Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Should the mage who summons a unit of Stonecrown Ogres pay for their maintenance while the spell lasts?

Although I had never thought of it till yesterday, it seems to me that he obviously has to pay... The units are not magical in nature, so they would need food to sustain themselves.

Downloads
    Uploads
    perhaps thay migth be willing to pillage for there uppkeep.

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, in the BRCS, the monsters summoned are magical I believe. Thus no maintenance.

With regerd to summoning creatures, I generally rule in my campaigns that a maintenance cost is required for any unit present at the start of the domain turn. If they are summoned creatures, I'd think that cost would be the same as if they were fighting for a member of their own race/allied race.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think any summoned magical creatures are thaumivores, i.e., they require magical energy to stay manifested in the physical world. Thus, it shouldn't be GB but RP required to sustain them. Now if the Rp was mebhaighl shaped into "shadow coins" or food or some such, that would be OK as a flavor element, but the RP should be what is spent to keep em around.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In the 2nd edition rulebooks, the creatures summoned with the realm spell are not magical in nature, but perfectly mundane... So I don't think that we are justified to say that they would only require magical energies and not actual food.

If we rely on pillage, as Teloft said, then if a ergent summons the units to help him protect himself, he will end up with his own provinces being pillaged and that's not a good thing

If in the BRCS the units are magical, then it's different, but I am hosting a PBEM using the 2nd ed rules, so I cannot rely on it

Downloads
    Uploads
    I could think of thees summons as some kind of lure, thet would make the unit think of you as a somone thay are willing to figth for. then they migth travel to your realm by normal means, (for lower spell level) or could be magicaly transported.

not like summond creatures, thay are totaly real in this world, and when thay die, they truely die.

Acording to the BRCS, the Summon Monstrous Unit says that, "you conjuer terrible monsters to come forth and do battle on the world of Cerillia. These monsters are quasi-real seemings -- life-like manifistations of the casters imagination... any summoned monster slain fades into nothingness. All members of a unit generally fade into nonthingness whenever a summoned unit is disbanded... Freed units are not under the caster's control and immediately fall into the normal behavior for their monster type. These monsters have normal statistics and can be slain as normal members of their species, but they cannont age or reproduce. They are outsiders..."

Well... that basically shows the monsters summoned are of the seeming and not real. As such, they would not need food or water, as they are not real.

However, for natures ally... those are real animals, except for the higher level version, which animates the trees. So the animals probably would need to be fed and taken care of, though I dont think the trees would really as they can just plant themselves while they wait for orders.
    "Who was the first that forged the deadly blade? Of rugged steel his savage soul was made." --Tibullus

"Qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum." --Vegetius

"Men grow tired of sleep, love, singing and dancing sooner than war." --Homer

Downloads
    Uploads
    Except that items from the seeming are indeed real. The seeming is just constantly changing (i.e., the shadow world) and everything is exactly as it appears (see Bloodspawn for references to this).
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bloodspawn: So I could mate up with one of them and we could reproduce?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by teloft@Jun 9 2004, 04:42 PM
    Bloodspawn: So I could mate up with one of them and we could reproduce?
    Yes, but things constantly change so you never know what you'd wake up with :lol:
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information