Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How did Tuar Annwn get to be in the Shadow World? I thought elves despised necromancy (it's a shunned school and all), and that they become mortal in the Shadow World (as is stated in Blood Spawn).

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is hinted at that the mages responsible have been banished. It worked though the elves have survived and grown strong once more.
    MORNINGSTAR

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tuar Annwn exists in BOTH planes at the same time. This has allowed the elves to still be immortal, but they appear gaunt an exhausted. The book says that according to legend the elves have acquired vampiric abilities. It also says that when the elves were losing the war against Velenoye they cast some powerful spells and lost control of them causing Tuar Annwn to shift into the Shadow World.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like all the responses we goten,

Im still intrested in the name vosgaard
    I know the meaning of the word "gaard" or gard,
    it represent a man maid fortress or walls thet keep unvanted things out. Yep, a fortress or even City walls.

"Ás-gard-ur" the fortress of the Gods (Nordic lore) maid from the teeth of the fyrst giant slain by the gods.

"drápust öll úr vos-búð" means : thay all died from vos-búð

"Búð" can means hapitation of somesort

"Vos" is probebly a place in "Hell" or something of thet sort.

My understanding of the word "vos" is when you are not properly equipt / traind for the tasks comming, and therefore you are likely to suffer a lot, or even die.

So, Vosgaard means basicly to strugle for life, and live agenst conditions you have no hope to figth.

Has anyone other thougths on the topic?

So, Vosgaard means basicly to strugle for life, and live agenst conditions you have no hope to figth.
    Hmm. I had always assumed Vosgaard meant "That place where the Vos live". kind of like England was "That place where the Angles live" or Cumberland was "That place where Cymri live".

Now if you're asking where the name for the Vos themselves, I think you should probably look to russian more than to a nordic language (Assuming the name wasn't just made up), because that seems to be the basis for much of the Vos nomenclature. Plus, its quite possible that the designers knew a fair bit about the old Rus. After all, the mythical first king of the Rus was a norseman named Rurik, and if that name doesn't ring any bells . . .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now if you're asking where the name for the Vos themselves, I think you should probably look to russian more than to a nordic language (Assuming the name wasn't just made up), because that seems to be the basis for much of the Vos nomenclature. Plus, its quite possible that the designers knew a fair bit about the old Rus. After all, the mythical first king of the Rus was a norseman named Rurik, and if that name doesn't ring any bells . . .
    Hah hah hah! You think "Vos" wasn't a made-up name? Please..it rings so blatantly "this sounds like a good Slavic/Norse harsh wintry name. Yeah, Vos, that sounds cool. Vosgaard...yeah that sounds cool. And they'll be like the Dark Age Russians, only darker and more bruatal...yeah, cool."

There's a great thread somewhere a ways back about translating the Brecht names into German...some of the translations were pretty friggin hilarious, and blatantly exposed the BR creators' ignorance of German on any level below the surface. I think you'll find this holds even more true for the Vos, which I suspect the creators knew less about in terms of grounded historical and linguistic resaearch than any of the other BR cultures. I'd even bet money on it...do you think it a coincidence that they're located way out on the fringe, furthest from Anuire (the original core BR setting around which most of the rest of the campaign world was created/centered).

Osprey

Thread Information