Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Magic Items

Downloads
    Uploads
    So... we come to Version 3...

‘Orogbane’

This great Karamhul waraxe is over 1,200 years old, and represents the greatest achievement of Kuldar the Pious, Archprelate of Moradin’s Forge of the time. Beset by the hordes of Orogs attacking the Kingdom of Baruk-Azhik, Kuldar, who was also a master smith, set about creating a weapon for the Overthane that would reflect the glory and protection of the Soul Forger, Moradin. In a technique that is only known to a handful of Karamhul weapon smiths today, the axe incorporates three metals in its design, but loses no strength for the composite construction involved.

The haft and blade of the axe are made of the finest steel that Karamhul can smelt, tempered in cold, pure water from the Khurinlach. Set within the blade, and running down the haft are fine veins of Tighmaevril, to capture and channel the divine essence of any slain scion to the wielder. Along the edge of the blade is set an edge of Moraskorr, the hardest known metal to any in Cerilia.

Kuldar spent much time in prayer and meditation while enchanting the blade. He specifically prayed to Moradin to imbue the weapon with his Holy power and to consecrate it for use against the Orog threat. An additional enchantment enables the weilder to strike swiftly.

Over the centuries, successive Overthanes have used this weapon to great effect in turning back hordes of Orogs and cutting a swath through strong resistance to turn the tide of battle deep in the tunnels under the Kingdom.

Orogbane: Karamhul Waraxe +5, Holy Orogbane of Speed. +5/+7 vs. Orogs; Damage: d10+5 (+2d6 vs. Orogs) (+2d6 vs. Evil); Crit x3; SQ: Moraskorr (Adamantine) [Ignores hardness less than 20], Tighmaevril (Bloodsilver) [Acts as a Bloodsilver weapon], Speed [Allows an additional attack each round at the full attack bonus].
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion -- and usually easier."

- R. A. Heinlien, from The Collected works of Lazarus Long

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe it is time to add another domain to the cleric.

Skilled in the creation and identifying of magical weapons.

Domain: Weaponeer
    Domain Ability:

Bonus Feat: Metacreative (without the prerequisites.)

Benefit: The character can create magic weapons as if his or her effective caster level were one less than his or her actual level (minimum 1st level). The character must still be of high enough level to cast the spell in question. The chatacter can choose to use or not use this feat on each new magic weapon he or she creates. (mostly the same as the psionic feat, but only weapons instead of all items.)

Bonus Spells

1st Identify
    2nd Bless Weapon
    3rd Mass Magic Weapon
    4th Keen Edge
    5th Greater Magic Weapon
    6th Rusting Grasp
    7th Analyze Dweomer
    8th Mage Sword
    9th Repel Metal or Stone

Downloads
    Uploads
    Identify and Anaylze Dweomer are needed, as only bards can do Analyze as a 6th level spell.

Bless Weapon, Rusting Grasp, Repel are paladin or druid spells. But bumping them up a level should balance them out.

Mage Sword just fits the theme. (And it is the only way to make wounding weapons.) Bumped as it is a wizard spell.

Keen Edge is for the same reason. Bumped also.

Orogbane: Karamhul Waraxe +5, Holy Orogbane of Speed. +5/+7 vs. Orogs; Damage: d10+5 (+2d6 vs. Orogs) (+2d6 vs. Evil); Crit x3; SQ: Moraskorr (Adamantine) [Ignores hardness less than 20], Tighmaevril (Bloodsilver) [Acts as a Bloodsilver weapon], Speed [Allows an additional attack each round at the full attack bonus].
    I hate to say this, however, isnt that a +11 weap?

+5 enhancement
    +2 for Holy
    +1 for Bane
    +3 for Speed
    ----
    +11 total

Also Speed requires the haste spell which isnt a cleric spell.

If Wounding didnt require Mage's sword... it would fit there nicely, oh well.

There also is Flaming Burst, heh, the fires from Moradin's Forge.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good catch T'char... dropping Speed, we can slot in 2 other enchantments that 'fit' the concept and racial characteristics: Defending and Mighty Cleaving, both of which are accessible by a Cleric.

Version 4 (we're getting closer&#33

Orogbane: Karamhul Waraxe +5, Holy Defending Orogbane of Mighty Cleaving. +5/+7 vs. Orogs; Damage: d10+5 (+2d6 vs. Orogs) (+2d6 vs. Evil); Crit x3; SQ: Moraskorr (Adamantine) [Ignores hardness less than 20], Tighmaevril (Bloodsilver) [Acts as a Bloodsilver weapon], Defending [Allows the wielder to transferup to 5 points from the weapon's enhancement bonus to his own AC], Mighty Cleaving [allows the wielder to make 1 extra Cleave attack, if the wielder posesses the Cleave feat].
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion -- and usually easier."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmmm. This appears to be more of an offensive weapon.

How about dropping Defending and replace it with Blood Bane?

Let's see. +2d6+2d6+2d6 against blooded evil orogs = :lol:

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't remember where, but somewhere in the 3.5 material it sopecifically mentions that Bane effects do not stack on magic weapons. While you could have 2 or more Banes on a weapon [though I think this is cheezy], they only expand the kinds of creatures that the weapon is enhanced against.

Athos, I'm still a bigger fan of keeping the axe as +5, Holy, Bane vs. Orogs - that's a +8 weapon.

Really, don't you think this is a sufficiently mighty weapon without making it utterly ridiculous? It has everything that's important.

Might Cleaving - now here's a waste of XP for a creator if I ever saw one - one extra cleave per round if you have the Cleave feat? Whoopdie friggin doo!!! Get the Great Cleave feat, and you can cleave all you want! Far superior for cutting through the masses, otherwise one cleave a round is all most characters will ever use.

Defending - Always a useful feat, again I think it's just thematically all wrong.

The more stuff you load on here, the less-liked it will be by the Atlas team, I'll bet money on that.

As a +8 total weapon, it&#39;s already far superior to any of the other "official" magic weapons, like Michael Roele&#39;s pathetic sword. <_< While this seems justified based on my former arguments, we probably need at least a little bit of compromise to make the low-magic crowd somewhat mollified. Stacking it up to a +10 weapon is going to make it an almost impossible sell for inclusion into the Atlas - mark my words. Even at +8, it&#39;s gonna be tough...

Osprey

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good points, all of them.

I think +5 Holy Bane is sufficient. (and still a kick-ass weapon for its intended purpose. It also showcases the highly advanced metalworking skills at the pinnacle of Dwarven craftsmanship.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think +5 Holy Bane is sufficient. (and still a kick-ass weapon for its intended purpose. It also showcases the highly advanced metalworking skills at the pinnacle of Dwarven craftsmanship.
    True dat, man.

Now, you have only to convince the conservatives and skeptics (yeah, you know who you are ) to somehow allow a dwarven axe to have tighmaevriel welded into it...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well one thing I devised along with the player of Moradin&#39;s Forge in a game I&#39;m currently playing, is a part of the heirarchy of that temple.

We both came up with a position of high honour in the temple called The Keeper of the Flame, who tended the central forge, ensuring that it never was extinguished, and also serving as the chief artificer for the Temple and Kingdom. In the capacity of Keeper of the Flame, the priest would maintain a high level of skill in both weaponsmithing and armoursmithing. On occasion, the Keeper could be selected as the next Archprelate, which is something that happened in the case of Kuldar.

As a rule of thumb, to create an item that has a fusion of two dissimilar metals, like steel and moraskorr, it would require the item to be Masterwork and have a DC of about 25 to 30. In the case of three, I would set the DC at 35 to 40, and require the Dwarven Artisan feat to do so. Kuldar was 18th level when he created this axe, and had the opportunity to attempt such a difficult task.

Thread Information