> I brewed a new magic system based on the magic system

> of Soverign Stone...

Other than channeling, what have you done to revise the magic system in

Soveriegn Stone to adapt it to BR?

Kenneth Gauck

kgauck@mchsi.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    TO avoid any misunderstanding, the whole point I made there was reference to a home-brewed spell system I create for D&D in general (and it could apply in BR as well, I suppose), where spell-casting is resolved through the Casting Threshold mechanic and armour only inhibits spell-casting due to penalties it applies on spell-casting rolls; however, as a less generic comment regarding BR, I once suggested the use of Sovereign Stone&#39;s system in a slightly modified fashion to rework realm spells&#33;

Downloads
    Uploads
    The main problem I confronted in adapting the SS magical system was the

casting threshold itself. I could use the SS spells just fine, but they are

neither standard, nor so BR-like that I could just forget about the PHB and

use the SS spell list. [SS spells are an elemental system, great for elves

IMO, but not general casting.] So I had to devise a system for assigning a

threshold to PHB spells, spells familiar to potential players IMC. After

some tinkering I came up with a DC to cast every spell of 10 + (8 x the

spell level). The check in question is a concentration check with caster

level as a bouns. Low level spells are somewhat easier to cast, very high

level spells are rarer, but more dramatic because of that. I think it suits

the flavor of magic in the setting. For a variety of reasons, I only use it

for divine spellcasters, and am developing a noun-verb system (based most

closely on Ars Magica) for arcane magic.

How did you get past the threshold problem?

Kenneth Gauck

kgauck@mchsi.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don&#39;t know if you got wind of it, but one of the books in the SS series is Codex Mysterium, which not only explains the magic system in agonizing detail, it also has a vast number of pages regarding how to assign casting thresholds for new spells through a series of steps (Range of spell, maximum size of target affected, destructive power, etc.). What I still do (meaning I am not yet finished) is work a similar listing of tables to make do with the casting threshold of existing spells; I simply use the D&D magic system with the spell system of SS&#33;

I divide spell-casters into arcanists (bards, sages [the equivalent of the BR magician...], occultists [... and wizard, respectively], sorcerers), ecclesiastic (knight [basically a cross cavalier-paladin, who needs only be lawful], priest [clerics]), and natural (druid, ranger, witch [who thematically is not far off the druid]); ecclesiastic and natural magic are both of divine origin. Classes grant a spell-casting bonus according to their spell-casting potency (knights and rangers add ½ their class level, bards, sages, and witches add ¾ their class level, while druids, occultists, priests, and sorcerers add their class level), but this applies to spells cast from the same source; thus, a bard/priest would cast a light spell as either a bard or a priest of the sppropriate level, but a bard/sage or bard/sorcerer, say, would cast the same spell for the total bonus granted by the two classes.

Divine magicks count as if from the same source, so a druid/priest, for example, would cast a cure spell with both bonuses. However, the setting implies a lot of multi-classing restrictions: no druid/priest for a god of industrialisation&#33;

Of course, spells are learned in a similar manner as elements; for example, you earn different ammounts of Spell Familiarity points according to your level in the appropriate branch of magic. In effect, your caster level is equal to your spell-casting level in each branch separately, regardless of spell-casting bonuses.

If you have any more questions, or just feel like flaming me, please, do go ahead&#33;

Downloads
    Uploads
    I picked up SS about two years ago, and tried to convert during 2002. The

Codex Mysterium certainly looks worth getting a hold of. Thanks for the

pointer.

Kenneth Gauck

kgauck@mchsi.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    You are welcome&#33;

I forgot to mention that the book has additional information apart from the magic and spell system information, including campaign specific information, new prestige classes, new feats, new spells, as well as a listing of all spells in print regarding SS up to the poing the book was published.

Thread Information