Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    [COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue]
    I think that something that also should be taken into account is location. If the party includes non-Khinasi and Khinasi wizards and adventures in non-Khinasi lands, then I believe that the arguments above regarding the BoM hold true, and there shouldn't be an obligation to kill the party member.

However, if the party adventures in Khinasi, then there is the "when in Rome" factor, and the non-Khinasi characters would be politely asked to make the journey to the ToR, refusal would leave them with the option of going back home or be hunted down.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As I do not have teh BoM, what are the 5 Oaths, word for word? (I am entering a situation where my knowledge of them could be pivotal)
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion -- and usually easier."

- R. A. Heinlien, from The Collected works of Lazarus Long

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unless they've changed/been updated, or there's another work out there that's more in-depth, here's the Five Oaths from the BoM.

* To obey the commands of the lawful ruler of the state.
    * To preserve and protect all knowledge.
    * To never raise a hand against another mage sworn to the oaths, except as commanded by the liege in lawful war.
    * Never to use magic to raise or communicate with the dead.
    * To destroy any wielder of true magic who does not abide by these oaths.

Downloads
    Uploads
    thx!
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion -- and usually easier."

- R. A. Heinlien, from The Collected works of Lazarus Long

Downloads
    Uploads
    They are also on pgs 54-55 of the BRCS-playtest
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think that most Khinasi Wizards are wise and diplomatic and therefore they will accept the interests and customs of different cultures.
    my purpose is now to lead you into the Pallace where you shall have a clear and delightful view of all those various objects, and scattered excellencies, that lye up and down upon the face of creation, which are only seen by those that go down into the Seas, and by no other....

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also think they are snobish and superior so they will think that other cultures are just 'inferior' and shouldn't be kept to the same standards as are the 'civilized' people (i.e., Khinasi). But it would be just bad Sayim to point that out to them.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    The question is, how binding these oaths are. I tended to see them as the three oaths binding Aes Sedai in Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" series. If that is so, than Wizards cannot "turn off" their oaths, and they will have to act upon the 5th oath.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by anacreon@Jun 10 2004, 12:27 AM
    The question is, how binding these oaths are. I tended to see them as the three oaths binding Aes Sedai in Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" series. If that is so, than Wizards cannot "turn off" their oaths, and they will have to act upon the 5th oath.
    The oaths are ultimately binding - that is any who swear to them (at the temple of Rilni) can not go against them.

Having said that they are always subject to interpretation. The oaths are a Khinasi item, only brought up in relation to Khinasi and a very strong connection to Sayim can be seen between the two.

As interpretation goes - if the 10 commandments were considered the equivalent of the 5 oaths what exactly do they mean? For example, where exactly is the line for coveting and admiring drawn?

No matter how you cut it it will always be a matter of DM interpretation on this one - there can be no difinite answer here only opinions.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a understanding of the oaths thet can be healpfull to a DM using them, where he dos not want the Khinasi NPC wisard to attack his players.

3rd * To never raise a hand against another mage sworn to the oaths, except as commanded by the liege in lawful war.

5th * To destroy any wielder of true magic who does not abide by these oaths.

.. So in combonation, a mage would not know wether the player is sworn or not exept fyrst consulting the temple, no mater what the player migth say about it. So in order for the mage to be willing to act upon the 5th oath he must fyrst consult the temple. Some wisards migth even opt to jurney on foot to the temple in order to consult the temple.

Thread Information