Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is the word version of the BRCS-playtest Chap 3, Magic, for discussion.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is, in my opinion, a chapter that does not really need to be touched, save possibly adding a new Clerical Domain: Forge (Yeah, I know, I'm a Dwarf nut, but I think that this one could be thematically linked solidly to worship of Moradin, the Soulforger.

Suggested power: Skill Focus (Craft) as a bonus feat, +2 bonus to Craft checks

Suggested spells would all deal with the creation of items, or deal with Fire.
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion -- and usually easier."

- R. A. Heinlien, from The Collected works of Lazarus Long

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Athos69@Aug 12 2004, 05:33 PM
    This is, in my opinion, a chapter that does not really need to be touched, save possibly adding a new Clerical Domain: Forge (Yeah, I know, I'm a Dwarf nut, but I think that this one could be thematically linked solidly to worship of Moradin, the Soulforger.

Suggested power: Skill Focus (Craft) as a bonus feat, +2 bonus to Craft checks

Suggested spells would all deal with the creation of items, or deal with Fire.
    The problem with this dwarf domain is that it is not a Birthright theme specific addition. It is a commentary on dwarves in general (i.e., a core rules issue) and not to anything peculiar/specific to Birthright.

This is the general line with additions being made to the BRCS - is it something specific to Birthright and not a change to the core rules because of the way they (the core rules) work.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Athos, you could always work with FR's version of Moradin: his domains are Craft, Dwarf, Earth, Good, Law, and Protection. Add or subtract to them as you see fit.

Craft grants a +1 caster level on (Creation) spells, and Skill Focus (Craft [any one]).
    Spells:
    • Animate Rope
    • Wood Shape
    • Stone Shape
    • Minor Creation
    • Wall of Stone
    • +Fantastic Machine (a very gnomish spell)
    • Major Creation
    • Forcecage
    • +Greater Fantastic Machine

Dwarf grants Great Fortitude for free.
    Spells:

Downloads
    Uploads
    irdeggman schrieb:

>This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.

> You can view the entire thread at:

> http://www.birthright.net/forums/ind...ST&f=36&t=2787

>

> irdeggman wrote:

> QUOTE (Athos69 @ Aug 12 2004, 05:33 PM) This is, in my opinion, a chapter that does not really need to be touched, save possibly adding a new Clerical Domain: Forge (Yeah, I know, I`m a Dwarf nut, but I think that this one could be thematically linked solidly to worship of Moradin, the Soulforger.Suggested power: Skill Focus (Craft) as a bonus feat, +2 bonus to Craft checksSuggested spells would all deal with the creation of items, or deal with Fire.

>-----------------------------

>

> The problem with this dwarf domain is that it is not a Birthright theme specific addition. It is a commentary on dwarves in general (i.e., a core rules issue) and not to anything peculiar/specific to Birthright.This is the general line with additions being made to the BRCS - is it something specific to Birthright and not a change to the core rules because of the way they (the core rules) work.

>

Mmmh, I see at least one connection between Birthright and the suggested

domain from the PS of Baruk-Ahzik:

"Every temple of Moradin includes a consecrated forge that is kept

burning at all times. Several smaller, secret forges are normally kept

burning at each holy site so that one will remainlt in the even of

desecration of the temple. Some scholars outside the realm believe that

the dwarves have a superstition regarding the forges: If a forge is ever

extinguished for any reason, the temple must be torn down to the last

stone and entirely rebuilt on a different site...."

Pretty important those forges for the temples :-)

bye

Michael

Downloads
    Uploads
    The passage that ConjurerDragon quotes is pretty much the one I was basing the concept of the Forge Domain on.

The only thing that makes me leery about using the Dwarf or Craft domains from the FRCS is that I somehow doubt that OGL applies to these works, and to use them would be a violation of Copyright laws.
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion -- and usually easier."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Athos69@Aug 13 2004, 12:45 PM

The only thing that makes me leery about using the Dwarf or Craft domains from the FRCS is that I somehow doubt that OGL applies to these works, and to use them would be a violation of Copyright laws.
    Exactly.
    We can use stuff from the SRD (we need to change the spell names to match those instead of the PHB versions, for copyright info), we are allowed to pretty much use any of the BR 2nd ed stuff also.

Many good WotC books are not OGC so we can't use them directly (like Complete Divine, Complete Warrior, Detieis and Demigods, etc.)

It is also a precept of the BRCs to not require any books but the core 3 in order to play. So any reference must only be as a variant or side note, not something that is required to be used.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Of course, if we adapt a Domain in that book for our own, changing some of the spells, the name and the granted power, we could get away with it. This is something I have been striving for.

The big question is: HOW different do we have to make it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    :huh: That was a personal comment to Athos, if you didn't get it...

Now, if you really think it is so important, I think that just a couple of people's voices aren't enough; I by all means am not against such a change, it is just that we can't just say something and let it slip into the BRCS just like that, you know what I mean?

As for plagiarism, it is not a viable charge if the way the whole thing works is different, but for the sake of simplicity use a different name like "Forge" you suggested.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think the forge domain is going to happen. It makes sense, but it makes just as much sense for dwarves in other games. Unless anyone has another suggestion could we move to a vote on this chapter for final sanctioning.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Thread Information