Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a BR variant for dwarves:

The religion of the dwarves is ancient and closely linked to the earth. So instead of being primarily clerics, dwarven priests are instead druids (just like priests of Erik are druids).

If you're also into allowing druids to control sources, then you have a neat explanation why wizards stay out of dwarven realms.

Cheers
    B
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Green Knight said:

> Here`s a BR variant for dwarves:The religion of the dwarves is

> ancient and closely linked to the earth. So instead of being primarily

> clerics, dwarven priests are instead druids (just like priests of Erik

> are druids).If you`re also into allowing druids to control sources,

> then you have a neat explanation why wizards stay out of dwarven

> realms.CheersB

Sources are stores of meibhaighl and thus, in my approach, linked to the

SW and ideas "unpredicted change". I see opposition to "unpredicted

change" as a major part of dwarven culture. I`m not mightily keen on this

interpretation as an explanation for mainstream dwarven religion, although

it could be good for individuals (who are probably also outcasts from

dawrven society). I used the 2e earth elementalist for an outcast dwarf

NPC in one of my old old old BR games.

--

John Machin

(trithemius@kallisti.net.nz)

"Nothing is more beautiful than to know the All."

- Athanasius Kircher, `The Great Art of Knowledge`.
    NOTE: Messages posted by Birthright-L are automatically inserted posts originating from the mailing list linked to the forum.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Green Knight@Mar 25 2004, 02:07 PM
    Here's a BR variant for dwarves:

The religion of the dwarves is ancient and closely linked to the earth. So instead of being primarily clerics, dwarven priests are instead druids (just like priests of Erik are druids).

If you're also into allowing druids to control sources, then you have a neat explanation why wizards stay out of dwarven realms.

Cheers
    B
    I'm not sure if I think this is the best solution to the scenario you have described. THere are mainly two points that I feel makes the druid class unsuitable. The first is that the druid as presented in the PHB is mainly focused on nature in the sense of living plants and animals. While the rock and earth the dwarves favour can most certainly be described as part of nature, the emphasis of the druid class' abilities are not suited to capture this part of nature. The second point is perhaps more of a personal flavour issue, with the use of sources for priests being something I prefer limited to the followers of Ruornil.

While I agree with the idea of priests of Erik being druids accesing sources, I prefer this in combination with there existing regular priests of Erik who use temple holdings. This way one gets an interesting conflict between those who favour development and those who prefer the preservation of the pristine wilderness. For the dwarves my soultion would be to create a prestige class based loosely on the druid, but with powers more linked to earth and the ground than plants. An example would be a version of Transport via Plants that is linked to some rock instead.

Another question would be how comon such dwarven druids were, and if there was any conflict between them and the regular clergy.

Cheers,
    E

Downloads
    Uploads
    I took some time to write my suggestion for a dwarven Earth mage-priest, but the board failed when I posted it; such magnificence could not be beheld by others than I... :P Just kidding!

In any case, I will post it again in a few hours, when I find the time, as well as a Dwarven Artificer prestige class, both inspired by Codex Mysterium for the Sovereign Stone campaign setting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Earth Master
    5-level prestige class for Cerilian dwarves and giants
    Earth Masters are connected to the stone they so love with more than the rest of their kin; they can resist its power as much as harness it.
    The most common candidates for becoming Earth Masters are dwarven clerics of Moradin, but others can become Earth Masters as well.
    Hit Die: d8.

BAB: Low
    BFS: High
    BRS: Low
    BWS: High

Requirements
    To qualify to become an Earth Master, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:
    Race: Dwarf or giant.
    Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 5 ranks, Knowledge (nature) 5 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 10 ranks.
    Spells: Must be able to cast 4th-level divine spells.

Class Skills
    Concentration, Craft, Heal, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (religion), Spellcraft, and Survival.
    Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Class Features

Spells: +1 caster level at every even-numbered class level.

(1st level)
    Earth Mastery:
    Earth Master casts spells with the [Earth] descriptor at +1 caster level.

(2nd level)
    Earth's Resilience I:
    acid resistance 5, SR 15 vs. [Acid] and [Earth] spells.

(3rd level)
    Earth's Hardiness:
    Earth Masters cast Abjuration spells at +1 caster level.

(4th level)
    Earth's Resilience II:
    acid resistance 10, SR 20 vs. [Acid] and [Earth] spells; cold and fire resistance 5, SR 15 vs. [Cold], [Fire], and [Water] spells.

(5th level)
    Earth's Call:
    Earth Masters can substitute any spell he has prepared for the day to cast a summon monster spell of equal or lesser level to summon an earth elemental with a caster level equal to their caster level in the divine spell-casting class that grants them access to the prestige class + their class level in the prestige class + 1 from the Earth Mastery ability. The spell slot for the substituted spell is used for the day, and all rules regarding spontaneous casting apply in regard to this use of summon monster.

Earth's Embrace: Earth Master has access to spells with the [Earth] descriptor as a druid of his caster level in the spellcasting class that grants him access to the prestige class. That means he can prepare spells from the druidic spell list, as long as they are spells with the [Earth] descriptor.

Thread Information