Thread: Getting started

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have never played Birthright before (though I have been roleplaying for about 6 years now) and the only materials I have read are the free downloads on this site and on Wizards of the Coast. I like the setting nevertheless, and I would very much like getting some advice how to get started, which 2nd edition book should buy/dl (if any)?
    Could anyone point me to an ongoing Internet game, which would accept a “noob” like me and uses 3rd edition?

Thanks for the good work you have been doing!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Having been in your position not that long ago, I'd suggest that the "ruins of empire" book (if you plan on setting in anuire, which I'd recommend too) is indispensible.

It's part of the campaign setting boxed set, get a paper copy if you can or print it out.

I'd recommend using the adventure at the back of Ruins of Empire as a beginning point, and starting off in Roesone.

After that finishes(should be ~2 sessions), look to Doom's Roesone campaign for further inspiration (sorry Dr T., but it's a great resource ).

If you want to keep adventuring, look to pick up Sword and Crown or that one that has Manslayer in it (the name escapes me).

If you want to head more domain-like, get Legends of the Hero Kings.

Good luck and welcome. Birthright is the setting I've always wanted, I hope it is for you too.

CM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Reimer Bo@Mar 14 2004, 10:13 AM
    I have never played Birthright before (though I have been roleplaying for about 6 years now) and the only materials I have read are the free downloads on this site and on Wizards of the Coast. I like the setting nevertheless, and I would very much like getting some advice how to get started, which 2nd edition book should buy/dl (if any)?
    Could anyone point me to an ongoing Internet game, which would accept a “noob” like me and uses 3rd edition?

Thanks for the good work you have been doing!
    The ones I'd recommend getting are:

(1) The Boxset (it has the 2nd ed rulebook and Ruins of Empire - the Anuire setting)

(2) The Book of Priestcraft (Has the different religious sects and some very good info on Investiture)

(3) The Book of Magecraft (Has the relationships of races with types of magic, a lot of info on ley lines, some info on battle magic {although it is rather poorly presented and real confusing in how to use it, IMO})

Depending on which areas you want to run in I'd get:

The Rjurik Highlands

Havens of the Great Bay (Brecht lands)

Cities in the Sun (Khinasi lands) {IMO the most colorful but most difficult to role-play culture) {This one has has the expanded naval battle rules}

Tribes of the Heartless Waste (Vos lands)

Legends of the Hero Kings has a lot of adventure ideas within it - so if I was going to get a single adenture based book that is the one I'd get. It has some short term adventures and some domain-level based ones too.

I would stay away from the Sword of Roele (IMO a really poor adventure, mostly a Forgotten Realms adventurethat was rewritten to sort of capture some BR themes, but really doesn't work all that well)

Blood Enemies is likewise a poorly written book, IMO. It does have some decent info on some of the Awnshegh, but wasn't really written consistently.

Any of the Player's Secrets could be useful - depending on where you want to run - they are also cheap, well they were when the printed versions were available. I think that they are in the same price range as are the other more substantial books when pdf versions are bought from SVGames.

CMOnkey the Sword and Crown introduces Rhoube.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Birthright - I think you will really enjoy it
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    I see Birthright as a mature role playing system.Having returned to college at 34 I am planning on using all of that knowedge and starting up my first Birthright campaign.I went on ebay and withn two weeks and about 150 bucks i can honestly say i have ALL of the products available most of them still in the shrinkwrap. The hardest ones to find and the most expensive will be the box set,the book of magecraft and the book of priestcraft.I love it.good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ebay is the place to go if you want to get the BR stuff. The best stuff to get is, of course, the Boxed Set. The expansions Havens of the Great Bay, Cities of the Sun, Rjurik Highlands and Tribes of the Heartless Wastes all give an overview of the non-Anuirean realms and are good to have if you want to travel or play a different race.

If you just have to have EVERYTHING (like I do), you can pretty much find BR lots on Ebay pretty cheap. I bought all of the BR stuff for about 130 bucks.

I also have just about everything on PDF format. I'm willing to share if it is legal. I don't see why it isn't since it's all out of print, right?

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is most certainly a copyright violation, unless you have actually

paid for the items...doesn`t help that it`s out of print.

Just you be careful so that the CR45, 30HD WotC Lawyer doesn`t get you

;-)

-----Original Message-----

[mailto:BIRTHRIGHT-L@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM] On Behalf Of Amaranth

Sent: 23. mars 2004 18:32

To: BIRTHRIGHT-L@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM

Subject: Re: Getting started [2#2351]

This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.

You can view the entire thread at:

http://www.birthright.net/forums/ind...=ST&f=2&t=2351

Amaranth wrote:

I also have just about everything on PDF format. I`m willing to share

if it is legal. I don`t see why it isn`t since it`s all out of print,

right?

Birthright-l Archives:

http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    I totally have all of the stuff in print form in addition to PDF format.

If it is illegal to share PDF documents, why is it legal to sell them? SVGames has all of the Birthright stuff for sale there in PDF format. How does that work?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Amaranth@Mar 23 2004, 05:10 PM

If it is illegal to share PDF documents, why is it legal to sell them? SVGames has all of the Birthright stuff for sale there in PDF format. How does that work?
    For the same reason that it is illegal to share music.

Copyright protection.

SVGames "bought" the rights to sell pdf versions of the material. WotC used to sell pdf versions of their material but got out of the business and sold (or licensed) that part to SVGames.

Don't get caught up with the arguement of "this doesn't make sense", as I said it is a legal issue and those seldom make sense.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    SVGames are licensed to sell it.

Imagine you have paper copies of all the BR books. It would still be illegal to photocopy them and give out to your friends...

================================================== ==========

Fra: Amaranth <brnetboard@BIRTHRIGHT.NET>

Dato: 2004/03/23 Tue PM 11:10:33 CET

Til: BIRTHRIGHT-L@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM

Emne: Re: Getting started [2#2351]

This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.

You can view the entire thread at:

http://www.birthright.net/forums/ind...=ST&f=2&t=2351

Amaranth wrote:

================================================== ==========

Cheers

Bjørn

-------------------------------------------------

WebMail fra Tele2 http://www.tele2.no

-------------------------------------------------
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Thread Information