Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Ah. That makes sense then. Did that appear in the FAQ anywhere? (Some of the threads tend to lose their topical nature along the way )

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Bearcat@Jun 17 2004, 12:40 PM
    Ah. That makes sense then. Did that appear in the FAQ anywhere? (Some of the threads tend to lose their topical nature along the way )
    Actually I'm not certain if it was specifically brought up or not. There were other scion class proposals - Lord Rhavin specifically had some, but they were regular class style (i.e., 20 levels). So this was one of the considerations when makint the present version.

And yes I've noticed our propensity to drift from the main topic as we proceed down any discussion.
    Duane Eggert

I think I get it now (correct me if I'm wrong).

The scion classes are like miniature mutant prestige classes. Prestige classes because of the prerequisites for level taking, but different because they can be taken at character generation. They are sort of like offshoots of the Noble Class in that they prepare a character for regency, rulership or at least high society. They do this by allowing the character, not to increase their bloodline score, but to tap their innate potential which was previously unused. The skills, feats and HD are derived from their preparation for rulership (as per the noble class example above), and not from a Savage Species-like progression of bigger meaner monsters (i.e. its not racial or derived from the bloodlines themselves, but based on other efforts, which are merely guided by the tendencies of the bloodline derivation). All this meaning that they are a blend of three different class concepts (moster as the original basis, prestige, and template).

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think the scion classes are so much about training for rulership as they are about tapping the inner power of one's bloodline. If you notice, every single aspect of the scion classes is based on derivation. So a major scion of Brenna takes one level of Scion of Brenna, they focus on exploring their divine power and connection ot Brenna's essence. What does this mean? Faster reflexes, an affinity for roguish skills, a bit more endurance (hp), a boost to one's Leadership as the divine power within becomes apparent to everyone without, and most especially, Major blood powers of Brenna become available.

See the connection? By tapping into one's divine power and exploring its full potential,a scion does become better prepared to be a ruler, but this need have nothing to do with the sort of training a noble recieves. Did you notice Administrate as a designated class skill for any of the scion classes? Yeah, me neither. Every skill is appropriate to the bloodline derivation, not to being regents in general. There will be numerous scions who are not regents, and many of those will never be regents either. But there's no reason they can't be strong leaders and potent adversaries in general, especially as they develop the more powerful blood abilities.

Osprey

I see I didn't express my idea as much as I could have. The idea was that the abilities gained are not derived from the bloodline itself, but by focused training guided by the bloodline (Giving in to the urges of one's blood in kind of the same way Awnsheghlien do). To me the distinction is important to me because the skills, hp and feats were derived from the bloodline that would mean they were essentially extra bloodabilities. If they are derived from training then they are representative of character experience and growth. To me at least (this isn't addressed in the chapter) this also means that if a scion is Divested they are allowed to keep their HP, skills, and feats from the class.

Downloads
    Uploads
    By George I think he's got it.

Yes Bearcat that is a pretty good way of looking at it.
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information