Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi,
    I used to play 2ed Birthright all the time and just downloaded the 3ed playtest version last night and have been reading through it. I realize that it is a playtest version but one significant area was missing and I was wondering about it.
    In 2ed, they gave you the option of playing the regent of a nation that was already there or they gave you rules for creating your own new domain, if I remember correctly it was a point system based on your bloodstrength.
    The playtest version doesn't really give you any information on what the players should do when they are creating new characters and want them to be regents, or whatnot. So are these rules somewhere on these boards and I just haven't found them yet? are they going to be part of the d20 Atlas? or is it just assumed the the characters who want to be regents are just the rulers of one of the established nations?

Thanks,
    Aoskar

Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe most people play with the established realms presented in the existing material, either with the printed regent or one of the heirs. IMO the system presented for creating new domains were not the best, but if one want to use them they can quite simply be used directly without any conversion at all.

My immediate suggestions for changing the system would be to give the characters a set amount of points to build their domains with, perhaps the same amount as they had to buy attributes. If you want more powerful domains this could be doubled or even tripled.
    Province cost I would set to 2/level, with no reduction for any class, and rather increase Law to 2/level but with a reduced price for fighters.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not part of the conversion team, so take this with a large dose of salt.

I don't think the 'make your own domain' rules are going to be included. The conversion to 3.x edition is to make the system work with current rules of AD&D. There is TONS of work (I have been a part of the atlas) just getting the realms and basic rules down. The ability to carve out your own rules outside of the canon system, IMHO, are just too much. The system has so much to offer by playing a current realm/regent, that providing rules to bypass the campaign are silly (not a flame&#33.

Thus I don't think we will see any. However, I have been proven wrong in the past.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually there was suposed to be something on the make your own domain rules included in the playtest. But with the rush to get it out (due to public pressure) it got missplaced. We haven't found the files that had the original notes on it either. The person who wrote that part is on a 'walk about' and we haven't heard from him for quite awhile.

When ever that chapter gets revised adding rules for making your own domain was something that many people pointed out as missing and they basically wanted it back in.

So, eventually they will be there but I can't give you anything to go on right now or even a time line for when it would be available.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    So could you give me a rough guess-timate/homebrew idea for how to go about it? I might be a significant minority here but I always liked to make my own realm because I felt it made the game more "mine" than if I just took over some realm that seemed to be kinda prefab. I understand that Anuire has a dynamic and everything but it just irked me when we would play with given realms and you try to do something and then some ruleslawyer type whips out the book and says, "well it says here that the people of _____ wouldn't go for that, so the dm should role a reaction check or something." Believe me, that kinda BS has happened to me before.

So anyway, does anyone have any kind of homerule 3.0 version of the create your own domain rule?

Thanks,
    Aoskar

In the mean time, you could always only use the current Province and holding levels in the realm, while totally remaking the history of the realm and thus the population's general alignment. So you wouldnt get that problem anymore.

That's what we did in the campaign I'm in, as I am playing the Duke of Mieres, who was never a vassal to the Avin, though we kept Vaumel as the guildmaster just cause he's too cool to toss out, also we changed the population's alignment to neutral from neutral evil.
    "Who was the first that forged the deadly blade? Of rugged steel his savage soul was made." --Tibullus

"Qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum." --Vegetius

"Men grow tired of sleep, love, singing and dancing sooner than war." --Homer

Downloads
    Uploads
    It dosent say anything about a province or population have an alignment in the BRCS nor any efeects a different leader would have on it... sure every player wants the lawful evil monarch's Chaotic neatral ppl to hate him but does that mean they hate the Lawful Good Paladin also?

The general population allignments I was refering to are in the 2ed version, with the realm descriptions.

As for how the people would react to having a regent of differening alignment, it would really depend upon the regents actions that affect the realm. If the actions are different enough from the realms alignment then the regent could suffer a minor loss of regency. A similar idea is put in the BRCS where a regent suffers a minor loss of regency for "acting inconsistant with your alignment." (page 101) As the faith of the people is what gives most regents RP, another effect could be reduced RP collection. It really just depends on how far you would prefer to swing it.
    "Who was the first that forged the deadly blade? Of rugged steel his savage soul was made." --Tibullus

"Qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum." --Vegetius

"Men grow tired of sleep, love, singing and dancing sooner than war." --Homer

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is the thread for Chap 5 Ruling a Domain - discussion.

With the word file (BRCS-playtest version) attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Elves, Dwarfs and Goblins as largest nations except humans should have a variant way of ruling a domain, assets and domain actions as result of totally different cultural traits. (Elf don’t need road for Trade routes (nature stride) also have no corruption and don’t pay tax!!! they should pay ½ of GB for mustering units and maintenance doe to grate understanding among them. THEY Don’t get old!!! That mast have reflection on Rule action, Goblins could “use” slaves or units for Build action or have +2 on province level maximum but can have –1 to loyalty every turn, Dwarfs Build faster and better produce more and have better equipment for units, earns more from trade routes est. This is just an idea because I think expectedly for elves because they are so different society from humans. I have big problems with non-human regents and there domains.

I know this is big job but …

Please comment
    Vosgaard's Veliki hrast.

Thread Information