Thread: A Question

A Question

> I got to say I love that idea, too. The Gorgon is the main villian, so it is
    > very Tolkienish a feeling if the PCs are hindered by the idea that the Gorgan
    > is an almost omnitient being.

Agreed. I've never used the Gorgon as a 'direct' villain in any of
    the campaigns I've run. None of my players have never had to go up
    against him or his forces, with the exception of a couple of agents
    and whatnot whose activities formed a very small sub-plot to the main
    event. However, by keeping him as an omnipresent, omnipotent threat
    lurking in the shadows, coupled with the couple of occasions when PCs
    have run into an agent of his - despite the fact that his activities
    were not even directed at them - has ensured that whenever something
    big and bad seems to be going on (last time it was a mysterious force
    of 'mercenaries' up to no good), they always look towards the
    Gorgon's Crown with no small amount of paranoia.

Just because he's not done it so far, doesn't mean the Gorgon's not
    out to get you...

John.

"Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then
    the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a
    different universe."
    "And now you kill the lambs," whispered Dardalion.
    "No, priest. No one pays for lambs."
    - David Gemmel, Waylander

Whalejudge@aol.co

A Question

Considering the terror the Gorgon inspires, I'd say that at least some of the
    nations would agree. I imagine the Chamberlain would agree, and following him
    Avanil and Boeruine, bringing in their vassals and allies.
    Mhoried would be happy for the aid, as their armies couldn't stand against the
    Gorgon alone. The Gorgon has THIRTY units listed in his army, would probably
    raise more before invading, and has the armies of Kiergard, Markazor, and Mur-
    Kilad at his disposal.

Gary V. Foss

A Question

Shadewulf@aol.com wrote:

> The question is as follows: would Mhoried actually have accepted such aid, and
    > would they honored it? Finally, would the majority of other states (the npc
    > ones) have done this "UN" thing as well?

Well, it depends.... The Mhor is an independant guy, whose primary motivation
    seems to be the freedom of his people. I think he would have accepted the deal
    you described because it would not have done much to lessen the freedom of his
    people, he is smart enough to recognize that an invastion by the Gorgon would be a
    much more serious threat to freedom than the loose alliance presented.

As for the other states.... I suppose that would depend on each individual
    nation. I can see most of the good aligned states doing it. Ghoere probably
    would in order to gain the kind of forum for himself that he doesn't seem to get
    when on the stage with Boeruine and Avan. He'd also probably be a huge pain in
    the ass, which would be a fun role-playing situation.... Having either Boeruine
    or Avan in the UN would probably also cause a lot of problems for similar
    reasons. They would assume that they could dominate the situation and that would
    bug the less powerful nations. Plus, they'd probably turn any situation into a
    tug of war between the two of them, which would bog down any activities of the
    organization. States allied to either of these guys would follow the lead of
    their liege.

Tuarhieval might get involved, but I'm inclined to think they would rather have
    Dhoesone be in the UN and speak through them. Sielwode and Baruk Azhik would stay
    out. Osoerde would probably get involved if Raenech (SP?) thought it would give
    his government legitamacy over the upstart William Moergan, but would prefer to
    stay out. Medoere, Ilien and Endier would probably be happy to be involved,
    because such an organization would seem to favor the little guy.

I've always assumed that the reason Elinie is not more active in Anuire is because
    the Patriarch is old and conservative. His children might push for involvement,
    however, so he might sign up just so they can have something to do. Diemed would
    get involved if for no other reason than to counter Medoere. Tuornen and Alamie
    for the same reasons. Thurazor might want to sign up and everyone would go "Oh,
    man. What were we thinking? Now we have to spend time dealing with those
    guys...."

I've always played that Aerenwe is even more independant than Mhoried, so even if
    they did get involved they would probably back out at the least sign that they
    would lose some of their autonomy. Roesone would be a hawk in the UN, usually
    wanting to solve problems with military force.

It's probably important to note that unlike my pen & paper game (in which none of
    the characters are landed regents) whenever I've gotten into a PBeM, the players
    all seem to scramble after alliances immediately. Getting the whole map to agree
    to anything would be nearly impossible, as the players have broken themselves up
    into large blocks of political groups. Forming a UN under such circumstances
    would be difficult indeed.

Gary

=?iso-8859-1?Q?=D8yvind_

A Question

On Sun, 18 Oct 1998 Shadewulf@aol.com wrote:

> Greetings
    >
    > I have a BR question for the members of the list here. Perhaps this will help
    > enlighten me.
    >
    > Some time ago, I was the gm for a BR campaign, a mixture of the rpg/wargame
    > thing, even to the extent of using miniatures to fight the battles. It was an
    > intense campaign, as there were serious gamers involved. There were seven
    > players, and they were centered in the Anuire region. They were all regents
    > (yes, it was an involved, time-consuming campaign).
    >
    > The states that were pc ruled were the following: Brosengae, Endier, Medoere,
    > Roesone, Taeghas, Talinie, and Tuornen. They had all the proper supplies to
    > work as regents, including the appropriate supplements and gm-supplied info.
    > There was one general session with everyone, and two individual (re: private)
    > sessions as well. Then we started.
    >
    > Anyway, as the game progressed, one player did something out of the ordinary
    > (at least in my experience). He realized that the state of Mhoried was in
    > serious trouble from attack by the Gorgon's forces AND "allies." In this
    > situation, Mhoried was turning out to be crucial, as Ghoere was busy with
    > Roesone, and Elinie was being threatened by the southern states that bordered
    > it. Mhoried was standing alone as a buffer against an invasion force the
    > player was sure that would come.
    >
    > So the player made a proposal to all the other regents of Anuire (after
    > checking with Mhoried's ruler first, and receiving approval). He arranged a
    > diplomatic conference to happen in Mhoried, and invited all the regents (or
    > their duly chosen representatives) to come to Mhoried and see the situation as
    > it stood then, and realize the danger Anuire was in. He foresaw that if
    > Mhoried fell, and with Ghoere going after Roesone as it was, that an invading
    > force could reach Endier even! Note that the player was the ruler of Tuornen.
    >
    > His plan was that if the other regents could see the possible, and IHO, likely
    > danger, that they would be more willing to help one another, and specifically
    > Mhoried. The assistance could be in trade, money, or troops (they would be
    > under Mhoried's command).
    >
    > After MUCH time and effort, the ruler of Tuornen managed to convince most of
    > the other regents that he was right. So they supported the conference and
    > declared that there would be multi-state assitance given to Mhoried, In return
    > for Mhoried's pledge to stoutl;y defend its sovereign area with this aid
    > (which Mhoried did, of course, as they wanted to survive). This did work for
    > some time, as the player was right, an invasion was planned and did occur.
    > Unfortunately for them, it was a two-sided, not one, attack.
    >
    > Anyway, the players of this scenario were talking with me about this
    > particular part of the campaign some weeks ago. Several questioned my
    > allowance of the "United Nations" (their words) to happen, especially given
    > the cg alignment of the Mhoried state. (The alignment thing pops up again,
    > sorry).
    > I ruled that way because I saw the people and rulers of Mhoried as an
    > independent-minded people who, although proud, were not stupid. They were
    > hard-pressed, outnumbered, and essentially alone. They needed the aid
    > desperately, and I saw them accepting it reluctantly, but still going with it.
    >
    > The question is as follows: would Mhoried actually have accepted such aid, and
    > would they honored it? Finally, would the majority of other states (the npc
    > ones) have done this "UN" thing as well?
    >
    > I am thinking I did alright in this, with some problems, but nothing major. Of
    > the seven players, three agree with me, one is unconcerned, and the other
    > three disagree. I have decided to ask the members of the list and see what
    > they have to say. If anyone has an opinion they wish to voice.
    >
    > Til Later and enjoy what you can.
    >
    > Shadewulf.
    > ************************************************** *************************
    > > 'unsubscribe birthright' as the body of the message.
    >
    Well, I think the idea of this United Nations is sensible. Mhoried would
    be more than thankful given a chance to survive the onslought of the
    Gorgon.

The United Nations idea is not as stupid either. Many of the 'minor' lands
    like Endier and Medoere, should see a way to make themselves seen without
    flashing out with enourmous troops.
    And who knows. It might be the foundation of the Second Empire (sorry, had
    to).

In my first campaign the buffer ability of Mhoried was recognized
    emmediatly, and hence the Mhor was called Lord Buffer (when he wasn't
    listening, of course).

I do not think that you should let an chaotic alignment make the Mhor an
    automatic dealbreaker. If the deal serves him well, then he will stick to
    it (there is an INT stat for seeing if he does stupis things).

Oyvind Gronnesby

Downloads
    Uploads

A Question

I see no problem with the UN idea in rpinciple, given that the Gorgon
    would be #1 on everyone's threat list. The question of specific contributions
    and leadership would be the sticky ones. I would say that Tuornen's regent
    had a bit of genius in suggesting up front that The Mhor would be the Allied
    commander. No one could really argue (effectively, that is) that the country
    on the front line should not lead the coalition.
    As a DM, I would certainly be willing to let them try, but I would have
    the Gorgon's agents do everything possible (bribe, threat, raising suspicion,
    assassination) to pick apart such an alliance. Ghoere, Boeruine or Avanil, as
    NPCs, should be jockeying for co-leadership in such a coalition, but none
    would be willing to let the others take over. The sidhe nations would be
    least likely to join in, as the Sielwode would stay out of anything, and
    Tuarhievel would be more concerned that the Gorgon would be going through them
    (Dhoesone and maybe Boeruine would back that argument).
    Going back to the Gorgon, probably one of the reasons he is so powerful is
    that he is facing a fractured Empire (or its corpse). He can pick at it, take
    pieces as he desires (Kiergard being the first). If an alliance forms against
    him, he can concentrate on breaking it up, leaving his other borders unguarded
    for a while. IMC (Giantdowns), he will not be a factor unless the players do
    assume regency, and try to build alliances with Dhoesone, Tuarhievel, et al.
    Heck, I want to know why he hasn't taken more by now!

Just my 2cp,
    Lee.

Bernardo79@aol.co

A Question

In a message dated 10/20/98 12:48:04 AM Central Daylight Time,
    LeeHa1854@AOL.COM writes:

Gary V. Foss

A Question

Bernardo79@aol.com wrote:

> The gorgan is a being that relies on intirque and subterfuge, not blatent
    > attacks. The reason he hasn't taken more land, is because if e did that it
    > would be more likely to unit Anuire against him. As long as they stay
    > splintered he can wait. The Gorgon is in no rush, he is building his treasury
    > and knowledge as generations pass. He is like Rhoube in that he is waiting
    > until the right time to strike.

I've always liked the idea that the reason the Gorgon doesn't just take over the
    whole of Anuire (or the rest of Cerilia) is because he wants to keep the continent
    well seeded with bloodlines for him to harvest every generation or so. The Gorgon
    goes on his rampages in order to reep the harvest of humanity and commit acts of
    bloodtheft on them. I like to foster the idea that the Gorgon is behind every
    evil act in my campaign so that the players get a feeling of paranoia and
    manipulation by a sinister puppetmaster pulling the strings from his rocky castle
    in the north.

In this scenario, the Gorgon is not biding his time at all. He is already a sort
    of shadow emporer, controlling all the action, but allowing his puppets the
    illusion of control over their own destinies. It is rare than anyone recognizes
    their own vulnerability enough to try to deal with the Gorgon, and those who do
    are dealt with quickly and brutally. Michael Roele did, and look what happened to
    him. This undercurrent can really add to the sinister feeling of a gaming session
    and heighten tension nicely.

Gary

Bernardo79@aol.co

A Question

In a message dated 10/20/98 2:24:15 PM Central Daylight Time,
    GeeMan@linkline.com writes:

>

I got to say I love that idea, too. The Gorgon is the main villian, so it is
    very Tolkienish a feeling if the PCs are hindered by the idea that the Gorgan
    is an almost omnitient being.

Bernie

Thread Information