View Poll Results: How should BR rangers be typified?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • The PHB method

13 52.00%
  • As non-spellcaster type (similar to CW)

7 28.00%
  • Variants for both PHB and non-spellcaster type

5 20.00%
  • Abstain

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads
    In keeping with the spirit of the process used for Chap 2, I'm going to start some polls for Chap 1 subject matter. This is an attempt to quantify opinions and as a default the polls will remain outstanding for approximately 2 weeks.

CW refers to Complete Warrior. Since CW is not OGC we can't simply retype it into the BRCS, we would have to develop something similar. Also, since not everyone - especially in the international market - has ready access to any of the D&D books, except the core 3 (or the SRD that includes them) it is keeping with the policy of the BRCS to not 'require' use of any other books in order to use the ruleset.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Even though this is not canonical Birthright, a very interesting concept regarding rangers I once heard of includes allowing only fey and elves any access to spells, and all races having access to another class much like the Wheel of Time's Woodsman; this is in par for those who want Sidhelien to be unique in their nature magic and do not appreciate the canonical non-availability of elven druids... well, mostly! I still cannot understand why players cannot accept setting material and go for the challenge (not the handicap but a REAL challenge&#33 of playing an elven priest of Erik (a druid, not a typical cleric) who has to keep his mouth shut when he walks in elven lands... Quite a chance for juicy role-playing, isn't it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Results so far are:

Per the PHB - 8
    Non-spellcasting ranger - 5
    variant for both - 5
    Abstain - 0

Which appears to be that the PHB Ranger would be the default with a variant for a non-spellcasting one. Again, things could change.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've voted for using them straight out of the PHb. I would tweak them a little bit though, stating that elven and half-elven rangers of 4th level or higher gain their spells from the forces of nature, while all other rangers of 4th level or higher must be devoted to a specific deity. To me, that's the easiest way to go, while still not going against the flavor of Br.
    <span style='color:darkgray'>&quot;I like to be passionate and sincere, but I also like to have fun and act like a dork... Geeks unite.&quot;
    &#160;</span>&#160;<span style='color:brightgray'>&#160;&#160;—Kurt Cobain</span>

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, it is not fierctly against the setting&#39;s material, and I suppose it&#39;s interesting to have it that only lesser followers of Erik (since no other deity has a connection to nature in Birthright) with a bent towards stalking and fighting become rangers, and that rangers of elven heritage can cast spells normally due to their being one with nature.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, it is not directly against the setting&#39;s material, and I suppose it&#39;s interesting to have it that only lesser followers of Erik (since no other deity has a connection to nature in Birthright) with a bent towards stalking and fighting become rangers, and that rangers of elven heritage can cast spells normally due to their being one with nature. However, you should remember that all Birthright rangers normally got their spells from nature.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by the Falcon@Apr 4 2004, 07:10 AM
    I&#39;ve voted for using them straight out of the PHb. I would tweak them a little bit though, stating that elven and half-elven rangers of 4th level or higher gain their spells from the forces of nature, while all other rangers of 4th level or higher must be devoted to a specific deity. To me, that&#39;s the easiest way to go, while still not going against the flavor of Br.
    Interesting concept. But as RaspK_Fog points out only Erik has the necessary affinity for nature to meet the deity requirement.

This could cause problems, IMO, in areas like Vosgaard where Erik is all but unknown and they do not have a shortage of rangers. Also Belnik and Erik are at odds so politically this could even more of an impact. Gaining spells from a deity implies some sort of worship of that deity in order to get the affinity to the deity that goes with the granting of spells.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by irdeggman+Apr 6 2004, 11:04 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (irdeggman &#064; Apr 6 2004, 11:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-the Falcon@Apr 4 2004, 07:10 AM
    I&#39;ve voted for using them straight out of the PHb. I would tweak them a little bit though, stating that elven and half-elven rangers of 4th level or higher gain their spells from the forces of nature, while all other rangers of 4th level or higher must be devoted to a specific deity. To me, that&#39;s the easiest way to go, while still not going against the flavor of Br.
    Interesting concept. But as RaspK_Fog points out only Erik has the necessary affinity for nature to meet the deity requirement.

This could cause problems, IMO, in areas like Vosgaard where Erik is all but unknown and they do not have a shortage of rangers. Also Belnik and Erik are at odds so politically this could even more of an impact. Gaining spells from a deity implies some sort of worship of that deity in order to get the affinity to the deity that goes with the granting of spells.[/b][/quote]
    Which is why I am planning to make non-spellcasting rangers available in my campaigns. I&#39;ve got no problems with the BRCS not including this option though since it seems rather dependant on a given DM&#39;s interpretation of where ranger spells come from and is different from the original material.

My current leanings for my campaign (YMMV) is that all cultures have spell-less rangers. In addition some followers/devotees of Erik become standard, spell-equipped rangers and some elves/half-elves that are particularly attuned to the natural world are spell-equipped rangers. I haven&#39;t decided which set of mechanics I am going to use for the spell-less rangers, though I have read a number of good options. Fortunately I can kind of fudge this right now since none of my PCs or major NPCs are rangers.

-- Blair

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the idea of mundane versions of Rangers, as well as other alternatives to the typical spell-casting types (such as the Huntsman, a totemic shapeshifting version I came up with for the Vos and maybe Rjurik or other "barbarians" with more primal connections).

For most human lands I prefer mundane woodsmen and foresters as the default kind of ranger. For elves, the spellcaster type would be a good fit (though I wonder about animal affinity and companions...).

In general, I think the PHB Ranger should be available to anyone of any race, with the assertion that they&#39;re not typical in any human society. In other words, a distinctly PC class suitable for heroes and "special" individuals. The more typical ranger would know his craft well, but not delve into the mystical aspects of that path. Hence, I&#39;d be happy to see a &#39;toned down&#39; NPC version of the ranger class that does not need to be perfectly power-balanced with the PC class. This might help fill out the ranks of scouts and other frontier/wilderness types throughout Cerilia with skilled professionals, without assuming that all of the veterans of 4th level and above are low-level spellcasters.

Osprey

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by irdeggman+Apr 6 2004, 12:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (irdeggman &#064; Apr 6 2004, 12:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-the Falcon@Apr 4 2004, 07:10 AM
    Interesting concept. But as RaspK_Fog points out only Erik has the necessary affinity for nature to meet the deity requirement.[/b][/quote]
    I don&#39;t think so. What about Ruornil? He&#39;s clearly in tune with nature. What about Kriesha? She controls natural elements in a certain way (the weather) and is also connected to predatorial animals, like wolves for instance. What about Nesirie? She also has a certain control over the natural elements and is associated with marine life (aquatic animals and plants), dolphins in particular. Those are only the obvious ones; with a little more imagination I&#39;m sure I can find one way or another to make almost any Cerilian deity appropriate to grants spells to a ranger.
    <span style='color:darkgray'>&quot;I like to be passionate and sincere, but I also like to have fun and act like a dork... Geeks unite.&quot;
    &#160;</span>&#160;<span style='color:brightgray'>&#160;&#160;—Kurt Cobain</span>

Thread Information