Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Family wizards

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmmm removing elves from sorcerers seems like a bad idea to me. Bloodspawn specifically refers to the Sie (precursers of elves) as being able to cast arcane (inserted 3.5 word to describe) spells without memorizing (like a wizard) and then says the the elves acquired that portion of themselves while their shadow world equivalent acquired the mastery of divine spells. There are many references in 2nd ed BR to elves being like sorcerers (as they ended up being described in 3.5).

The definition of true mages here also refers to elves and half-elves, since it is removed from the ability to cast Realm Magic. Casting realm magic further restricts the number of 'true' mages, since it eliminates the elves and half elves who can naturally cast greater magic by placing an additional requirement that they be blooded.

Elves are the masters of arcane magic in Cerilia. That is something that should never be forgotten when developing something new. The only ones who are (or might be) better are the dragons, and there are so 'few' of them that they should be considered singularly and pretty much never show up in any type of random table. As an example would the Gorgon show up as a random encounter? I think not.

And yes, it will screw things up greatly - if only because it destroys the 'balance' concept. Remeber we are also talking about PCs here and not jsut the 'bad guys' or 'monsters', so balance between players is an essential part of 3.5. It sounds too much like Dark Sun where the use of arcane magic destroyed the planet. Cerilia on the other hand 'embraces' arcane magic by empowering it as it were, instead of being in conflict with it.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    When i created this i had no intention of letting a PC near it. I also concede to your point on elves. Note my only source for BR material is Wotc BR memories and of course this site.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Ksaturn@Jul 16 2004, 04:55 AM
    When i created this i had no intention of letting a PC near it. I also concede to your point on elves. Note my only source for BR material is Wotc BR memories and of course this site.
    If PCs can not have access to it, then what is it really all about then?

PCs can be born to be power of true magic in their veins. Elven blood does this, pretty much automatically. And that uber sorcerer concept just doesn't work for elves at all, as you have no doubt figured out.

What of the Khinasi? They foster education and knowledge to the point that using arcane magic is probably more common there thatn anywhere else other than elven lands.

There are 2 colleges of arcane magic mentioned in the 2nd ed BR material. The Royal College of Sorcery (in the Imperial City) and there is one in Moedore (founded by Sirus Enlien and the church of Ruornil there). Other than Ruornil being the god of magic, all temples of Avani are said to be libraries. This implies that wizards and magicians could actually do some type of research there (she is also a god of magic, secondary profile).

Try this link for the free WotC BR downloads (including Bloodspawn and the BoR).

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.a...d/dx20020121x5
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    irdeggman i'm not sure we both have the same idea of my view... and i havent slept in a good 2 digit time period... I left wizards basically as they were in 2E(i think)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Ksaturn@Jul 16 2004, 05:50 AM
    irdeggman i'm not sure we both have the same idea of my view... and i havent slept in a good 2 digit time period... I left wizards basically as they were in 2E(i think)
    This was were I got confused on the issue.

This idea WILL make them NPC classes unless someone REALLY earns it. (IMC you have to earn wizard, and possibly cleric)
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Ksaturn@Jul 16 2004, 05:50 AM
    irdeggman ... and i havent slept in a good 2 digit time period...
    Haven't slept in a two digit time period? Does this mean that every 9 hrs you have to take a nap? And I thought I was old. :lol:
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    IMC, I still try and go by a few of the old 2e standards on racial restrictions. Specifically with wizzie and clerics.

Sorcerors= elves and halfling ONLY class (half elf as well)
    Wizards= any, but mostly human, or halfelf, the VERY occasional dwarf
    Cleric/druid= human, halfling, with dwarves for priests of Moradin

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by irdeggman@Jul 16 2004, 10:47 AM
    Hmmm removing elves from sorcerers seems like a bad idea to me. Bloodspawn specifically refers to the Sie (precursers of elves) as being able to cast arcane (inserted 3.5 word to describe) spells without memorizing (like a wizard) and then says the the elves acquired that portion of themselves while their shadow world equivalent acquired the mastery of divine spells. There are many references in 2nd ed BR to elves being like sorcerers (as they ended up being described in 3.5)
    You are correct here... I was basing my view on High Elves not the Sie. They are much closer to sorceror then what was noted before. My intent was to require a great deal of divine blood to wield sorcery, but wizardry would still be as (realitivly) easy to attain as normal.

A good compromise was stated by Epicsoul... for standard sorcerors. My idea removed sorcerors from the standard classes. Whether or not i use this idea has come into question now and is still pending.

Thread Information