!--QuoteBegin-Wyvern
    @Nov 22 2004, 11:48 AM

8) The Ceremony action "is often combined with the casting of a Bloodline Investiture realm spell." Does this mean the two can be combined into one standard action?
    [/quote]
    yes and no....this spell can be cast/prepare( without the fnal stages, see the spell page 139) before the ceremony ( of designation ) in this case yes, otherwise no, there 2 standards actions

that&#39;s all for day....

Downloads
    Uploads
    First off, thanks to both of you for taking the time to answer my questions. I do appreciate it.

To address some of the things *you* mentioned:

It was also written using 3.0 rules and not 3.5 - some things are mechanically different now because of this.

I don&#39;t consider this a major issue; I&#39;m quite capable of converting what few things need converting.

The scion "templates" in the playtest were awkward and didn&#39;t lend for playing a true 1st level campaign.

Why did people think they were awkward? They didn&#39;t seem so to me, though I haven&#39;t actually tried them out in play. I don&#39;t think it&#39;s necessary for every campaign to start at at first level, and even if you do, it just means you can&#39;t start out as a major scion - which is still the case in the revised rules.

It is also not know how much of Birthright history you know. Like have you played or read the 2nd ed published material?

I don&#39;t own, nor have I read, the original boxed-set rules. However, I do have a general familarity with the setting from reading the "Introduction to Birthright" and "Official Playtest Notes" available on the WotC website. I&#39;ve also played Gorgon&#39;s Alliance and read several previous 3.0 conversions.

The BRCS-playtest was intended to be a playtest document, not have all the bugs worked out or continuity complete so consider it a work in progress and not a completed product.

That&#39;s one reason I&#39;m asking these questions; because they&#39;re things that need to be worked out and/or explained better in any future versions.

You have the opportunity to be a part of that now and by directing questions/comments to that end instead of simply getting answers a bigger more complete final product can be attained.

Unfortunately, I don&#39;t have the time to participate in every forum I&#39;d like to, and BR.net is not high on my priority list because I don&#39;t expect to have the opportunity to actually use the rules in the foreseeable future.

Now, a few of your answers are still not quite clear:

No to which question? I assume it&#39;s the second, since lowering domain attitude is not a benefit. Am I right?

No it is not a sunburst spell, it deals the damage specified. But it does count as sunlight per the weakness description for vampires in the MM.

That&#39;s what I meant by "as per the sunburst spell". IOW, does it have a greater effect on vampires than on other undead, the way the sunburst spell does? I take it the answer is yes? Or are you saying it&#39;s not like sunburst because it doesn&#39;t destroy vampires instantly?

It should be handled exactly like the regeneration ability from the MM, with the things listed specifically in the blood ability description as being those that bypass the regeneration. Severed body parts (not reattached) whither and die – that was what was meant.

If the "(30 days, reduced by one day per Constitution point)" doesn&#39;t refer to regrowing limbs or to healing blindness, what does it refer to?

This was because of the power of the blood ability in question. Some are too powerful to grant at minor.

I think you misconstrued my question. I&#39;m not asking why there&#39;s no Minor form of Major Resistance (non-magical attacks). I&#39;m asking why scions of Brenna, for example, can have the Minor or Major form of MR (Charm), but scions of Basaïa or Masela can only have the Major form. (And scions of Anduiras can only have the Major form of MR (Poison).)

33) The Minor form of Mebhaighl Sense has a radius of 300 feet, but the Great form has a diameter of 100 yards. Is one of these an error?
    I have to look at the distances again – this could be an editorial with the great effect being 1000 yards vice 100 yards.

The standard in 3.x is to measure distances in feet instead of yards, and to measure radii instead of diameters (with the exception of a few specific area-effect spells). Therefore, instead of a diameter of 100 (or 1000) yards, it should be a radius of 150 (or 1500) feet.

By the way, you can disregard question 10. Somehow I had it in my head that holdings could only support or oppose actions performed by other holdings of the same type, but looking again I see that isn&#39;t so. I must have read it in one of the older conversions.

Wyvern
    &quot;There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.&quot;
    - William Shakespeare, &quot;Hamlet&quot;

Downloads
    Uploads
    The scion "templates" in the playtest were awkward and didn&#39;t lend for playing a true 1st level campaign.

Why did people think they were awkward? They didn&#39;t seem so to me, though I haven&#39;t actually tried them out in play. I don&#39;t think it&#39;s necessary for every campaign to start at at first level, and even if you do, it just means you can&#39;t start out as a major scion - which is still the case in the revised rules.
    Well in 3.0 it was actually illegal to do what was written. The 3.0 DMG stated that all characters must start at the same level – basically it an ECL’d race was allowed than the other characters must be able to start at equivalent level. The templates gave an ECL automatically and not graduated.

The level progression (which was first outlined in Savage Species for LA races) allows for all characters to be roughly equal at 1st level (or other levels as decided by the DM).

In the revised rules a character can start out with a major bloodline (since that is scion level 1) at first level. In the playtest it was actually a 2nd level character, since the major bloodline carried a +1 LA. Mechanically it is much easier to follow using class levels.

No to which question? I assume it&#39;s the second, since lowering domain attitude is not a benefit. Am I right?

I was referring to the first part actually. The only benefit a regent gains by occupying his own province is the ability to destroy another regent’s holdings. A regent’s own holdings are not affected by his own occupation only the domain’s attitude.

[quote]30) Can the Great form of Light of Reason destroy vampires as per the sunburst spell?

That&#39;s what I meant by "as per the sunburst spell". IOW, does it have a greater effect on vampires than on other undead, the way the sunburst spell does? I take it the answer is yes? Or are you saying it&#39;s not like sunburst because it doesn&#39;t destroy vampires instantly?[quote]

What I said and meant was that the blood ability has the same affect as sunlight on a creature. Under the vampire’s description (don’t make a reference to a spell not referenced by the blood ability description such as sunburst – looking at the creature description in the MM) it states that “exposing any vampire to direct sunlight disorients it; it can take only a single move action or attack action and is destroyed utterly in the next round if it cannot escape.” This is what would happen, now the sunlight is the effect of an instantaneous burst (i.e., doesn’t last longer that the scion’s action) and hence would really have no extra effect on the vampire in this case. But there may be other creatures (present or future) that have specific susceptibility (or weaknesses) to sunlight in their description that may have other effects which is why vampires weren’t specifically called out.

If the "(30 days, reduced by one day per Constitution point)" doesn&#39;t refer to regrowing limbs or to healing blindness, what does it refer to?

Again, as I said it functions just like the regeneration ability from the MM. That description pretty much states what happens. A severed arm will not regrow into a person (i.e., the arm itself whithers and dies), but a character can reattach his severed arm or in the case of this blood ability can regrow the arm.

This was because of the power of the blood ability in question. Some are too powerful to grant at minor.

I think you misconstrued my question. I&#39;m not asking why there&#39;s no Minor form of Major Resistance (non-magical attacks). I&#39;m asking why scions of Brenna, for example, can have the Minor or Major form of MR (Charm), but scions of Basaïa or Masela can only have the Major form. (And scions of Anduiras can only have the Major form of MR (Poison).)
    You’ve lost me here. The breakdown from Table 2-4 takes precedence over any text description if there is one. Please make sure you are using the revised Chap 2 here since the tables were redone pretty dramatically (thanks to Osprey) to better balance things out.

33) The Minor form of Mebhaighl Sense has a radius of 300 feet, but the Great form has a diameter of 100 yards. Is one of these an error?

The standard in 3.x is to measure distances in feet instead of yards, and to measure radii instead of diameters (with the exception of a few specific area-effect spells). Therefore, instead of a diameter of 100 (or 1000) yards, it should be a radius of 150 (or 1500) feet.
    The way the original question was phrased it appeared you were commenting on an error in distances and not an editorial error. An editorial would be the inconsistent distance use, since 100 yds equals 300 ft.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well in 3.0 it was actually illegal to do what was written. The 3.0 DMG stated that all characters must start at the same level – basically it an ECL’d race was allowed than the other characters must be able to start at equivalent level.

So start everyone at a level higher than 1st. What&#39;s difficult about that?

In the revised rules a character can start out with a major bloodline (since that is scion level 1) at first level.

Okay, you got me on that one.

What I said and meant was that the blood ability has the same affect as sunlight on a creature.

Except that sunlight doesn&#39;t harm most undead, only vampires. That&#39;s why I referenced the spell, which does affect other kinds of undead. Anyway, I get it now; no need for further elaboration.

Again, as I said it functions just like the regeneration ability from the MM. That description pretty much states what happens. A severed arm will not regrow into a person (i.e., the arm itself whithers and dies), but a character can reattach his severed arm or in the case of this blood ability can regrow the arm.

When I read "cannot regenerate severed body parts" I take it to mean "cannot regrow an arm if it&#39;s cut off", not "severed limbs don&#39;t grow into new individuals". If characters with this ability can grow back severed limbs (as opposed to just reattaching them to the stump), then you need to remove or reword this phrase. Also, there&#39;s still a contradiction between lost "senses" being restored in (30 - Constitution) days, and "eyesight" being restored in 100 days.

You’ve lost me here. The breakdown from Table 2-4 takes precedence over any text description if there is one. Please make sure you are using the revised Chap 2 here since the tables were redone pretty dramatically (thanks to Osprey) to better balance things out.

Okay, I&#39;ve looked at the tables and you&#39;re right, that inconsistency is no longer there. If the tables are correct, then the text is incorrect, so consider this an errata report:

Charm (minor): The scion gains a +4 bonus to saving throws against enchantment spells and spell-like effects. This further conveys a +4 bonus to saving throws made against the Fear blood ability. Derivations: Anduiras, Azrai, Brenna, Reynir.
    Poison (minor): If a scion with this ability is exposed to any type of poison (by gas, venom, poisoned weapon, potion, etc.), he gains a +4 bonus to his saving throw. Derivations: Azrai, Basaïa, Brenna, Masela, Reynir.
    Charm (major): Same as the Minor ability but the saving throw bonus is increased to +6. Derivations: Anduiras, Azrai, Brenna, Masela, Reynir.
    Poison (major): Same as the Minor ability but the saving throw bonus is increased to +6. Derivations: All except Vorynn.

(In the playtest version, both Charm (major) and Poison (major) had "Derivations: All except Vorynn")

The way the original question was phrased it appeared you were commenting on an error in distances and not an editorial error. An editorial would be the inconsistent distance use, since 100 yds equals 300 ft.

I&#39;m not quite sure what you mean by "editorial error" vs. "an error in distances", but a diameter of 100 yards is equal to a radius of 150 ft, not 300 ft.

Wyvern
    &quot;There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.&quot;
    - William Shakespeare, &quot;Hamlet&quot;

Thread Information