Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by irdeggman@Mar 10 2004, 11:03 PM
    You would apply the the average of the parents' bloodscores at conceptiion, I would think. Since actions taken by the father that may increase/decrease his blood score would not affect his children. I guess the mother's actions could affect it, but for simplicity and consistency I wouldn't go there.
    I tend to dissagree on this... I belive anything acieved (insofar as actual score) Should be counted that occours before the birth of the heir. Mother OR Father. However after conception any additioinal power gain must be transferred via investiture. This is my opinion, as a newbie to birthright setting.

I believe Retiring Regent Characters into positions as advisiors is a good idea... It allows complete investiture without nessisarilly killing or dehabilitating an old fav. Though other setups are certainly possible.

As far as bloodline dilution... erm... I prefer... nm...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Ksaturn+Jun 29 2004, 07:34 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ksaturn @ Jun 29 2004, 07:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-irdeggman@Mar 10 2004, 11:03 PM
    You would apply the the average of the parents&#39; bloodscores at conceptiion, I would think. Since actions taken by the father that may increase/decrease his blood score would not affect his children. I guess the mother&#39;s actions could affect it, but for simplicity and consistency I wouldn&#39;t go there.
    I tend to dissagree on this... I belive anything acieved (insofar as actual score) Should be counted that occours before the birth of the heir. Mother OR Father. However after conception any additioinal power gain must be transferred via investiture. This is my opinion, as a newbie to birthright setting.

I believe Retiring Regent Characters into positions as advisiors is a good idea... It allows complete investiture without nessisarilly killing or dehabilitating an old fav. Though other setups are certainly possible.

As far as bloodline dilution... erm... I prefer... nm... [/b][/quote]
    A good place to look for the basis for dilution of bloodlines is the Book of Regency - a &#39;free&#39; 2nd ed BR download from WotC.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think this Bloodline Birth System is is almost no different from what is explained in the revison for Chapther 2, yet it but I like the idea of the varrient of the 1d6 roll is a great idea, I think it perfectly sutable that a child&#39;s bloodline can sometime be stronger than thier parents, or much weaker.

However it seems that that due to the rules Bloodline Deveation, Inbreeding will be the only insurance of the survial of the bloodlines( besides investure). Sure if two nobles get togetter and have children, thier offsprings will only have only have half that bloodline scores, as well they have to rule well for a long time for any type of increase. This variance gives small blancing chance that the Bloodline could get stronger over time. But then again it a small chance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    in my campaign,
    bloodline strenght is numeric so, the child&#39;s bloodline strenght is very easy too calculate : is half of the average of the parent&#39;s bloodline strenght
    And more, feat as "great heritage" or like be increase this score...
    Birth is the most param of the score, so the strenght with generation go to decrease.

Downloads
    Uploads
    IMC I intend to use a system where the first born child will use the average score of his parents. Any later children will have their score reduced by 1d6 relative to the previous child. My intention is to make the first born child more attractive both relative to a marriage situation, and as an incentive to try keep their first children alive to prevent the bloodlines being diluted too much. I see this as one of the reasons why many bloodlines have gone alomost to extinction in Anuire now, as too many blooded first and second born children are killed long before able to produce any offspring and pass on their higher bloodline.

Well, normally all first born kids will have lower bloodline scores than later kids, as both parents would have the time to raise their bloodlines before the next child... So really the last kid will always be the best candidate in terms of rulership from bloodline strength.

Honestly, this sorta puts an interesting change on the whole general idea of having the first born being the most important... Rather cool change that way, heheh. So the first borns maybe more like our last borns, ie spoiled and doted upon, while the last borns are raised to rule and take over the family business

Though, if we want to keep the first borns as being the most important kids then lowering the subsequent kids bloodlines by 1d6 would probably work... just one question then, why is it lower when the parents bloodlines are higher? It suggests that the parents bloodlines go down when they have kids, and that would really put a stopper on blooded characters having kids heheh. Dropping their bloodline by even 1d4 each time they decide to have a kid, what if they have twins... then 2d4 ouch... a definate way to show why there is still just 1% blooded people in the BR world.
    "Who was the first that forged the deadly blade? Of rugged steel his savage soul was made." --Tibullus

"Qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum." --Vegetius

"Men grow tired of sleep, love, singing and dancing sooner than war." --Homer

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Tcharazazel

I kind of get your drift on the parents weekening of thier bloodlines after they have children. It kind of make you wonder what happens when all the major and minor bloodlines become extinct. I don&#39;t think that the Birthright campaign was ment to go that far., say a mabye 500 years down the road to what it is now (551 MR). The great heritage template is a great way to give a boost to a scions blooline. But since all it takes is a flashy explination in one&#39;s charater background to get the template. It may possibly take the rarity of the template away.

I guess I&#39;m a big fan of rolling the bloodlines. Even if the scion is a child of another scion. Mabye if the d20 Atlas team wrote which Families who are more likely have the great heritage template so the template would seem more relevent.And possibly balence the campaing a little more.

Again I love that 1d6 role to see if the scion has a little bit more of a bloodline score or a little less.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Tcharazazel

I kind of get your drift on the parents weekening of thier bloodlines after they have children. It kind of make you wonder what happens when all the major and minor bloodlines become extinct. I don&#39;t think that the Birthright campaign was ment to go that far., say a mabye 500 years down the road to what it is now (551 MR). The great heritage template is a great way to give a boost to a scions blooline. But since all it takes is a flashy explination in one&#39;s charater background to get the template. It may possibly take the rarity of the template away.

I guess I&#39;m a big fan of rolling the bloodlines. Even if the scion is a child of another scion. Mabye if the d20 Atlas team wrote which Families who are more likely have the great heritage template so the template would seem more relevent.And possibly balence the campaing a little more.

Again I love that 1d6 roll to see if the scion has a little bit more of a bloodline score or a little less.

Again I love that 1d6 roll to see if the scion has a little bit more of a bloodline score or a little less.
    Don said the 1d6 was an automatic subtraction thus is would always be less, which was my point, that it would mean the parents would likely be loosing some of their bloodline strength to reflect this loss in the childs bloodline.

If you mean that the 1d6 now is like 1-3 bloodline stays the same, 4 bloodline goes down 1, 5 bloodline goes down 2, and 6 bloodline goes down 3. Or some such idea like that, then it would make sense for the parents to make that roll really, and not the kid.

If you want to keep rolling the bloodlines for the kids then just set up an error margin for the average of the parents bloodlines maybe like 60% chance to have the parents average score, 35% to be less and 5% to be higher.

If lower then roll 1d6 and subtract it from the average if higher roll 1d6 and add it to the average.

If you prefer to have more chance involded then:

60% average

10% 1d4 lower

10% 1d6 lower

5% 1d8 lower

5% 1d6 higher

If you prefer to have it more balanced between the lowering and raising the bloodline, then just split it 20% and 20% and have it be 10% 1d4 higher/lower and 10% 1d6 higher/lower. Heh, just depends on how nice you want to be to your PCs.

Well, for me it took the creation of an Empire to get the great herritage template so really it depends on how rare the DM wants to make it. Just doing one flashy thing shouldnt get you the template, rather needing to do some monumentus things or flashy things over a long period of time period of time. Thus, its not so easy to get it
    "Who was the first that forged the deadly blade? Of rugged steel his savage soul was made." --Tibullus

"Qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum." --Vegetius

"Men grow tired of sleep, love, singing and dancing sooner than war." --Homer

Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally i suprised this hasent come up but... Historically not all cultures had the same limitations on marridge. i.e. in some cultures the rulers & bigshots could have 2 or even 50 wives/concubines. Whiles this goes agaist the grain for say... anuire, it works very well for wild cultures or desert cultures. one good working idea i saw in a book involved the emporer having 0-1 &#39;wife&#39; or &#39;emperess&#39; and many concubines(as wife but no political power or meaning). in BR terms it is easy to see how this stem an entire network of minor/tainted bloodlines while still maintaining the prestige of the &#39;True Heir&#39;... also less infighting(or perhaps a great deal more) after death of the ruler as many still claim some vestige of the true line.

This meshes VERY poorly with weaking bloodline cuase more children.

As for the Great heritage i agree with Tcharazazel. Not nessisarily the creation of an empire but a major part in such an act in any case. (the original BLs of the duchies / the lietenants of Michael Roloea / thier direct desendants / Ect.)

An alternative to Don Es idea is to have only one out of a group of siblings attain the GH template at a time(i.e. the Heir has the template but if he dies it passes to his next youngest brother)

Thread Information