Downloads
    Uploads
    Heyas all,

My group is starting a new birthright campaign and we aren't sure where were going to start, but we all agreed it won't be vosguard (heh..heh... O.o). This time our regent for the last two games (he was a fighter type both times) is going to be the DM and I voluntured to be a regent or at least one of the regents in the party. However, this comes wirh a question. Which class in birthright makes the best regent?

I can see the obvious advanages from our previous games... but I think we're going to be much more domain focused then adventure since we been more of the adventure the last two times and my character will have the love of conquering.

So what class would be the best and what bloodline traits would be the ebest to assist in rulership?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thae answer would depend on a few factors.

1: What style of play do you enjoy? Sneaky? Espionage-based? Merchantile empire? the Pious leader of a Theocracy? A mysterious mage who rules the realm as well?

2: The game setting. Brechtur will have a different outlook on who would make the best leader than say the Khinasi, or the Anuireans, or the Rjurik.

3: What does the DM feel like running and focusing on? Heroic adventuring, political maneuvering at the Domain scale or something inbetween?

4: Is the DM unwilling to deal with the pitfalls and idiosyncracies of particular classes?

The field is so wide open that we cannot make any recommendations.

-M
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion -- and usually easier."

- R. A. Heinlien, from The Collected works of Lazarus Long

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you playing 2nd ed or the BRCS material? This also has a major determination of the effectiveness of a certain class.

In general the breakdown works like this (IMO):

Thieves (2nd ed)/rogues are the bankers and control the economy - no regent can effectively run an empire without the backing of at least some guilder regents
    Priests/clerics are the keepers of the faith and control the morale of the domain - again it is very difficult for a regent to run an empire without the backing of a church
    Fighters control the law and troops - it is impossible to run an empire without a large military and a realm regent that relies on the support of fighter regents to support him is generally asking to have a coup to take over. An effective emperer needs to control his troops directly
    Wizards give the magic support to defend a realm or to extend it through war/ attrition - while a regent can run an empire without the backing of a wizard, it is much easier to have the support of one, wspeciallly ifones enemies do
    Rangers and bards generally make poor regents because of their lack of focus on any subject.

Wizards make poor realm regents but good unlanded ones.

Any of the other three can make good realm regents depending on what the aspect of the game being run is. More entrige - use a thief/rogue, more war/military oriented - use a fighter, more diplomacy - reasonable amount of intrige (due to church politics) - use a cleric.

Clerics can have a difficult time because in order to be effective rulers they must proslytize and shut down opposing religions/sects of their own deity.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks a lot for the imput.. as for the information that I'm sorry that I left out

I think it'll be focus on what the players what to do. I like to conquer and take over things then turn them into good income. I rather either kill them on the battle fields or directly as a adventure. We're using 3.0 rules with some 3.5 rules... so the manuals that are based on 3.0.

As you're in 3.0 and if you want to be a landed regent, noble is a better class than fighter
    "Who was the first that forged the deadly blade? Of rugged steel his savage soul was made." --Tibullus

"Qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum." --Vegetius

"Men grow tired of sleep, love, singing and dancing sooner than war." --Homer

Downloads
    Uploads
    If your DM lets Rangers have Warcraft and Lead as class skills, Rangers and Paladins can make decent landed regents under the BRCS ruleset, if you're looking for something less typical than a straight Fighter or even Noble. Though I think the Nobles are quite fun to play if you want the charismatic leader type. Rangers are fun because of their athletic, alertness, wilderness, and stealth skills, but the domain has to be reasonably appropriate for it to work (Dhoesone and Aerenwe are probably the 2 best realms in Anuire for Ranger regents).

Downloads
    Uploads
    > I bleive it`ll be focus on what the players what to do. I like to

> conquer and take over things then turn them into good income. I rather

> either kill them on the battle fields or directly as a adventure. We`re

> using 3.0 rules with some 3.5 rules... so the manuals that are based on

> 3.0.

I recommend a cleric. It`s a versatile class for adventuring and at the

domain level you may start out small (easier to defend) plus you can

recruit knights, cast realm spells, and earn a nice sum of cash each

domain turn.

--Lord Rahvin
    NOTE: Messages posted by Birthright-L are automatically inserted posts originating from the mailing list linked to the forum.

Thread Information