Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.5 Noble

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK folks, as it's appearing the noble needs to go through some more revision, I have taken the liberty to write up a revised class that integrates some of the proposals for revision. The hope is that I'm creating something that a majority of folks can live with for the 3.5 BRCS project. I can't post it for download (Irdeggman will hopefully do that ), but I'll detail the major changes below:

1. The high BAB was restored.

2. Resources has been revised somewhat. It is available at 1st level as a basic class ability, usable a number of times per adventure/domain turn equal to the noble's Charisma modifier (minimum 1). This number increases by one every 5 levels (5th, 10th, 15th, 20th).
    However: accessing wealth nets only 50 gp per Noble class level. After doing some calculations, I realized that higher levels of Resources could earn ridiculous levels of wealth in the current system.

3. Leadership was bumped down to 2nd level as a bonus feat, and path-based bonus feats are gained at levels 6, 11, and 16. I figured if DM's don't like Leadership at 2nd level, they can always swap it with the 6th level path feat.

4. Coordinate +2 was kept at 3rd level, but higher levels (+4, +6 etc.) were removed, and the check to add the bonus was changed from Charisma (DC 10 + number of people being coordinated) to a Lead check (DC 15 + number of people being coordinated). This seemed like an obvious use of the Lead skill, and it can still be used untrained as a Charisma check.

And that about sums it up. A high BAB is the real "power up" from the last version. There's one less bonus feat, significantly reduced wealth from resources, and no higher levels of Coordinate to compensate for this. What do folks think of this? If there's generally positive feedback, then we can run a poll to sanction it.

Osprey

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is the pdf version.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    And here is the Word version.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for posting that Duane, and converting it to .pdf! Much appreciated...

And folks, some feedback would be great, so that we know if this is worth putting forth for sanctioning as an official version. Thanks in advance!

Osprey

Downloads
    Uploads
    I truly like this version! Works fine, if you ask me...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I *really* like this... I think we should set up a Sanctioning vote on this....

now if we could only get going with the Magician, we could put Chapter 1 to bed soon and give Duane his long-deserved break
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion -- and usually easier."

- R. A. Heinlien, from The Collected works of Lazarus Long

Downloads
    Uploads
    At 1st level, a noble can requisition resources a number of times equal to his Charisma modifier per adventure (or Domain turn, if more appropriate), with a minimum of 1 attempt per adventure at 1st level (even with a Charisma modifier of 0 or less). He may make an additional attempt per adventure or domain turn at 5th level and every 5 levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th). A failed check doesn’t expend any of the noble’s influence, but the noble cannot attempt to access the same resource (or contact) and suffers a cumulative –2 to every subsequent attempt that domain turn made to gain the same benefit from other resources.* The DM should carefully monitor the use of this ability to ensure that it isn’t abused.
    This doesn’t play well. There is no time limit expressed for how long it takes to access resources. Also using an adventure as a basis is rather awkward since some adventures can last a real real long time (Kingdom of the Giantdowns for instance lasts many domain turns). It works fine if there is only 1 access of resources but when the number increases it makes it real hard to deal with. I prefer the way trying to make the variable was the number of resources of which the noble could only access one an adventure or domain turn, but he has a choice. The idea being that each contact had a different function or different things that the noble could get from them. This is something I noticed in how the revised version I wrote reads also. I don't know maybe it works as written, but when reading it again it just seems awkward. I think that 1 access per adventure or domain turn but an increase in the number of of attempts to max of 1 per month with a larger number of resources might work better.

The * annotation is supposed to indicate a new feat listed in the BRCS and not to be confused with a domain level feat. See Magic chapter for examples. Should use the annotation consistently. Probably should add a note indicating this.

I'm still not real comfortable with the good BAB, since I see this class as more of a classroom/interaction learning one and not as a constant training on the practice field or in the woods where constant practice in martial arts is a part of the way things are learned. A bonus feat would fit better IMO, but the class is balanced as written and if that is what the masses want - then so be it.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    suggestion:

Could we give the good BAB to the Warrior subset, and do something for the other 2 in order to even it out?
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion -- and usually easier."

- R. A. Heinlien, from The Collected works of Lazarus Long

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Athos69@Aug 4 2004, 07:21 PM
    suggestion:

Could we give the good BAB to the Warrior subset, and do something for the other 2 in order to even it out?
    That would make them more like 3 separate classes instead of variations/paths on the same one.

If it came to that, I'd rather the class had a good BAB.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    I tend to think of the noble as a class with a good BAB progression. Anyway, regarding resources, I noticed that as well but had no clear idea till now. What if the ability to ask for resources is broken down on a time basis? Like, once per week or month, or something like that?

Thread Information