Navigation proficiency score-whichever is lower." Now this is all and good
    but the seaworthiness score for the roundship, the most seaworthy boat in
    cerilia is 18, the score for the galleon is 15, so it would be easier to
    ground a roundship than a galleon? It doesn't make sense. If am just
    looking at this wrong sorry.

T

Trizt

Ship Grounding

On 30-Jun-98, Tommy Ashton II (Tommy.Ashton@asu.edu) wrote about [BIRTHRIGHT]
    - - Ship Grounding:
    - ->List,
    - ->Forgive me if this has been said before but I rereading my Naval Battles
    - ->Rules and the rule for grounding got me thinking. I be just dizzy in the
    - ->head but is says that "A check for grounding succeeds if a player rolls a
    - ->1d20 result lower than the ship's seaworthiness rating or the pilots
    - ->Navigation proficiency score-whichever is lower." Now this is all and good
    - ->but the seaworthiness score for the roundship, the most seaworthy boat in
    - ->cerilia is 18, the score for the galleon is 15, so it would be easier to
    - ->ground a roundship than a galleon? It doesn't make sense. If am just
    - ->looking at this wrong sorry.

It prolly should have said higher instead of lower (haven't read those naval
    rules so closely as there hasn't been any real need for naval rules in my BR
    campaign, yet).

//Trizt of Ward^RITE

--------------------
    E-Mail: trizt@iname.com URL1: http://home.bip.net/trizt/
    ICQ# : 13696780 URL2: http://www.ukko.dyn.ml.org/~trizt/
    Nick : Trizt IRC: lib.hel.fi Channel: #Opers
    MUD: callandor.imaginary.com 5317
    --------------------
    OS : AmigaOS 3.1 / openBSD 2.2 CPU: PPC603e/160Mhz & MC68040/25Mhz
    IP : ukko.dyn.ml.org
    --------------------

Phil Burge

Ship Grounding

Tommy Ashton II wrote:

> List,
    > Forgive me if this has been said before but I rereading my Naval Battles
    > Rules and the rule for grounding got me thinking. I be just dizzy in the
    > head but is says that "A check for grounding succeeds if a player rolls a
    > 1d20 result lower than the ship's seaworthiness rating or the pilots
    > Navigation proficiency score-whichever is lower." Now this is all and good
    > but the seaworthiness score for the roundship, the most seaworthy boat in
    > cerilia is 18, the score for the galleon is 15, so it would be easier to
    > ground a roundship than a galleon? It doesn't make sense. If am just
    > looking at this wrong sorry.
    >
    > T
    >
    >

I think it is meant to be looked at that a successful check (meaning the boat is
    NOT grounded) occurs if the player can role under the Seaworthiness or the
    Navigation Proficency, therefore making a Roundship less likely to be grounded

- -- Stay tuned, same bat time, same bat channel,

Phil.

Gary V. Foss

Ship Grounding

> Tommy Ashton II wrote:
    >
    > > List,
    > > Forgive me if this has been said before but I rereading my Naval Battles
    > > Rules and the rule for grounding got me thinking. I be just dizzy in the
    > > head but is says that "A check for grounding succeeds if a player rolls a
    > > 1d20 result lower than the ship's seaworthiness rating or the pilots
    > > Navigation proficiency score-whichever is lower." Now this is all and good
    > > but the seaworthiness score for the roundship, the most seaworthy boat in
    > > cerilia is 18, the score for the galleon is 15, so it would be easier to
    > > ground a roundship than a galleon? It doesn't make sense. If am just
    > > looking at this wrong sorry.
    > >
    > > T\

Phil Burge wrote:

> I think it is meant to be looked at that a successful check (meaning the boat is
    > NOT grounded) occurs if the player can role under the Seaworthiness or the
    > Navigation Proficency, therefore making a Roundship less likely to be grounded
    >
    > -- Stay tuned, same bat time, same bat channel,
    >
    > Phil.

Let me see if I've got this straight. I was pretty sure Tommy was pointing out that
    it is easier to ground a roundship than a galleon, right? And Phil is saying,
    basically, that is the way it should be? Or do I have it backwards? Or is it
    neither?

Anyway, I THOUGHT the point in Tommy was making is that a roundship should be harder
    to BEACH than a galleon, as that's what they did (in the RL) with galleons all the
    time. Supposedly you just run the thing up the sand so you can pour out and slaughter
    the villagers.

Maybe there is some semantic confusion here (aside from my obvious confusion, that is)
    between the different meanings of the world "Grounding." 1. to beach a craft or 2. to
    run aground against the shore.

Is that it or should I lay off the dwarven mead?

Gary

Phil Burge

Ship Grounding

Gary V. Foss wrote:

> > Tommy Ashton II wrote:
    > >
    > > > List,
    > > > Forgive me if this has been said before but I rereading my Naval Battles
    > > > Rules and the rule for grounding got me thinking. I be just dizzy in the
    > > > head but is says that "A check for grounding succeeds if a player rolls a
    > > > 1d20 result lower than the ship's seaworthiness rating or the pilots
    > > > Navigation proficiency score-whichever is lower." Now this is all and good
    > > > but the seaworthiness score for the roundship, the most seaworthy boat in
    > > > cerilia is 18, the score for the galleon is 15, so it would be easier to
    > > > ground a roundship than a galleon? It doesn't make sense. If am just
    > > > looking at this wrong sorry.
    > > >
    > > > T\
    >
    > Phil Burge wrote:
    >
    > > I think it is meant to be looked at that a successful check (meaning the boat is
    > > NOT grounded) occurs if the player can role under the Seaworthiness or the
    > > Navigation Proficency, therefore making a Roundship less likely to be grounded
    > >
    > > -- Stay tuned, same bat time, same bat channel,
    > >
    > > Phil.
    >
    > Let me see if I've got this straight. I was pretty sure Tommy was pointing out that
    > it is easier to ground a roundship than a galleon, right? And Phil is saying,
    > basically, that is the way it should be? Or do I have it backwards? Or is it
    > neither?
    >
    > Anyway, I THOUGHT the point in Tommy was making is that a roundship should be harder
    > to BEACH than a galleon, as that's what they did (in the RL) with galleons all the
    > time. Supposedly you just run the thing up the sand so you can pour out and slaughter
    > the villagers.
    >
    > Maybe there is some semantic confusion here (aside from my obvious confusion, that is)
    > between the different meanings of the world "Grounding." 1. to beach a craft or 2. to
    > run aground against the shore.
    >
    > Is that it or should I lay off the dwarven mead?
    >
    > Gary
    >
    > ************************************************** *************************
    > > Okay, I must not be making myself very clear lately, maybe its because I'm a Kiwi. What
    I'm trying to say is that when in danger of accidentially grounding a ship, eg. running
    one into a big rock, the Captain of the boat makes a Seaworthiness check. On a roll less
    than the sea worthiness of the vessel (in the roundships case 18, 15 for the galleon) or
    less than the Captains navigation proficencey (whichever of the two values is the lesser)
    the Captain passes and successfully avoids grounding the ship (ie. higher numbers are
    better as it is easier to roll UNDER the number of the sea worthiness - therefore making
    a Roundship better than a Galleon. If on the other hand the player roles ABOVE the number
    (harder with higher numbers) then the ship is grounded. Hope this clears up any
    confusions about my posts : ).

- - Stay tuned, same bat time, same bat channel,

Phil.

TOMMY.ASHTON@ASU.Ed

Ship Grounding

On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Trizt wrote:

> On 30-Jun-98, Tommy Ashton II (Tommy.Ashton@asu.edu) wrote about [BIRTHRIGHT]
    > - Ship Grounding:
    > ->List,
    > ->Forgive me if this has been said before but I rereading my Naval Battles
    > ->Rules and the rule for grounding got me thinking. I be just dizzy in the
    > ->head but is says that "A check for grounding succeeds if a player rolls a
    > ->1d20 result lower than the ship's seaworthiness rating or the pilots
    > ->Navigation proficiency score-whichever is lower." Now this is all and good
    > ->but the seaworthiness score for the roundship, the most seaworthy boat in
    > ->cerilia is 18, the score for the galleon is 15, so it would be easier to
    > ->ground a roundship than a galleon? It doesn't make sense. If am just
    > ->looking at this wrong sorry.
    >
    > It prolly should have said higher instead of lower (haven't read those naval
    > rules so closely as there hasn't been any real need for naval rules in my BR
    > campaign, yet).
    >
    > //Trizt of Ward^RITE
    While it is kinda of nice to actually for once asked a question that started
    more than one response, I was reading the cards of naval manuevers in Cities
    of the Sun and it was supposed to be higher. Guess the editors didn't catch
    the transfer of the rule to book form in the Naval war set. (Yes, I bought
    both, and they say Birthright doesn't sell. Irony heavy)

T

Thread Information