Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for your wonderful replies, everyone.

I really like all of your ideas, and I already pulled the "superior masterwork" item out of my hat.

We're just using Cerilia as a setting for this adventure, so I won't be awarding things usable in domain-level play, though I have another campaign going that is domain-level, and I will certainly consider this idea!

Can anyone recommend a good list of alternate materials that doesn't seem too fantastic? IIRC Magic of Faerun has a few, but I can't remember if they would be goofy for BR or fit right in. I'll check it.

Keys, maps... heh, especially like that idea. Base cost increase for magical items... I'm going to try that out, too.

I have one other question for you guys, too. What do your PCs spend their money on in low-magic campaigns, if they aren't using it to craft or buy magical items very much? I'm not too keen on hirelings (we have a few RPCs come and go, but that's about it) but I'm just wondering. Of course if I keep their earnings low it doesn't matter as much.

Thanks again for all your input, the people on this board are so smart...
    Carpe DM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by camelotcrusade+Jun 14 2004, 02:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (camelotcrusade &#064; Jun 14 2004, 02:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Thanks for your wonderful replies, everyone.[/b]
    You&#39;re welcome. ^_^

Originally posted by camelotcrusade@Jun 14 2004, 02:23 PM
    We&#39;re just using Cerilia as a setting for this adventure, so I won&#39;t be awarding things usable in domain-level play, though I have another campaign going that is domain-level, and I will certainly consider this idea&#33;
    Which idea are you refering to, exactly?

Originally posted by camelotcrusade@Jun 14 2004, 02:23 PM
    I have one other question for you guys, too. What do your PCs spend their money on in low-magic campaigns, if they aren&#39;t using it to craft or buy magical items very much? I&#39;m not too keen on hirelings (we have a few RPCs come and go, but that&#39;s about it) but I&#39;m just wondering. Of course if I keep their earnings low it doesn&#39;t matter as much.
    I wouldn&#39;t know, really. My players have the same problem; they don&#39;t quite know what to spend their character&#39;s cash on. Unfortunately, I can&#39;t think of anything either.
    Does anyone have any good suggestions? We also do not play at the realm level; just at the adventure level, for now.

<!--QuoteBegin-camelotcrusade
    @Jun 14 2004, 02:23 PM
    Thanks again for all your input, the people on this board are so smart... [/quote]Flattery will get you everywhere.
    <span style='color:darkgray'>&quot;I like to be passionate and sincere, but I also like to have fun and act like a dork... Geeks unite.&quot;
    &#160;</span>&#160;<span style='color:brightgray'>&#160;&#160;—Kurt Cobain</span>

Downloads
    Uploads
    I suppose that repairing a masterwork item in a blacksmith would be quite expensive?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Money is power, so long as people agree upon the value of your wealth.

You, the DM, shouldn&#39;t have to be turning cartwheels to help players figure out how to spend their money. Players should run their characters asking that very question: "Now that I seem to be rather well-off after some rather lucrative adventuring, what do I do with it all?"

What to do with one&#39;s wealth is as valid a question in a medieval world as it is ttoday. And a really good roleplaying theme, if you ask me. Lots of juicy moral and ethical dilemmas in there (potentially), and that aside, lots of possibilities.

Wealth gives options. Didn&#39;t you always want a nice house to live in? Heck, maybe a small manor and manse in the country? Ah, but surely others will hear of the wealthy adventurers moving out here, and surely they must stash all their loot there...

Make sure you know where your PC&#39;s stash their loot. People with lots of money have big targets on their heads, especially "new money."

In general, great wealth means a chance to affect society. While you don&#39;t have to play BR on a domain level, I wonder how you can entirely ignore the domain level when it&#39;s sitting right there, just asking to be involved...

Higher-level PC&#39;s with lots of money are unavoidably going to become people of power and consequence. The more their fame and wealth grow, the more their actions will ripple through the fabric of society and have broader consequences - whether they wish it or not. Good-aligned characters should then feel a degree of responsibility to be careful with that wealth and power. Evil ones might see the opportunity to start building their own little kingdom, or trade empire, or just have a really paranoid, trap-ridden hideout for their goods. ( You want &#39;em to blow money, just have them start detailing the cost of a few sophisticated traps and structures to protect their treasure&#33;

Also: don&#39;t forget nobles looking for loans (at interest, probably) or traders/ merchants looking for investors. Might be interesting to have the characters get talked into throwing their money into a risky but potentially &#39;big gain&#39; speculative venture. And if the goods don&#39;t get there (or back), the PC&#39;s might have an adventure tracking down where their money went. Which could mean a crooked merchant who took the money and ran, an earnest trader who fell afoul of a hostile reception or was waylaid...what if it was the return voyage, laden with a wealth of foreign cargo, was pirated or redirected (perhaps by a mind-influencing villain???).

&#39;What to do with the money&#39; has a wealth of story potential.

Osprey

Downloads
    Uploads
    The d20 campaign setting Midnight offers herbal concoctions, i.e. drugs as another possible treasure for low-magic campaigns. In essence, these function like potions, but are non-magical and difficult to prepare. Generally, they also have side-effects. For instance, a herbal brew might make the user more aware of his surroundings (+2 to Spot and listen), but might make it difficult for him to concentrate (-2 to Concentration checks and will saves). Things like this could logically be found in the hands of orog or goblin shamans, for example and constitute a part of the treasure the PCs might find.

BtW, Midnight also uses a system similar to blood abilities called Heroic Paths that might be worth checking out.

With regard to spending gold, there are numerous possibilities, but these largely depend on the kind of game you and your players like to have.

A few examples:

Buy a tavern or Inn. That`s what every character in the Forgotten Realms seems to do with his money, judging from the number of taverns managed by former adventurerers. So next time, you head to a bar on a Friday night, be nice to the barkeep - you might be talking to a 10th lvl Barbarian.

This option would give the PCs a base of operations, but it could also tie them to one area, which might not be what you want.

Aside from hirelings, you could also use sages or seers to provide valuable clues for a reasonable fee.

Buy into a merchant venture. In a game I ran several years ago the PCs met a captain and ship owner down on his luck. They helped him and purchased several shares of his ship. This drained nearly all their monetary resources, but in return they would receive their share of the gains every season or so. They could draw upon this money in several larger cities along the regular route of the ship. In Alamie this could be a river trader or an overland caravan master. This option can also provide a springboard for future adventures (e.g. a caravan is missing due to bandits and the PCs investment is endangered).
    "The empire, long divided, must unite; long united, must divide. Thus it has ever been."
    - The Three Kingdoms, attributed to Luo Guanzhong, c.1330-c.1400

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay&#33; Filling up with ideas now...

Falcon, I was referring to awarding regency points, sorry for not clarifying.

I especially like the suggestion about paying for a seer or sage, as we like to keep things rather open-ended in my campaigns, and having a place to go when the pace is slow can be just the thing... in moderation of course.

Make sure I know where the PCs keep their money... heheh... if I were your PC, I&#39;d be afraid of you. Thanks for this idea&#33; We never really bothered with that sort of thing before, just going with the "invisible pack mule" model. I&#39;ll have to get on that pronto. I need to print this thread and stick it in my binder so I don&#39;t forget this stuff...

I have to wonder what it must be like to play a game with you people as DMs. Still, I don&#39;t want to come across as completely helpless... I have my own ideas on these topics, but I&#39;ve been coming here long enough to know yours are too good not to be heard. My forte is interesting combat and RPing gods and avatars (in FR, anyway...).
    Carpe DM

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, then, two things:
    • Especially f you have arcane spellcasters in your group, or bards, or anything else that might have the potential of ganging up (divine spellcasters being my favourite), have them sign-up in any such group, from a church, to a guild, maybe even a bardic college&#33; They offer a lot of potential for money paying, roleplaying, and they do work&#33;
    • Secondly, henchmen are good investments, especially if you have the Leadership feat; if you don&#39;t have it, however, you may use the values presented in the Arms and Equipment Guide and have them offer pay to a sage, parchmenter, or whatever&#33;

Downloads
    Uploads
    Make sure I know where the PCs keep their money... heheh... if I were your PC, I&#39;d be afraid of you.
    Heh heh, yeah, I keep &#39;em on their toes. Never everything at once, but there&#39;s always one or a few things tweakin their rythms. Paranoia is an excellent training tool for quality regents.

There&#39;s a halfling arcane trickster PC, Alec, in my current party who bought himself a small row home in the Imperial City. We spent about 2-3 hours designing traps and security measures for the place. All so he could have a safehouse and safe place to stash his goods. Of course, being a professional burglar, he has good reason to be paranoid...but let&#39;s just say "layered defenses" took on a whole new meaning.

The best one was a needle trap on the front door with potent paralytic poison and an audible Alarm spell. The would-be burglar would get frozen in the act while the city watch came running to the scene&#33; Now that was a good little combo - and one of the only non-lethal traps in the place. The inner doors, and secret tunnel to the sewers, were much, much more viscious.

While this is custom-tailored for the PC, you can do similar stuff with a party&#39;s HQ, and it can be a lot of fun to sit down and try to imagine precautions or protections against any imaginable threat. Paranoid brainstorming, refreshing I tell you&#33; Ha hah&#33; :lol:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Additions and corrections posted above; go check them out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    When I want to make a low magic campaign I simply divide the rewards for characters according to how low I want it. For example I divide the exp. reward chart by 10 allowing for less experience rewards for encounters. In the same right I reduce all treasures by this amount, thus limiting excess money and items. This especially works for using Forgotten Realm adventures in a BR campaign because it would take a +5 to +14 magical item to equal a +1 item with this system. Not only is this simple to use but treasure and experience is more appreciated making high level characters something of an accomplishment instead of a few easy adventures. Also I believe this system does simplify a lot of the problems of economics and excess of spending for the characters. If not, then you can always increase the cost of things. This is best done with magic in my opinion, because it is rare you can easily justify increased costs from the book costs.

Thread Information