View Poll Results: How should BR rangers be typified?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • The PHB method

13 52.00%
  • As non-spellcaster type (similar to CW)

7 28.00%
  • Variants for both PHB and non-spellcaster type

5 20.00%
  • Abstain

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by the Falcon@Apr 6 2004, 11:17 PM
    I don't think so. What about Ruornil? He's clearly in tune with nature. What about Kriesha? She controls natural elements in a certain way (the weather) and is also connected to predatorial animals, like wolves for instance. What about Nesirie? She also has a certain control over the natural elements and is associated with marine life (aquatic animals and plants), dolphins in particular. Those are only the obvious ones; with a little more imagination I'm sure I can find one way or another to make almost any Cerilian deity appropriate to grants spells to a ranger.
    Falcon, I think you hit the nail right on the head... While all deities are in one way or another connected to nature, Erik is in communion with nature!

For example, Ruornil is more mystical in his connection to the natural world (the moon, the night, the Shadow World), and Kriesha has strong ties to more savage parts of it (cold, ice, the winter, the wilderness in such conditions); furthermore, Nesirie is the Lady of the Seas, as at least one person I know put it.

However, these perspectives are only too narrow and personal for someone to truly associate them with the greater picture that is nature, since each one of them catches only a glimpse of it, not the whole. But there stands Erik, who does not see only the mystifying midnight sky, or the harsh northlands, or the untamed waters; he perceives them as one, and this - not by chance, I presume - reminds me of the old druidic traditions which divided the world in Three Realms: the Air, the Earth, and the Sea...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by RaspK_FOG@Apr 7 2004, 12:25 AM
    Falcon, I think you hit the nail right on the head... While all deities are in one way or another connected to nature, Erik is in communion with nature!
    For example, Ruornil is more mystical in his connection to the natural world (the moon, the night, the Shadow World), and Kriesha has strong ties to more savage parts of it (cold, ice, the winter, the wilderness in such conditions); furthermore, Nesirie is the Lady of the Seas, as at least one person I know put it.
    Exactly!! And that's why Erik is the only one with druids, while all those other deities have rangers. It makes perfect sense. Glad we sorted that out. ^_^
    <span style='color:darkgray'>&quot;I like to be passionate and sincere, but I also like to have fun and act like a dork... Geeks unite.&quot;
    &#160;</span>&#160;<span style='color:brightgray'>&#160;&#160;—Kurt Cobain</span>

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good; I am glad as well...

I would actually go one step forward and say that some deities (or most of them, even all of them, for that) have two orders: the more deifically (not divinely, pay attention to the difference) connected, and the more nature-oriented. However, unlike Erik who has both druids and rangers, the rest can have only rangers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by RaspK_FOG@Apr 8 2004, 07:18 AM
    I would actually go one step forward and say that some deities (or most of them, even all of them, for that) have two orders: the more deifically (not divinely, pay attention to the difference) connected, and the more nature-oriented. However, unlike Erik who has both druids and rangers, the rest can have only rangers.
    Actually, I also allow Ruornil to have rangers. ^_^
    Hope that didn&#39;t spoil your mood.
    <span style='color:darkgray'>&quot;I like to be passionate and sincere, but I also like to have fun and act like a dork... Geeks unite.&quot;
    &#160;</span>&#160;<span style='color:brightgray'>&#160;&#160;—Kurt Cobain</span>

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by the Falcon+Apr 9 2004, 11:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (the Falcon &#064; Apr 9 2004, 11:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RaspK_FOG@Apr 8 2004, 07:18 AM
    Hope that didn&#39;t spoil your mood. [/b][/quote]
    :blink: Why would that ever spoil my mood?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by RaspK_FOG@Apr 10 2004, 06:22 PM
    :blink: Why would that ever spoil my mood?
    Well, you just stated that only Erik would have druids and everybody else could only have rangers, when I realized that I&#39;m in favor of giving Ruornil druids as well. You seemed to be glad we came to some sort of consensus, so I hope I didn&#39;t spoil it for you.
    Anyhoo, there is a "historical" precedent for druids of Ruornil: Treucht. That&#39;s why I think it&#39;s only fair to allow it; my Brecht campaign wouldn&#39;t be the same without it. ^_^
    In my campaign, many priests of Ruornil multiclass as cleric/druids. (I use the UA variant that their caster level stack—hell, I&#39;ve even been doing that way before UA came out.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    :lol: Now I see why I missed it: you wrote:
    Hope that didn&#39;t spoil your mood.
    In any case, that is your choice, so why should I mind?

Furthermore, as I was saying some time ago in another thread here, I am writing up a variant that allows me the most of freedom regarding a magic system, works without levels, and tones down the overall power of a spell-caster without disallowing him any of his abilities; it even opens up his ability to cast spells&#33;

What I am doing is writing up a rules system that combines the casting threshold logic introduced from Sovereign Stone and the background logic of D&D for spell-casting classes. Each spell has a casting threshold according to its potency (some have CTs that go by the hundreds&#33, and each character has both a caster level (as is common) and a spell-casting bonus. Whenever you cast a spell, you roll 1d20, add any modifiers you have and your spell-casting bonus, and add them up to a spell-casting point pool; when these points add up to being equal or more than the spell&#39;s CT, the spell is finally cast and takes effect. Armour applies a penalty to spell-casting checks which cannot lower the points you add to the pool below 0.

In my system, there are three types of magic for which your spell-casting bonus as granted by each class may stack:
    • Arcane
    • Divine
      • Nature
      • Priestly

Thus, a druid/priest in my world will cast any divine spell with a combined caster level and spellcasting bonus. However, a bard/priest will cast cure light wounds either as a bard or as a priest...

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, I&#39;m closing this poll.

The results are:

The PHB method - 13
    As a non-spellcaster - 7
    Variants for both - 5
    Abstain - 0

As I interpret these results the default ranger should be the PHB version with a variant for a non-spellcasting one.
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information