Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well now that I'm not quite as busy at work as I have been (well, ok I worked for 11+ hours on friday, but I have a holiday on monday) I have begun a revision of chapter 7. I've already given some of the flavour text a working over, but would like some comments and suggestion on what people would like to see changed added...

Here are a few things already slated for addition (suggestion on additional material needed welcome)....

- More of the info from Book of Magecraft on sources and leylines, + EXAMPLES!!
    - New realm spells (I'll post info on these before finalising the revision)
    - Random tables for determining NPC or PC realm spells known OR, at the very least a list of all the spells before their descriptions. Very useful as anyone who is looking up spells for their spellcaster knows.
    - Expanding the info on magic potential to include info on restoring magic potential and so forth.

Things I'm tossing up changing. (Comments welcome)....

- Limited to 1 realm spell known/caster level (so max of 20 realm spells for a 20th level character). Sorcerers gain a realm spell/level, wizards and other classes must research their realm spells (sorcerers find it easier to tap into the mebhaighl to cast these spells).
    - Change descriptions to make them easier to read (i.e. similar to old system, with just Level, Regency, Gold, Required Holding, and Duration.
    - Change spells to link to caster level, not spell level. Spellcasters cannot learn or cast spells higher than their caster level.
    - Balance changes to some spell (comment really wanted here!!!&#33
    - More to be decided later.

I'll bring you up to date with more info shortly, as it comes to hand so to speak.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is an example of the new format used for Realm spells.

Abundant Harvest
    (Transmutation)

Caster Level: Divine [Erik, Sera] 2
    Gold: 1 GB
    Regency: 4 RP/province
    Duration: 1 month
    Required Holding: Temple 2

With this spell, the priest can call on her deity to grant the people of a province an additional harvest for a single season. The spell affects the growth of any grains, fruit trees, or vegetables, and these crops mature and ripen in the space of only one to two weeks, instead of months.
    This abundant harvest can either alleviate a famine, or be used to increase the taxation income of the province. Any province under the effect of this spell produces additional tax monies equal to half its normal seasonal collection (rounded down). All regents who would normally collect an income from the affected province gain this benefit.
    For every four levels of experience, the caster can affect one additional province, although she must have at least a level 2 temple holding in each of the provinces affected. This spell can only be cast during the spring months, and no more than once per year.

The new format contains basically the same information, but I've made it simpler to make it easier to read. There is no reason why realm spells have to be in the same format as normal spells. Certainly no reason to include Target, Saving Throw, or Spell resistance as those values are almost identical for every realm spell, a simple covering paragraph at the start of the descriptions can replace that information and anything out of the ordinary can go in the spell's description. Having a different format for realm spell descriptions also helps to underline that they are very different and don't follow the same rules as normal spells.

By the way, this is one of the new spell I have planned for addition to the BRCS. I have another 25-30 more. Most are priest, or rather specific to one god (like this), but I have a few new arcane ones as well. I plan to release the whole list for comments and editing before finalising it, I just have to finish writing the descriptions first. After quite a lot of work over the past 2 days, I've added in another 18 pages of information (although it might end up less than this after trimming some of the spell descriptions and reformatting).

I really like the new spell descriptions. They look really good I'm really interested in finding out what those other new deity specific realm spells are too.

Also just curious, arent most famines in the summer or fall? (if theyre in winter then they would just have to wait a season)

So as the spell can only be cast in spring (which makes sense as thats when the harvest is planted generally) Maybe the benefit of the added revenues can only be gained if the spell is cast in Spring.

However, the benefit of alieving famine would apply once the spell is cast during any season aside from winter? Just curious if that would make some more sense.

Anyway, back to the list for things slated for addition and up for change. I think they all make sense really, however, I dont think that the need for random tables of spells for people to roll for isnt really needed. Heh, people would just argue about the percentage chance that person would be likely to know such and such spell, and then you would have to cinsider that youd have to do it in tiers including al those spells below them along with all spells in that level... way too big a table really. Otherwise, just tell people if they want to make it random just assign each spell a number and roll a die or dice to see what they get. Unless you want to emphasize how common some realm spells are... then I suppose it could make sense to make those random tables... tho they still wouldnt be a lot of fun to make I imagine... good luck in any case.
    "Who was the first that forged the deadly blade? Of rugged steel his savage soul was made." --Tibullus

"Qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum." --Vegetius

"Men grow tired of sleep, love, singing and dancing sooner than war." --Homer

Downloads
    Uploads
    If it was a famine that last for mutiple years then it would make sense, but the main reason I added this spell was because I was thinking of adding another realm spell called Famine So this would be the counter for it...

I'll probably drop the idea of random tables for generating realm spell and just go with a single table that DMs can pick the spells from, makes just as much sense.

As for a list of new deity specific spells, I haven't finished finalising them yet, but there will be at least 1 per deity, perhaps 2 or 3 for some gods.

A very quick list would read...
    Abundent Harvest (Erik/Sera)
    Animal Horde (Erik)
    Avani's Peace (Avani)
    Banish the Shadow
    Blessed Trade (Sera)
    Bless Holding
    Bloodlust (Belinik)
    Communion
    Consecrate Relic
    Conversion
    Cure Plague
    Dead Seas (Nesirie)
    Dishonest Dealings (Eloele)
    Haelyn's Standard (Haelyn)
    Healing Touch
    Holy Crusade (Haelyn, Cuiraecen)
    Laerme's Emisary (Laerme)
    Magical Tithe
    Maintain Armies
    Mebhaighl Touch (Ruornil)
    Mighty Forest (Erik)
    Nesirie's Blessing (Nesirie)
    One True Faith
    Renewal (Arcane/Ruornil)
    Ruornil's Warding (Ruornil)
    Shield Army
    Siege Wall
    Stormlord (Cuiraecen)
    Thieve's Gateway (Eloele)
    True Believer
    Ward Realm
    Winter's Fury (Kriesha)
    + new arcane spells.

Some are new spells, some are old ones omited from the original BRCS. Still considering which to include, and working on others. That this are the one's I've added so far.

OOoo... heheh, I wont ask you what they all are yet as I bet youre busy, though I am really interested in finding out more about the Neserie specific ones you have planned, namely Dead Seas, and Neserie's Blessing. (or is my guess correct that they are like the sea version of abundant harvest and famine?) Or does Dead Seas just prevent all sailing in the sea zones aflicted? heheh, love trying to figure things out especially at this hour... hmm.

one thing though, would you put in any realm spells for the other dieties, like the Cold Rider, or Moradin?
    "Who was the first that forged the deadly blade? Of rugged steel his savage soul was made." --Tibullus

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dead Seas effecivly prevents all sailing through the sea zones adjacent to the province where it's cast. Nesire's Blessing is one of the spell's I've finished, so the description is below...

Nesirie’s Blessing
    (Transmutation)

Caster Level: Divine [Nesirie] 2
    Gold: 2 GB
    Regency: 2 RP/vessel
    Duration: 2 months + 1 month/3 levels
    Required Holding: Temple 4

When victory in war depends on the safe arrival of an invasion fleet, or when a merchant company’s future depend on the success of a trading mission, the favour of the goddess of the sea is vital. Nesirie’s clerics use this spell to protect the fleets of allied merchants and nations.
    The spell calms the oceans in a fleet’s path, ensures favourable winds, and increases each individual ship’s seaworthiness by 25%. While under the protection of this spell, the ships in the fleet will never encounter gale force winds, or be becalmed, and storms will always pass them by.

I have a couple of other spells still under consideration for Belinik, Kriesha, and Moradin, plus some goblin and orog specific ones that may or may not make it in the final version. No plans for realm spells for A... I mean the Cold Rider though His presence on Aebrynis isn't strong enough yet. Priests who worship Awnsheghlien (The Serpent etc) cannot cast realm spells.

Not all of the spells I've listed above will necessarily make it into the final list. Animal Horde is one that is looking fairly shakey at the moment (so much so, that I've stopped working on it for now). It is too similar to Summon Nature's Army...

Very cool, even better that I first thought Thank you for posting the info.

I hope the realm spells for the other gods getts accepted as its rather fitting for them to be included in with the others for the realm spells.

Also, maybe some elf only arcane realm spells? just a thought

One final thing, will these be the only realm spells available, or will you include a methodology to follow to create a realm spell? Like requiring gp, exp, the ability to cast the spell ect. Incase people come up with some other ideas for spells.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nesirie's blessing - I would instead have the spell affect those vessels that are in port at the time of casting. Otherwise the spell affects all vessels regardless of where they are. IMO realm spells should affect only those holdings/provinces that have some connection at the time of casting, e.g., adjacent provinces, sources/provinces connected via leylines, perhaps guilds connected via trade route (but this one could be considered a stretch).

Hence I guess that target is something that needs to be included. It is either a single province/holding or multiples ones and the number should be limited in some manner (either by caster level or requisite holding level (e.g., source level or temple level).

Realm spells while they are supposed to be more powerful than any normal spell are still limited in their effectivness - the caster is still not a deity, only touched by one.

Another thing, I would not include an automatic knowing of realm spells per level. The original BRCS proposal that made a parrallel to how epic spells worked is still (for learning), IMO, a pretty good basis for learning Realm Spells. Even sorcerers and clerics had to learn epic spells.

If one looks at it, a Realm Spell is on the order of an epic spell but the caster doesn't have to be epic level in order to learn/cast it. This is a pretty good similarity to keep in mind.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by tcharazazel@Apr 26 2004, 07:31 PM
    Also, maybe some elf only arcane realm spells? just a thought

One final thing, will these be the only realm spells available, or will you include a methodology to follow to create a realm spell? Like requiring gp, exp, the ability to cast the spell ect. Incase people come up with some other ideas for spells.
    I have a few elf only realm spells I could consider, but I'm unlikely to include them for various reasons.

I'd certainly like to include at least 1 realm spell for each god, including the goblin and non-human gods. Dwarven definitely, the only Goblin realm spell I ever came up with was one to summon an avatar of their god (a gigantic wolf) that I used in one of my pbem games. It didn't require GB or RP though, just sacrifices.

The only spell I'll make available only to priest of the Cold Rider and Azrai is Legion of Dead. Wizards can still cast it, but for various reason I don't think it fits any of the other gods. The other gods do get some cool realm spells, especially Eloele. In general, I'm trying to design the spells to suit each of the god's ethos. In remains to be seen if I am successful or not....

Oh, and I do plan to include some guidelines for designing new realm spells in the chapter. Haven't started on that part though.

Here's another one to discuss.

Avani’s Reason
    (Enchantment)

Caster Level: Divine [Avani] 7
    Gold: 2 GB
    Regency: 3 RP/province level
    Duration: 3 months
    Required Holding: Temple 4

In the light of Avani’s reason warriors will sheath their swords and the shadow will be driven from the heart and minds of her followers. With this spell clerics of Avani can temporarily bring peace and stability to a single province, preventing any aggressive actions or thoughts for its duration.
    A province protected by this spell is unable to be attacked or suffer from any aggressive domain actions such as contest holding, agitate (when used against the regent), and espionage. These actions will all fail when used in a province protected by Avani’s Reason. In addition any diplomacy action seeking a treaty between two nations or individuals will always result in a success if the meeting takes place in the affected province.
    Individuals or regents in the province may attempt to escape its effects by making a successful will save each time they attempt an activity motived by aggression.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nesirie's blessing - I would instead have the spell affect those vessels that are in port at the time of casting. Otherwise the spell affects all vessels regardless of where they are. IMO realm spells should affect only those holdings/provinces that have some connection at the time of casting, e.g., adjacent provinces, sources/provinces connected via leylines, perhaps guilds connected via trade route (but this one could be considered a stretch).
    I has assumed that was what the spell did Guess I do need to spell it out a little better. The affected vessels to have to be in the same province as the spell when it is cast, although they can more later. I wanted to make it a bit like the spells that affect units, but just for ships.

I agree 100% that realm spells can only affect provinces/holdings/units that have a connection with the holding used to power the spell. It wouldn't make sense if someone could just fire them off anywhere.

Hence I guess that target is something that needs to be included. It is either a single province/holding or multiples ones and the number should be limited in some manner (either by caster level or requisite holding level (e.g., source level or temple level).
    I've added this to the bottom of the description...

'This spell can only affect vessels that are docked in the province where it is cast and the caster may bless a maximum of 1 vessel/level.'

This brings it into line with the Battle Bless and companion spells.

By the way, with the spell descriptions I'm trying to go for 1 paragraph of flavour text, 1-2 of description of effects, then 1-2 or rules info and limitations. I also want to cut back on the size of the info at the start of the description (gold, regency, holding required, etc). Primarily to make it easier to read, but also to move away from linking realm spells to standard spells. I dropped target from the description because there are only 4 different target types for realm spells: provinces, holdings, units, or a regent(s). Normal spells have a miriad of different targets and areas of effect.

Another thing, I would not include an automatic knowing of realm spells per level. The original BRCS proposal that made a parrallel to how epic spells worked is still (for learning), IMO, a pretty good basis for learning Realm Spells. Even sorcerers and clerics had to learn epic spells.

If one looks at it, a Realm Spell is on the order of an epic spell but the caster doesn't have to be epic level in order to learn/cast it. This is a pretty good similarity to keep in mind.
    Good point. I was primarily looking to place a limit on the number of known realm spells, especially for sorcerers. Another option I'm tossing about is limited sorcerers to just 9 realms spells, but allowing them to learn them automatically (after spending a domain action to master the spell).

Thread Information