Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The concept is actually not requiring a set of classes and levels in these classes, but ensuring how these things play out together. For example, a common way to have prestige classes work is making it easy for a class combination to pick it up, while simple characters have a harder time doing so; BAB, BSB, and feat requirements can be met by most characters with little difficulty if choosing your path early on - it's just that others will have an easier time doing the exact same thing!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by RaspK_FOG@Jul 28 2004, 09:00 AM
    The concept is actually not requiring a set of classes and levels in these classes, but ensuring how these things play out together.
    Exactly. The problem here is that the suggestion to add even more feats to the requirements would force the class to more or less only be available to the fighter/cleric. If one set the class to be 'available' at 7th level, it should IMO be possible to take the class based on different class choice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What I meant is that, for example, a cleric/fighter should be able to take it at 7th level while a pure cleric should have a harder time, being unable to take the class until he reaches, let's say, 10th level.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess this is where I fundamentally disagree with you with regards to this class. As the class has mostly supernatural/spell like abilities I think it should be more fitting for a cleric than a fighter.

I would also like to add that requiring the feats Battlecaster, Combat Casting, Endurance and Leadership would require the character to be at least 9th level as none of the above feats are fighter feats. (Unless one were to find some prestige class at lower levels that gave the relevant feats.) With this combination it is actually the Ranger/Cleric character who is the only capable of taking this class at 7th level, something I think might be contrary to the intentions of the class.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I though Endurance was a [Fighter] feat? Hmm... let me check it out.

You are right: I seem to get confused with the whole thing with rangers getting it for free... Oh well, I guess Improved Toughness is not available, being a Complete Warrior feat and all, and Toughness seems too... blerg? Something like that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes Don, Raspk has the idea -- the class is 'easier' for a Figher/Cleric to achieve, but there will be nothing that prevents a pure Cleric or a Paladin from adopting this class -- they will just have a few extra levels to go before they can adopt it. It isn't without precedent in PrCls. There are some PrCls that either require multiclassing, or it makes lfe alot easier if you do...

Endurance (in BR at least) can be taken as a 'virtual' feat if one has the Blood ability Endurance. It's a minor power, and is avilable to any derivation, save Azrai and Vorynn. The vast majority of listed Dwarves have Andurias as a derivation...

Keep the ideas coming -- I'm sorting through them all in my brain...
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion -- and usually easier."

- R. A. Heinlien, from The Collected works of Lazarus Long

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would like to keep the skills for both Lead and Warcraft kept at +6.

With fighters and clerics only receiving 2+int, these would have to be the only choices taken from 1st level to qualify by 7th level.

This means these characters would be lacking in things like concentration and K(relgion).

Downloads
    Uploads
    While many players would really strive for such a character, having them "pay" 12 skill points on these two skills by 7th level, whereas the average dwarven cleric or fighter only has about 20 skill points, is a bit too much. I mean, such a character would have very few Concentration and Knowledge (religion) ranks, which immediately makes the whole thing wrong!

Downloads
    Uploads
    While many players would really strive for such a character, having them "pay" 12 skill points on these two skills by 7th level, whereas the average dwarven cleric or fighter only has about 20 skill points, is a bit too much. I mean, such a character would have very few Concentration and Knowledge (religion) ranks, which immediately makes the whole thing wrong!
    I agree that Concentration should be a key skill for any battle caster. K/Religion, however?!? I don't think theology is all that crucial of a skill for combat-oriented priests. More often than not, I'd expect them to accept a very simplified theology that fits well with a black-and-white kil the infidels sort of theology, which needs only a rank or so of K/Rligion to justify. Just think of fundamentalists (of any religion)...how many ranks would YOU give them in theology? :lol:

If I were to make a Battlepriest PrC, I would make Concentration and Warcraft the key skills. But that's just me.

Cheers!

Osprey

Downloads
    Uploads
    I generally believe that prestige classes that are accessible from low levels are more rounded up if they require you to have a few ranks in various skills. For example, the aforementioned 4 skills (Concentration, Lead, Knowledge [religion], Warcraft) could be required, but I agree with the consensus that Knowledge (religion) becomes secondary to such characters.

How about 5 ranks in each of these 3 skills - Concentration, Lead, and Warcraft? Plus maybe 3 ranks in Knowledge (religion)?

Thread Information