Downloads
    Uploads
    We all know that a Regent cannot spend RP to increase the chance of success on this action, *but* no mention is made of using GB to influence the result. Is it likewise banned, or does the spending of hard coin in infrastructure and inducements actually work to assist the Regent?
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion -- and usually easier."

- R. A. Heinlien, from The Collected works of Lazarus Long

Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally, I like to keep Rule Province a "hands off" domain action in terms of both RP and GB. mainly this is for the sake of game balance and keeping provinces from being ruled too easily.

However, in my campaign I've created a running house rule that regents may spend GB anytime they spend RP to support or oppose an action; this is on a 1-for-1 basis, and the GB spent may not exceed the RP spent. Thus, a regent could spend 10 RP to Contest a rival holding, and an additional 10 GB, for a total of +20 to the Contest check, in addition to any skill synergy bonuses involved. The defending regent could likewise spend 10 RP + 10 GB to subtract 20 from the check, or 15 RP + 15 GB for a total of -30 to the check. Pretty simple and straightforward I think.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As I mentioned in a different thread I think the Rule Province action suffers from being too powerful. The result is artifical restrictions on how to influence the action to try get some semblance of power. Instead of making it horribly difficult for the action to succeed, which makes the realm to much at the mercy of sheer luck, I think increasing the cost of the action might be a reasonable solution. This does of course not remove the issue of the unrealistic population growth, but it can go some way to balance the benefit vs. cost issue. While I have not tried this myself, increasing the cost to 3GB/province level could be a possible solution.

Another option that works is to make ruling the province incredibly expensive, but to allow the provinces to grow naturally. This tends to make the increase of province levels much more slow, but removes the problem of sudden increases.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Osprey schrieb:

>This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.

> You can view the entire thread at:

> http://www.birthright.net/forums/ind...ST&f=36&t=2782

>

> Osprey wrote:

> Personally, I like to keep Rule Province a "hands off" domain action in terms of both RP and GB. mainly this is for the sake of game balance and keeping provinces from being ruled too easily.However, in my campaign I`ve created a running house rule that regents may spend GB anytime they spend RP to support or oppose an action; this is on a 1-for-1 basis, and the GB spent may not exceed the RP spent. Thus, a regent could spend 10 RP to Contest a rival holding, and an additional 10 GB, for a total of +20 to the Contest check, in addition to any skill synergy bonuses involved. The defending regent could likewise spend 10 RP + 10 GB to subtract 20 from the check, or 15 RP + 15 GB for a total of -30 to the check. Pretty simple and straightforward I think.

>

Isn´t that unbalanced in case of guilders or wizards? The first I would

expect to have more GB income than RP and the latter to have more RP

than GB if any. If a regent can spend only both together then these two

regents would suffer.

bye

Michael

Downloads
    Uploads
    Isn´t that unbalanced in case of guilders or wizards? The first I would
    expect to have more GB income than RP and the latter to have more RP
    than GB if any. If a regent can spend only both together then these two
    regents would suffer.
    bye
    Michael
    Not exactly; any regent can spend RP to support appropriate actions, such as Create/Contest/Rule Holding or Espionage. My addition was to allow regents to match any RP spent with GB if they so desired. However, they could not spend extra GB to support an action without first spending RP in equal amounts.

The reasoning was that spending resources (GB) to support an action could make it more effective, but only if those resources were properly and efficiently applied (represented by RP spent).

Also, I never applied the +GB rule to Source holdings, as GB-type resources are only ever meant to represent necessary components - a prerequisite, but not additional power when dealing with mebhaighal. Thus wizards tend to remain focused on RP, because for them RP equals mebhaighal and raw power, and this is all that really matters besides their talents (skill synergies) when dealing with sources and competing with one another. As in the original rules, sources and source regents play on their own little private field, very much seperate from other types of regents and holdings. The only place these two mix is where source regents have high-level (4+) source holdings, at which point their Virtual Guilds can act as guild holdings in that province.

Osprey

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll repeat my post from an earlier thread so folks can see it here, this time as a proposed alteration to Ch. 5 (not final version, just core mechanics here for simplicity's sake).

Rule Province:
    -May only be attempted with one province once per season [Domain Turn], regardless of whether it succeeds or fails.
    -Only a character's Administrate synergy bonuses affect the action check.
    -A province may not be increased by more than one level per year. If a province is successfully ruled up a level, a full year (4 Domain Turns) must pass before the same province may be ruled again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    when ruling up a provience.

where do all the people come from?

It could be argued thet other parts of the country sould suffer when ruling upp one part. by this rule one could keep the game balance in order but on the ame time alow players to build up powerbases to mead some actions requierments.

it could be represented thet a D6 is rolled 6 times total for the surounding proviences, determed randomly for wich provience is begin rolled each time. If you roll 1 or 2 thet provience suffer a -1 penalty to provience zise, with no decrise in holding sise (like a curse on the provience / underpopulated)

thet penalty can then be ruled up normaly without surounding proviences begin afected unless you roll 1

thay in turn can be ruled with no danger to surounding proviences.

If the curse of underpopulation hapens to a provience witch already has the curse, the level of the provience is permanetly taken down by one lv,

This is an untested rule, and is the fyrst write up. Its not even a hous rule yet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with Don E. Doubling or tripling the cost of Rule Province would help equalize the cost/benefit ratio.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Osprey@Aug 11 2004, 10:41 AM
    I'll repeat my post from an earlier thread so folks can see it here, this time as a proposed alteration to Ch. 5 (not final version, just core mechanics here for simplicity's sake).

Rule Province:
    -May only be attempted with one province once per season [Domain Turn], regardless of whether it succeeds or fails.
    -A province may not be increased by more than one level per year. If a province is successfully ruled up a level, a full year (4 Domain Turns) must pass before the same province may be ruled again.
    Province Loyalty needs to be a factor here.

-Mike
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion -- and usually easier."

- R. A. Heinlien, from The Collected works of Lazarus Long

Downloads
    Uploads
    QUOTE (Osprey @ Aug 11 2004, 10:41 AM)

Rule Province:

Province Loyalty needs to be a factor here.

-Mike
    Right...just forgot to include that. Attitudes/loyalty should affect ALL domain actions.

Thread Information