Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm asking for opinions on which realms should be designated as NPC only realms in the new Atlas.

Currently the following realms in Anuire are set as NPC only.

The Spiderfell
    Boeruine
    Rhuobhe
    Avanil
    Ghoere
    Mhoried
    The Imperial City
    The Gorgon's Crown
    The Five Peaks
    Markazor
    Mur-Kilad
    Thurazor
    The Chimaeron
    Osoerde

The only could I don't really agree with are Osoerde and Thurazor (if you want to play a goblin), and looking at most pbem games, I think the majority of people agree with me, but again, I'd like more input before changing those to recommended.

The following holding regents are specifically set as NPC domains

The Brosen Royal Guild
    The Northern Reformed Church of Sarimie
    Stonecrown Coster/Source of the Maesil/Northlands Exchange

I'd drop all three from the list. After going through their details there is nothing to signify anything speciel, even with Mheallie Bireon, who is rich, but no more so than the WIT, Ender, Brosengae, and a couple of others. The only nonlanded regents I'd including on the NPC list are the specifically NPC ones, mainly the Gorgon's vassals, and maybe the Eyeless One.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with pretty much all of your opionions on this, Raesene. For the most part, I'd let PC's play just about any domain, just not any major villains like ancient awnshegh.

But I think it reasonable that PC's should be able to play evil villainous types too, not just underdog heroes if that's what the DM wants.

Even the Gorgon's vassals are playable as PC's, though that would take some serious extra work on the DM's part. Heh, but it would be quite interesting to try and be the regent of Markazor or Mur-Kilad, perhaps trying to either win the Gorgon's favor or escape from under his rule by finding allies outside.

I think what I'm driving at here is that there perhaps shouldn't be quite so strict a designation on PC vs. NPC realms. Rather, we should simply recommend certain realms for NPC's only, stressing that this is the DM's call in the end.

Avanil, Boeruine, and Ghoere, plus the awnshegh realms and the Imperial City, are about the only landed domains I wouldn't want to put in players' hands.

The Five Peaks isn't a united realm, and shouldn't be presented as such, but I see no reason why an enterprising (and strong) blooded leader might not have a chance of uniting the tribes and carving some territory out there. Heh, it's about the only place in Anuire where a Barbarian PC might have some fun as a regent...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have put in a status section in the Atlas, primarily to give some guidelines on what types of characters would be good running that realm (rogues, nobles, etc). So far, I've only marked the major NPCs and Awnshegh as NPC domains, but I will put something in the explantion to say that there realms are only recommended as being kept as NPC domains.
    In my experience, most DMs will ignore this anyway and I will put some information on playing or adventuring in realms like Mur-Kilad, Markazor, and the Five Peaks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    based on my very limited knowledge of birthright history... i don't see why a player can't get Mhoried.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was considering Mhoried yesterday. It has a slightly higher income that some realms, but nothing compared to Ghoere, Avanil, and Boeruine. So Mhoried will probably become a recommended realm

Thread Information