View Poll Results: How should RP be gained?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1) Using a skill-based system (see BRCS-playtest for an example)

13 61.90%
  • 2) Using a class-based system (see the 2nd ed BRRB for 2nd ed style example)

6 28.57%
  • 3) Something else (Please specify)

2 9.52%
  • 4) Abstain (or I don't really care)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This poll is to get an idea of how to handle RP collection. This is so that we can focus our energies on the method that is preferred instead of dividing them amongst mutiple options. The two choices - skill-based and class-based are just to determine systems, not the specific mechanics. There is a lot of discussion/suggestions for different variations contained in the following thread:

http://www.birthright.net/forums/ind...showtopic=2554

CAUTION: Do not null your vote in order to check out the results. If you do you will indeed be able to view the results (so far) but will not be able to vote.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tough choice, but I voted for something else. I think class system should be used as a cap for gaining regency from different holding types. In order to reach that cap though ranks in certain skills would still be required. This helps even out the proces so that bards and rogues aren't dominant, yet still keeps it realistic by making more experienced rulers also be more effective rulers.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I voted for the skill based system, as I think that works well. It forces players to make a choice about how good a regent they are going to be, by gaining ranks in the required skills.

The system may need some tweeking though.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by irdeggman@May 13 2004, 01:11 AM
    CAUTION: Do not null your vote in order to check out the results. If you do you will indeed be able to view the results (so far) but will not be able to vote.
    If one really have to look at the poll results before one votes, simply log off, check the vote, and log back on again to vote.

Personally I think the skill based collection rules would be most usefull in small games where the GM can manage to keep track of things. I think the BRCS should be easily usable for all games, so voted for class based.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Don E@May 13 2004, 02:44 AM
    If one really have to look at the poll results before one votes, simply log off, check the vote, and log back on again to vote.
    But - you can't view the results unless you either cast a vote or choose null vote, in either case you can't change your vote, it's tied to your login ID.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Let's see so far we have 2 votes for something else but only one person posted what that something else should be.

We need specifics here, vagueness doesn't help neither does an uncommented "something else" vote or something along the lines of "bring me another rock".
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am one of the few that voted for class-based system as printed for 2E. I think it is simple, quick, and easy. I like those aspects.

However, I do like the BRCS way of needing skills to collect full RP. That makes sense, in a way. More complicated, but makes sense.

So maybe a combination of the two? Certain classes can only ever gain RP from certain holdings. What amount they can get from the holdings allowed, though, is skill based.

Maybe that's how it is written in 3E book already - I am not that familiar with it, so please don't scorn my ignorance if I'm just repeating something.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by irdeggman@May 13 2004, 10:53 AM
    But - you can't view the results unless you either cast a vote or choose null vote, in either case you can't change your vote, it's tied to your login ID.
    Hence why you log out. When you view the boards as a guest the poll results show, but you cannot vote. Have a look, then log back on to cast yout vote.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Won't that invalidate the poll results then, making it possible for one person who wanted to push the results in a certain direction to keep voting for their favourite option as a guest?

I would asssume that the voting is logged by IP, not account activity, but I don't feel like testing it out.
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion -- and usually easier."

- R. A. Heinlien, from The Collected works of Lazarus Long

Downloads
    Uploads
    Only members can actually cast a vote, but I believe guests are allowed to view the poll results. However, I think it rather defeats the purpose of the entire system of polls/voting to view what others are voting for before casting your own vote. Rather like democracy by show of hands instead of closed ballot. This system was obviously intended to be closed ballot.

Osprey

Thread Information