Thread: Dwarves

LLwyed

Dwarves

Hello. This is my first post to this forum as I had no idea it existed.
    Fortunately my GM is subscribed and he recommended it to me. First of all let
    me say that I am a part owner of two game/comic stores and am very involved in
    AD&D. I was not interested in Birthright at all. I think I held the view of
    many other AD&D players. It looked nice but the rules sounded complex and
    "weird" to me. Now besides my narrow mindedness, which I have obviously since
    overcome, I think that is the typical response most of my customers give me.
    Now before anyone says I'm just a money grubbing schmuck, let me say that I
    enjoy this game world more than any other I've played in the last 12 years. So
    obviously this news of a re-launch in a year was not received well by me. I am
    trying to promote this system in my stores! I was distressed because I can't
    help TSR move their product (and ensure new goodies for me too) without the
    actual material. So when I read that they would be re-printing the boxed set
    yesterday I was very pleased. However I was trying to find ways that TSR could
    ensure that the re-launch goes over well. I was thinking of what AEG did with
    the card game Legend of the Five Rings. Now I know it isn't a directly related
    product but the situation was similar. They had a fabulous product, sound
    rules, fantastic art and just a good thing in general. However nobody wanted
    to buy it because Magic was dominating the scene. So what did they do? They
    decided to be more agressive. they probably weren't going to be successful
    otherwise any way so they went to GenCon and gave away something like 10,000
    free starter decks. I think Birthright should do something similar. Perhaps a
    small softcover booklet with the main rules and a little bit of the history
    (one of my favorite parts of Birthright) . Gamers come to my stores and they
    love free stuff. They also like extra things to read. Now if TSR gives away
    10,000 of these "pamphlet" like things and 1,000 people decide they like it.
    That would have to be considered a success. I'm not talking about some cheaply
    thrown together thing either. It would have to be a quality product.
    I know thats a lot to digest but in my humble opinion Birthright is the best
    world TSR has ever created. It is sound story wise and also rules wise. The
    fact that people are afraid of new things and want to stick to Forgotten
    Realms should not be held against Birthright. Sometimes people need help
    seeing things differently and then they like what they see. I know I did.

Thanks

Llwyed

Morgramen the Magician

Dwarves

LLwyed wrote:

>
    > I know thats a lot to digest but in my humble opinion Birthright is the best
    > world TSR has ever created.

HERE HERE!

I will say that TSR could reorganize the rules abit, possibly even publish a "beginners
    guide" in the manner they did for the D&D setting a while back, that way players like
    myself, (who have trouble learning by just reading the rules...I gotta play the thing
    first) can open it up, read it, play it, and get more advanced as they learn.

> It is sound story wise and also rules wise. The
    > fact that people are afraid of new things and want to stick to Forgotten
    > Realms should not be held against Birthright. Sometimes people need help
    > seeing things differently and then they like what they see. I know I did.
    >
    > I agree with you 100% on this. I had the BR box set on my shelf for nearly 2 years,
    > and had only cracked it once...the day that I got it, and then I only looked at the
    > pictures and said "Well it sure is a NICE looking book." Then I filed it & returned
    > to my stationary collection. It was not until 2 weeks ago (shortly after finding this
    > list & reading a few of the fabulous posts) that I decided to give BR a second look.
    > Now I'm hooked!

I've been on the list for about 2 weeks, have joined 2 PBeMs, and am running out to the
    Hobby Shop to search out the Books for Mage craft & Priests on payday! I was upset to
    learn that the line was on hold too...but at least the wait will give me a chance to
    catch up.

Birthright is too vibrant, too exciting, and just plain old excellent a setting to just
    "disappear." Even if TSR cut off the line tomorrow (Heaven forbid) I for one, would
    Rule on, and just have to do allot more of the work myself!

I shall never again see the actual wall behind my realm maps again!

Thread Information