Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Kenneth Gauck

Vassalage Arrangements

Gary Foss wrote:
    "If that new regent suddenly gets three actions and he is still the henchman
    of
    the PC then he effectively doubles the PC's amount of actions."

I would rule the lieutenant vassal still has three actions, but they are
    limited to his own realm, he still can perform only one realm action for the
    realm at large. Likewise, he can use his own store of GB's and RP's for his
    own actions, but is limited as per the rules when he acts as a lieutenant.

Most lieutenant's don't have the resources to use all three turns.

For example, lets assume Eluvie Cariele has a problem with Sielwode. So she
    appoints her landrunner (ranger) lieutenant as count of Deepshadow and
    Warden of the North. As count of Deepshaow, the Lt gets 5 RP's (3 for the
    land, 2 for the law), and d4 GB's for taxtion. He is charged with defending
    Deepshadow against all enemies from these resources. As Warden of the North
    he is given additional resources to maintain a unit of knights, and build a
    fortress. Eluvie Cariele often assigns realm actions in the north to her
    Lt, so she can concentarte on the Chimera and Osoerde. The Lt performs the
    Lt action, and has two remaining realm actions based on his megre resources.

It is certainly possible that vassals may grow into allies. IMC, NPC Kurt
    Warkinde gave PC Osmund Skullsplitter (blooded Rjurik Priest of Kirken) some
    GB's and assigned him the mission of starting temples in Kiergard. It
    didn't take long before Osmund's realm was nearly as powerful as Warkinde's.
    The fact that Osmund was a close friend of the Overthane of Baruk-Azhik did
    not hurt.

Kenneth Gauck

JulesMrshn@aol.co

Vassalage Arrangements

Basically vassals are made to circumvent the bloodline limitations. A smaller
    line needs their vassals to grow. Any player that takes all of the GB and the
    RP a vassal generates is plainly stupid. Vassals management is the key to
    growth. They will look after the proviences while the Regent looks after the
    Nation. Its simple management. A good system is for the regent to take 1/2
    the RP and little to no gold. Keep your vassals to a provience. Order them to
    maintain a unit or two for a local garrison. Most vassals will be very loyal.
    Not all vassals are power grubing madmen. They will serve with honor and with
    loyalty, working to protect their local rulerships. Many will not want the
    whole ball of wax. BUT!!!!!! there can always be the one lying in the weeds
    waiting to strike out and make their claims. If every vassal was crooked then
    this system would only be in use for oh about one minute, then disposed of. It
    works so it stays. I try to keep a vassal betrayl to once per campaign.
    Otherwise it gets old, fast... real fast.

Binagran

Vassalage Arrangements

> In case #2, trasnsfers should tend to go both ways. A consistant drain from
    > the vassal to the overlord should produce the kind of resentment that often
    > acompanies a periphery. People like to keep the resources, be they GB's or
    > PR's, working for them at home.
    > To avoid case #3, DM's need to be clear about the motives of the players and
    > clear in his own expression of what is acceptable. After all these are
    > still a grant from vassal to overlord, and if things need attention back
    > home, but the vassal (or overlord) is not concerned about the locals, they
    > should face a divsetiture crisis.

> Kenneth Gauck
    > c558382@earthlink.net

IMO, I don't think that problems should occur to much if the DM uses caution and
    the players are smart. Remember that since the vassalage arrangement is
    voluntary the vassal (or lord) can break it at anytime. This would most
    probably occur when the vassals domain begins to approach the power of his lord
    (or perhaps he's made an alliance with another regent). This makes vassalage
    arrangements kind of dangerous since even the most loyal vassal may succumb to
    power (you know the old saying of "power corrupts".) Why do you think the
    Anuirean Empire fell apart after the death of Roele, all those petty lords
    suddenly had complete control over their domains and no Emperor to tell them
    otherwise.

Even a solution of having more vassals of smaller realms (holdings, temples,
    whatever) has the problem of reducing the lord's power base. At some stage it
    is easier to simply keep control of it in your own hands, and press on
    regardless.

Just my 2 (insert currency here)

Binagran

DKEvermore@aol.co

Vassalage Arrangements

In a message dated 1/3/99 1:53:48 PM Central Standard Time,
    sergil@nycap.rr.com writes:

> Can a vassalage arrangement allow a regent to collect more RP than his
    > bloodline strength. E.g., if a regent has a bloodline of 20, but his
    > domain generates 40 RP every domain turn, can he farm out half of the
    > domain to a vassal and then require the vassal to return 10 points each
    > turn, thus allowing him to collect 30 RP?
    >
    This is a subject of some past debate and it really boils down to what you
    want to do in your campaign.

For myself, I choose to allow Vassalage RP collection to occur AFTER normal
    collection (with the usual Bloodline/Domain limitation), thus allowing a total
    RP collection higher than the Bloodline points in my campaign. It works well
    as a balance in pitting alliances of small domains against a powerful single
    domain and keep the challenge interesting.

By the way, if any of you have been following my Fuzion implementation of the
    Birthright setting, I'd like to now announce the completion of the testing
    phase of my Fantasy Fuzion CW module. If you own Creation Workshop by
    HeroGames and would like to create (or automatically generate!) characters
    ready for Birthright download it by following the links off my main page at:

http://members.aol.com/DKEvermore/GiantDowns.html

later!
    Dustin Evermore

Downloads
    Uploads

Vassalage Arrangements

>I think this depends on how the DM wants to handle things. Personally, I think
    >we should (and I do) differentiate between a vassal, a lieutenant-vassal, a
    >lieutenant, a henchman, a follower and a hireling.
    >
    Not to forget, of course, the vassalouie, an unique type of vassal created by James Ruhland aka Porphy (anyone still remember him? :) The vassalouie is technically a vassal regent who has holdings. However, he donates *all* his collected RPs and GBs to the liege, who in turn maintains the vassalouie's holdings together with his own. The vassalouie also gets three domain actions per turn like any regent, and he uses the liege's RP and GB for those. Very effective and deadly... I believe the Gorgon makes arrangements like this with his vassals :)

Aleksei Andrievski
    aka Solmyr, Archmage of the Azure Star
    aka Azure Star Dragon
    solmyr@kolumbus.fi
    http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Fortress/2198/index.html

RocksHope@aol.co

Vassalage Arrangements

Two regents rule domains, both collect RPs. If one swears vassalage both
    still collect their full RPs. If the one regent then gives some of his RPs to
    his overlord, that's completely legal, and can even be done as part of the
    vassalage agreement.

Why would swearing vassalage cause one person to NOT collect RP any more?

Then again, I've used a home optional rule that RPs cannot be traded/given
    away etc, in which case I don't allow vassals to give RPs to their overlords
    either, but you shouldn't allow two regents to trade RPs, and then NOT allow a
    vassal to give RPs to his overlord.

Gary V. Foss

Vassalage Arrangements

Solmyr of the Azure Star wrote:

> >I think this depends on how the DM wants to handle things. Personally, I think
    > >we should (and I do) differentiate between a vassal, a lieutenant-vassal, a
    > >lieutenant, a henchman, a follower and a hireling.
    > >
    > Not to forget, of course, the vassalouie, an unique type of vassal created by James Ruhland aka Porphy (anyone still remember him? :) The vassalouie is technically a vassal regent who has holdings. However, he donates *all* his collected RPs and GBs to the liege, who in turn maintains the vassalouie's holdings together with his own. The vassalouie also gets three domain actions per turn like any regent, and he uses the liege's RP and GB for those. Very effective and deadly... I believe the Gorgon makes arrangements like this with his vassals :)

Youch! That's the exact kind of thing I'd like to try and prevent.... It sounds like that could throw the game out of whack pretty quickly.

In my experience the "Collective Rule" type of BR campaign is usually the most powerful and effective for players. If you have four PCs they get up to sixteen actions per domain turn, and that can be pretty hard to combat. NPCs have to band together to combat them, which can be a little difficult to justify in some cases. Aside from that, it becomes a logistical nightmare to keep track of all the actions of the NPCs fighting the PCs.

If you can add Louie/vassal/regents into that mix you can effectively double, triple or quadruple the number of actions available to the PCs. That's a pretty frightening proposition....

Gary

RocksHope@aol.co

Vassalage Arrangements

In a message dated 1/4/99, 2:50:50 PM, birthright@mpgn.com writes:

Binagran

Vassalage Arrangements

JulesMrshn@aol.com wrote:

> Basically vassals are made to circumvent the bloodline limitations. A smaller
    > line needs their vassals to grow. Any player that takes all of the GB and the
    > RP a vassal generates is plainly stupid. Vassals management is the key to
    > growth. They will look after the proviences while the Regent looks after the
    > Nation. Its simple management. A good system is for the regent to take 1/2
    > the RP and little to no gold. Keep your vassals to a provience. Order them to
    > maintain a unit or two for a local garrison. Most vassals will be very loyal.
    > Not all vassals are power grubing madmen. They will serve with honor and with
    > loyalty, working to protect their local rulerships. Many will not want the
    > whole ball of wax. BUT!!!!!! there can always be the one lying in the weeds
    > waiting to strike out and make their claims. If every vassal was crooked then
    > this system would only be in use for oh about one minute, then disposed of. It
    > works so it stays. I try to keep a vassal betrayl to once per campaign.
    > Otherwise it gets old, fast... real fast.

I agree with you whole-heartedly there. But don't you think once-per campaign is
    a little much (you players will come to expect a betrayal and look to their men to
    see who it might possibly be.)

In any case, IMO I would think that limiting them to little or no GB might create
    some kind of division between the vassal and the regent. You have this poor
    vassal trying to do his best to keep the border free of enemies, and all the
    regent does is take his GB and RP, supply a unit or two free of charge (which I
    imagine are probably more loyal to the regent than the vassal), and then forget
    about the vassal until they're needed. This is going to annoy even the most loyal
    vassal IMO.

A vassal needs to keep some of the income (RP and GB) of his holdings for him to
    stay loyal. At least 50% of both would be my guess. This allows him to perform
    actions using his own income, and even expand his rulership, while still keeping
    true to his regent.

Binagran

Thread Information