Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey everybody,

I'm designing an incantation (see Unearthed Arcana, pp. 174-178; or alternatively, you could check out the section on incantations in the d20 Modern SRD) for the PCs to enter the Shadow World with. I'm using it as a plot device for this ancient Shadar-Kai (see Fiend Folio) temple the PCs will be entering. The entrance to this underground temple is in the Daylight World, but the temple's inner core is located in the Shadow World. However, the temple is completely inaccessible from the Shadow World. In order to enter the inner core, the PCs will have to venture deep into the Daylight part of the temple and then at right spot perform the incantation so that they can enter the Shadow part of the temple.
    Considering the incantation, this is what I've come up with so far:

Shaefpaete's Shadowy Distinction
    Conjuration (Teleportation)

Effective Level: 6th
    Skill Check: Knowledge (arcana) DC 20, 2 successes; Xxx DC 20, 4 successes
    [DC 30 + 4 (single target to multiple targets) – 2 (close range to touch range) – 2 (10 or fewer secondary casters) – 1 (casting time is restricted) – 1 (requires checks involving more than one skill) – 1 (requires a skill not on wizard class skill list) – 4 (caster infected with disease) – 2 (caster is exhausted) – 1 (backlash affects secondary casters too)]
    Failure: 5d6 points of cold damage to caster
    Components: V, S, M, SC, B
    Casting Time: 60 minutes [10 minutes between checks]
    Range: Touch
    Targets: Caster plus three to eight other creatures
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless) (DC 16 + caster's Cha modifier)
    Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Material Component: Xxx.
    Backlash: The caster and all secondary casters are exhausted and infected with cackle fever (infection inhaleed, DC 16, incubation 1 day, damage 1d6 Wis; DMG, p. 292).
    Extra Casters: Three required; xxx.

I just borrowed the name from a 2e Br spell. I'm sure someone could come up with something better...
    Anyhow, it's loosely based on the Hrothgar's Journey (UA p. 177).
    What other skill checks besides Knowledge (arcana) should this incantation use? Hrothgar's Journey uses Perform (oratory), but I think that's hardly appropriate for this incantation. I need a skill that's not on the wizard class skill list and that would sort of make sense to use in an incantation.
    I was thinking maybe of Heal to disect a dead creature and sacrifice its parts or maybe tap blood from the caster or something like that. Does anyone have any other (perhaps better) suggestions?
    I'm also still mulling over the material components. It should not require an expensive material component. Hrothgar's Journey requires a windowless, thatched hut in a forest as the (inexpensive) material component.
    I'm also not sure yet what the extra caster should be doing. I suppose that depends a bit on what kind of skill checks the incantation requires.
    As for the restricted casting time, I've decided that you can only cast it at night, when there is not a full moon. Also, the incantation has to be cast completely out of sight of the moon or moonlight. How does that sound?
    Oh, and does anyone perhaps have any better ideas for the failure result?

Any and all comments and suggestions appreciated.
    <span style='color:darkgray'>&quot;I like to be passionate and sincere, but I also like to have fun and act like a dork... Geeks unite.&quot;
    &#160;</span>&#160;<span style='color:brightgray'>&#160;&#160;—Kurt Cobain</span>

Downloads
    Uploads
    Given the several lines you give to the moon, you might consider Astronomy

or Astrology as a neccesary skill.

Kenneth Gauck

kgauck@mchsi.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by kgauck@Apr 12 2004, 03:40 AM
    Given the several lines you give to the moon, you might consider Astronomy

or Astrology as a neccesary skill.
    Right. The only problem, however, is that I&#39;m looking for a skill that is not on the wizard skill list. As all Profession skills are, Profession (astrologer) & (astronomer) are too.
    I see that I forgot to mention explicitly that I&#39;m looking for a skill that is not on the wizard skill list. :P
    It&#39;s a good suggestion, though. It certainly wouldn&#39;t hurt to add it into the incantation, and maybe I will do so, but then I&#39;m still looking for a skill that not on the wizard skill list.

Now that you have that extra bit of information, have you got any other suggestions, perhaps?
    <span style='color:darkgray'>&quot;I like to be passionate and sincere, but I also like to have fun and act like a dork... Geeks unite.&quot;
    &#160;</span>&#160;<span style='color:brightgray'>&#160;&#160;—Kurt Cobain</span>

Thread Information