View Poll Results: Should the races section of Chap 1 be sanctioned?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. Yes

17 80.95%
  • 2. No

1 4.76%
  • 3. Abstain

3 14.29%
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is to vote only on the racessectin of Chapt 1. The rest will follow shortly.

If you vote against (i.e., no) then please give a reason. It might be something simple or a total philosophical difference.

Again, don't null your vote to see the results - you won't be able to vote if you do.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is the pdf version.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is the Word version.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Each regional area has an associated list of four skills commonly acquired by people from that regional background. These regional background skills are always considered class skills for the character, regardless of class.
    Why four permanent class skills? I think it's a bit much. How about letting players choose three permanent class skills from a lit of five class skills per region?

Why are both Low Brecht and High Brecht regional human dialects?

Brecht (BREH-kt)
    As far as I know, the word "Brecht" has only one syllable, not two...

Why are the locked gauntlet, warpony, sunrod, tanglefoot bag and thunderstone not avaiable to Cerillians?

And why can't I use Adobe Reader's Search function in this PDF?? :blink:

Concerning elves and half-elves, I think they got the short end of the stick. I mean, they've got this infamous reputation which haunts them, but no meaningful bonuses (to me) to compensate for that. Immunity/resistance to aging attacks? What 3rd edition monster has aging attacks? None, as far as I know, which makes that special quality completely useless.

Anyhow, other than that, I think it's fine. I'll defer voting for now, until I get a reply to this post.
    <span style='color:darkgray'>&quot;I like to be passionate and sincere, but I also like to have fun and act like a dork... Geeks unite.&quot;
    &#160;</span>&#160;<span style='color:brightgray'>&#160;&#160;—Kurt Cobain</span>

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, those 4 class skills are one thing, why I personnally like the write up of the humans now. They&#39;re cool now as they are...

I only have problems with the elves. But since I&#39;m sure, I can&#39;t change anything here, I&#39;ve voted for sanctioning that chapter...
    May Khirdai always bless your sword and his lightning struck your enemies!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Each regional area has an associated list of four skills commonly acquired by people from that regional background. These regional background skills are always considered class skills for the character, regardless of class.
    Why four permanent class skills? I think it&#39;s a bit much. How about letting players choose three permanent class skills from a lit of five class skills per region?

This was considered the trade off for forcing them to use all of their starting human bonus skill points on regional background skills. Something that the Wheel of Time setting also did, but didn’t give them the skills as class skills from then on. Almost all classes will end up having one (or more) of those regional skills as class skills so it isn’t quite the same as gaining 4 bonus class skills.

Here is the link to the poll on human subraces and discussion.
    http://www.birthright.net/forums/ind...showtopic=2457

Why are both Low Brecht and High Brecht regional human dialects?
    They are considered separate languages and not dialects. High Brecht is not that common among the ‘lower’ class or workers and is usually used in high society or by those with privilege (or historians). Same as it was in 2nd ed BR.

Brecht (BREH-kt)
    As far as I know, the word "Brecht" has only one syllable, not two...
    I can go either way. I usually don’t make it 2 syllables myself, but I went with what was presented earlier and no one had any comments on this until now.

People let me know, it is a minor change and doesn’t really effect anything.

Why are the locked gauntlet, warpony, sunrod, tanglefoot bag and thunderstone not avaiable to Cerillians?

This is a comment on the equipment section and doesn’t belong in this thread. Bring it up on the other thread talking about the chapter.

And why can&#39;t I use Adobe Reader&#39;s Search function in this PDF??*
    If someone can tell me how to enable that when I covert a Word document into pdf I’ll be happy to do that. It’s just not something I know how to do. I have both adobe acrobat 6.0 – professional and scansoft’s pdf converter 2 professional. I’ve been using the latter more recently because it makes smaller pdf files with still good quality.

Concerning elves and half-elves, I think they got the short end of the stick. I mean, they&#39;ve got this infamous reputation which haunts them, but no meaningful bonuses (to me) to compensate for that. Immunity/resistance to aging attacks? What 3rd edition monster has aging attacks? None, as far as I know, which makes that special quality completely useless.

First off the infamous reputation is not always in effect; it is only in locations where this applies (which is really most everywhere, IMO except maybe portions of Vosgaard). Note that this is considered an even balance. Per the examples of traits in UA a +to one skill is offset by an equivalent – to two other ones. This ability fits the description of Cerilian elves in the BR literature.

Now let’s check the other abilities. PHB elves do not gain the timeless (already covered) or Nature Stride ability. Timeless also gives immunity to natural diseases not just aging effects.

BR elves also can be wizards/sorcerers without having to be blooded, so even the common elves are highly likely to be wizards/sorcerers.

Cerilian elves also have a broader choice of favored classes than do the PHB elves. PHB elves have favored class – wizard, while Cerilian elves have any one arcane casting class (i.e., wizard, sorcerer, bard or even magician (why I don’t know – but it is available).

I don’t know if you (or anyone else really noticed) but the Cerilian elves now get the martial weapon proficiency in swords and bows that the PHB elves do. This was specifically disallowed in the 2nd ed BRRB. I fought this change in the BRCS-playtest but lost and evidently most people like it so it stayed. Have to admit that it does match the way Cerilian elves are portrayed in the BR literature and it seemed like a ‘minor’ inclusion to make them closer to the PHB version.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, I never had the time to check through the manual at my leisure, so I cannot be of much help, but the help does have a lot of information (even if it is a bit frustrating at first) regarding the creation of indexes, etc.

The command is found under the Advanced menu, and is called Catalog; the command scans your document and creates an index for you. You are supposed to exclude some words from the index (the Help says that there is a limit of 500 words), and leave the rest to the program, I suppose...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I&#39;m closing this poll. Here are the results:

Should the races section of Chap 1 be sanctioned?
    1. Yes [ 17 ] [80.95%]
    2. No [ 1 ] [4.76%]
    3. Abstain [ 3 ] [14.29%]
    Total Votes: 21

So I declare the Chap 1 section on races to be sanctioned. Another one bites the dust. . . .
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information