View Poll Results: How do you think should Shadowdancer be included in a BR setting?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • As is. No reason to change anything already just fine.

3 14.29%
  • As is. A few issues exist, but that's not a problem...

1 4.76%
  • A little bit of this and that and "Voila!", he is OK.

2 9.52%
  • Make him a spell-caster.

0 0%
  • Make him a halfling.

7 33.33%
  • Make him less flamboyant.

1 4.76%
  • Change the Summon Shadow ability.

2 9.52%
  • Change the Shadow Jump ability.

0 0%
  • Scrap the class; it doesn't fit!

5 23.81%
  • Anything else [please, post remark].

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads
    After starting that thread concerning FR and Shadow material from it and GH, I early found myself with a serious dilemma: how should I rewrite the Shadow-dancer?

In my eyes, there is no issue whether he should be rewritten; that is a given. However, I want to hear any ideas you people have before I make my next step; sorry if starting polls without permission is not allowed, since I haven't noticed it being so.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am making this post to (literaly) attract your attention.

I know you may well not be interested, but I beg of you to make the effort and post soem remarks on the whole subject! I have a few ideas, but I need some basis before I present anything here; I know I could easilly make a write-up by changing the various abilities and stuff, but I want to make something people will be able to adapt to their liking with little problem or hesitation.

heheh, I already put my vote in Rasp, for halflings only.

Regarding the Summon Shadow ability:
    As shadows are normally CE in the Monsters Manual, and shadowdancers were able to summon shadows that were their own allignment (thus possibly geting LG shadows) it doesnt seem impossible for them to summon them in BR with the same allignment. However, I would recomend offering a good explanation for it, because currently they have none in the prestiege class description. A possiblity is that the shadow they summon is really the spirit of an ancestor.
    "Who was the first that forged the deadly blade? Of rugged steel his savage soul was made." --Tibullus

"Qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum." --Vegetius

"Men grow tired of sleep, love, singing and dancing sooner than war." --Homer

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll take that into account: Halfling and Change Summon Shadow.

If I make him a halfling, the question of what would then be done is simple: Shadow-walker and other similar feats should be granted if you ask me, and the Summon Shadow ability would become Summon Ancestor Shadow (Great idea, really! ), which would summon help in the form of one of the halfling's long deceased family members. This is also thematically fitting, since halflings not only tranversed the Shadow World, they also had ties with the Shadow World in the past that would explain ancestral souls in shadow form helping them.

looks cool glad to help
    "Who was the first that forged the deadly blade? Of rugged steel his savage soul was made." --Tibullus

Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally, I don`t care for the SD`s ability to "teleport" through shadow

in relation to BR. It`s a little hokey in any setting, but in BR it seems

innappropriate to have it be the ability of a character class. As a blood

ability it makes a bit more sense, since that`s one of the thematic roles of

the setting (and is pretty much the catch-all exception to all rules in BR)

but as a class ability? Not so much.

It`s important to bear in mind that the SW (or the Plane of Shadow in 3e

MotP terms) is used a little differently in the campaign setting. Passing

into the SW is more of a one-way ticket. Sure, one can come back, but it

doesn`t have the same dimensional, time/space manipulation role that the

planes do in other settings. The SW is more of a dark or warped reflection

of the world of light. Using it for instantaneous transport strikes me as

incompatable.

There is, however, the Travel blood ability which might be equated in some

sense. At least, I`ve done a little something like that myself in my

system. It seems to work (and doesn`t have the thematic issue) when

incorporated that way.

IMO Shadows (the creatures) should also remain definitively evil in BR given

the opposing role of the SW and the way creatures like Shadows spawn from

it. One could assume the Shadows were created by the extraordinary power of

the SD, of course, but what I`m suggesting is that a non-Shadow World based

shadow would kind of miss the point.

There could, however, be some sort of prestige class that was somewhat

similar to the SD for the BR setting, but I don`t think SD really works.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry for the problem in presenting the material here, Gary. The main issue I run this poll is based on the fact I had a roguish halfling prestige class in mind which grants its follower abilities through bonus feats (Shadow Jump becoming Shadow Walker, etc.) from the start. My main problem was the Summon Shadow ability, but the whole idea as presented by Tcharazazel could work; maybe not calling them Shadows? Whatever...

In any case, I am thinking of calling the class the Shadow Traversor for obvious reasons. The current idea I have in mind is:
    • He must be a survivalistic halfling.
    • He gets a better Hit Die for obvious reasons: d8.
    • Is granted Shadow-related feats as bonus feats.
    • Has high Fortitude and Reflex base saves.
    • He gets a roguish BAB.
    • No spell-casting.
    • He gains the spell-like ability to make a summons for help to his dead ancestors whose spirits come to aid him; an appropriate name should be given, but they would count as incorporeal undead in any case of the summoners alignment. I insist on this ability on a moral basis (the fact that halflings moved out of the Shaodw World means that their dead are still burried there&#33, so I don't think I will be backed off easilly on that point; thank you, Tcharazazel, for a wonderful idea that brought much inspiration!

Glad to help ya rasp

mayb the Shadow dancer could get those Shadow Walker type feats every level that he would have normally gotten the step in shadows abilities? I bet thats what you were planning

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was actually looking for a mechanic to implement the way he would be getting those feats... What you suggest coud be best, by I will have to check it out before agreeing to such a suggestion, however cool it sounds.

Again, your help, Gary and T'Char Azazel, is invaluable.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My take on the halflings is that desipte their connection with what the humans in Cerilia call the Shadow World, the halflings have no special powers when it comes to shadows. The place the halflings come from is described as a pleasant place, with the encroachment of the Shadow as a relatively recent phenomneon, and one which the halflings have fled. The ability to pass into the Shadow World is not because of an affinity to shadows, but an affinity to their own home world.

And why does halflings detect evil, undead and necromancy? While the detect evil is a dodgy issue, the other two I see as a result of the halflings noticing the relevant phenomenon being powered by something on their home world, not due to its inherent 'badness' or it being related to anything with shadows. IMC I would allow them to have similar capabilities with regards to anything connected to their home world, be it spells powered by the encroaching shadow or anything else.

My 2 coppers.
    Cheers,
    E

Thread Information