Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Perfect Captain - Spanish Fury, Sail! rules are quite simple. There is no "battle map" with squares or hexes. The game is played on a flat surface. Each class of ship would have its own template (eg. Galleon, Roundship). These templates have the ships various stats (marines, missile,defense, etc) listed on them.

Movement is based on the 16 points of the compass and the ships ability to sail before, beating or into the wind.
    This system can easily be adapted to the original sea battle rules as the ships already have stats.
    To each, his own.

Downloads
    Uploads
    One problem with trying to use this is the legal issues.

See the pinned topic (under FAQs) on what is meant by Official Fansite and how the rights for posted amterial falls. Basically if it is posted here then the material is jointly owned by WotC and the author.

I'm not certain those who put their effort into the The Perfect Captain - Spanish Fury, Sail! rules are willing to go for that. Just my opinion.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good point.
    I do think that using a compass heading for ship movement makes more sense that a map using squares or hexes. Initially I thought this was fine but it causes issues in regards to ships movement.
    To each, his own.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by lord_arioch@Aug 23 2004, 09:50 PM
    I do think that using a compass heading for ship movement makes more sense that a map using squares or hexes. Initially I thought this was fine but it causes issues in regards to ships movement.
    I think this depends on hwo detailed one want the game to be. MOving in 8 different directions is not that much worse than having the opportunity to move in 16 different directions. In this case I think something easily playable would be preferential.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I could work based on Arms and Equipment guide; I find the rules it has can get a little glitchy, so we could work BASED on them, but change them as much as we can and like so that neither plagiarism is really an issue and that we have a better and easier system.

Downloads
    Uploads
    using a 16 point compass is quite simple. Ship maneuverability and speed would play larger rolls in ship combat than the old system. The old system of a map of squares gave you an option of moving forward, back, left or right. using compass points allows tactics to enter the battle.
    To each, his own.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, the aforementioned book (and many others) have introduced rules for more complex maneuvers. AaEG has rulings for octagonal movement, maneuverability ratings, hp resolution, and of course wind speed. It also has a lot of reference regarding damage caused by ramming attacks and so on.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You two should post the rules, rather than argue over vague descriptions. Ussualy the devil is in the details. Of course, their is also those copyright issues. Can either of these rule sets you have been talking about be posted here?
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by lord_arioch@Aug 25 2004, 10:32 PM
    using a 16 point compass is quite simple. Ship maneuverability and speed would play larger rolls in ship combat than the old system. The old system of a map of squares gave you an option of moving forward, back, left or right. using compass points allows tactics to enter the battle.
    Using a square gird allow you to move in 8 different directions, just like the standard character rules in D&D. In addition this removes the additional work of having to meassure distances and angles.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's the main reason I support 8-directional square-grid systems. I will see how I can work based on the original rules and provide a sum-up by the day.

Thread Information